Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think many are now very doubtful about this - I didn’t think that part of the Radio Derby interview was persuasive 

Which bits did you find persuasive?

I personally thought none of it was.  Pearce - despite being ceo - either 'isn't party to that information', 'is working hard to sort things out' or 'is hoping the money is going to arrive soon'.

None of which really tells us anything.  He used loads of words in a reassuring voice to say absolutely nothing at all.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well based on today’s interviews it seems the Sheikh basically has an option over the club. Documents are agreed, closing conditions are cleared, but he’s not closing (and covid probably gives him an excuse). It’s clear they are still talking so there must be renegotiations going on, or the Sheikh must be awaiting money from other investors - or both. I’m sure MM is ensuring he has liquidity because he may soon need it - it’s clear the club’s cash was run down in anticipation of a December closing. If he does end up talking to Dell, their negotiating position will be as strong as the Sheikh’s but I think he’ll be better at reading the runes with those guys. One possible outcome of all of this is that he sells but retains a minority stake - that doesn’t sound a great option for anyone. 
I still reckon a deal with the Sheikh is likely to be the best option, especially if he’s put together an international group of investors. But it’s becoming harder and harder to tell 

By the sounds of it, the reason why the takeover hasn’t gone through is simply because the money hasn’t been transferred yet. The fact it still hasn’t been sent after about two months waiting for it suggest to me they have no intention of sending it. Utterly bizzare, but it’s the way it seems to me, and I’m concerned that, going by today’s interviews, Mel doesn’t appear to have any alternative funding planned.

I think the most likely resolution to all this is the club defaulting to MSD. Then we’d just have to hope to goodness they don’t just asset strip us.

1 minute ago, Gritty said:

I personally thought none of it was.  Pearce - despite being ceo - either 'isn't party to that information', 'is working hard to sort things out' or 'is hoping the money is going to arrive soon'.

None of which really tells us anything.  He used loads of words in a reassuring voice to say absolutely nothing at all.

I was once the ceo of a business, part of which was disposed of by the shareholder without any knowledge involvement of me.

Its not illegal. The hierarchy is simply owner ->director->manager so if the owner wants to do something he doesn't need the others on side.

Bear in mind dcfc is a private limited company under the sole ultimate control of Mel.

1 hour ago, europia said:

Yes absolutely. However those who choose to sit at the head of the table have to be accountable for the decisions that they make. Obviously Mr Morris is reluctant to part with more of his wealth. Thing is the perilous situation that DCFC finds itself in, is a direct result of the way the club has been run. Perhaps Sam Rush was given too much freedom during those crazy days of wasteful spending? Having said that, the club does employ an accountant to preside of the finances of the club. Issues may have been flagged up and ignored. Not an uncommon occurrence.  

The head of finance was Stephen Pearce

18 minutes ago, Gritty said:

Ok most of it was evasive. But he did say they are having ongoing conversations with BZG about operational matters which rang true and which indicates discussions are still ongoing. So a deal is clearly still possible

MM obviously put him forward to do those interviews after the awful publicity yesterday. A live interview on TalkSport on such matters is VERY risky (the RD one was recorded). I think it’s a mark of MM’s relationship with TalkSport that the interviewers were so utterly pathetic. 

32 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

and I’m concerned that, going by today’s interviews, Mel doesn’t appear to have any alternative funding planned.

Yes I think SP basically said: MM has no plan B because none is necessary. But he has to say that because the line is:  the BZG deal will happen. Clearly though the deal is not assured and no doubt MM will be ensuring he has cash on hand if required. And who knows, he might have feelers out to Dell or others.  

Awful time to be selling a club especially if you’re not in the best of health.  I wish him well 

Noticed it was still just 'representatives of the sheikh' being talked about (ie Midhat & maybe one other unspecified entity) in past and present terms, still no indication that anyone at the club has ever actually been able to speak to the main man himself!

I know you wouldn't expect him to be leading negotiations, but you might hope that at least one conversation has taken place which wasn't purely through intermediaries - we're not trying to flog them a bunch of old excavators, it's the custody & future of a 136 year old institution at stake!

3 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

This question gets right to the heart of the matter, if you were keen on buying the club why would you allow the club to sell off its best “playing” assess before the deal was done????

I think you're getting confused, the asses at the club aren't necessarily limited to the playing staff it's very apparent now. 

4 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

Listening to Sportscene on RD tonight, Ed. Dawes twice said that Mel Morris’s “health is not good”. This is news to me, could someone enlighten me on the details please?

Well he's being hounded to death by us 'fans' isn't he! Should we expect him to be a vision of health with the stress he must be under currently? Too many folk, it seems, are wholly unaware that there are things in life that are rather more important than how they spend their Saturday afternoons.

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes I think SP basically said: MM has no plan B because none is necessary. But he has to say that because the line is:  the BZG deal will happen. Clearly though the deal is not assured and no doubt MM will be ensuring he has cash on hand if required. And who knows, he might have feelers out to Dell or others.  

Awful time to be selling a club especially if you’re not in the best of health.  I wish him well 

Yeah that’s what worries me, this deal clearly isn’t going to happen, so I really hope we do have a plan B. Dell might be the only solution.

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You sound like my toddler. "I was right ner ner". 

If you are right then we'll done, congratulations. You got what you wanted all along, which was to be right. 

I am fresh out of medals though, so you will have to make do with our totally sincere congratulations. 

For what it's worth I'm convinced the whole thing will collapse. I'll just refrain from adopting a sneering "I told you so" approach because I'll be more worried about the immediate future of the football club I've followed since I was old enough to go to matches. 

Everything suggests it still could go ahead...Mel clearly still hopes and believes so.. 

I just struggle to happily imagine a scenario where the way its playing out bodes well. Whether the Sheik is desperately trying to convince new investors or wants to manipulate us to drive the price down or simply is taking an age to go through the small print...none of it makes me think we can't wait to flex our financial muscle in the transfer market for starters. 

All the initial excitement has definitely faded and I just can't wait for an outcome either way.

Archived