Abu Derby County

tinman

2 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Even if the takeover goes through I will still be a naysayer about BZG. It seems pretty obvious that if they do complete the purchase they will be doing so with some difficulty having scraped together the cash from various parties. Does anyone think there will be abundant funds once they have taken over?

We will be moving from an owner with plenty of cash who was prepared to put his hands into his pockets for the sake of the club, to owners who can't come up with cash on time.

Nay, nay, nay, I say!

How do you know they had difficulty 'scraping funds.' They could be seriously wealthy. 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

How do you know they had difficulty 'scraping funds.' They could be seriously wealthy. 

Because if they are seriously wealthy then why has it supposedly dragged on for months over funds? The new owners don't fill me with confidence currently and clearly others feel the same way 

6 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Because if they are seriously wealthy then why has it supposedly dragged on for months over funds? The new owners don't fill me with confidence currently and clearly others feel the same way 

I'm not 100% convinced about this deal to be honest but there's not much I can do to influence it. That said, how do you deduce that a deal dragging on for 'months' correlates to the proposed new owners not being 'serious wealthy'? People don't become, or stay, seriously wealthy by chucking their money around willy nilly without due diligence and process.

5 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Ah yes, the sign of a good businessperson is to throw money at buying another business without doing all the necessary due diligence checks and negotiating a fair market value. Just because he has/hasn't (use whichever version you like) got the money, doesn't mean he is likely to throw it at a football club to do a deal quickly.

8 minutes ago, roboto said:

Ah yes, the sign of a good businessperson is to throw money at buying another business without doing all the necessary due diligence checks and negotiating a fair market value. Just because he has/hasn't (use whichever version you like) got the money, doesn't mean he is likely to throw it at a football club to do a deal quickly.

I clearly didn't say that did I, they failed to buy 2 other clubs and we all know the Newcastle saga was dodgy , this has been going on just 3 months shy of a year after multiple statements from the club saying it will be done by this time etc then not being done , and have seen in other sports where the same family have gone to buy shares or trying to get boxing over to their country only to promise money that never came , im not exactly weeing in the wind saying that the finance might not be there , I could be wrong but at the moment it looks more likely to be right 

12 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

I'm not 100% convinced about this deal to be honest but there's not much I can do to influence it. That said, how do you deduce that a deal dragging on for 'months' correlates to the proposed new owners not being 'serious wealthy'? People don't become, or stay, seriously wealthy by chucking their money around willy nilly without due diligence and process.

Because " supposedly " the reason it has dragged on is because of the funds not being sent , so its a big if but if it is because of funds then..?

2 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I clearly didn't say that did I, they failed to buy 2 other clubs and we all know the Newcastle saga was dodgy

Can we say not paying your legal bills is 'dodgy'? ? I wonder why that doesn't fill some fans with confidence? But maybe it's just that they prefer to not part with their money until the very *last* possible moment?

15 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Theres due diligence and then theres the slow boat from china . 

Why invest in a football club at all?

Outside of a few exceptions most clubs (and in fact, a lot of sports teams in other areas) are a better way of losing money than they are of making it. Championship seems to be among the worst for that, as the payout for getting promoted is such a prize.

Pitching "currently loses x million a year, will need a bit of spending above that to have any realistic chance of being promoted, your investment will be constrained by regulations so you can't buy the league" to the hard realities of the financial world for investment I can't think is an easy one. SO you're pitching to people who want to own an English football club that buying championship with a view to promotion is a better bet than buying a premier league club.

I still have doubts this will ever solidify and if it ever does will it be more than 1 or 2 season's trying to get promoted and then back to decline and the investors wanting to stop paying out millions to stand still?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can we say not paying your legal bills is 'dodgy'? ? I wonder why that doesn't fill some fans with confidence? But maybe it's just that they prefer to not part with their money until the very *last* possible moment?

Not paying any type of bills is dodgy ? just like anyone else him hoping they come in and have deep pockets and good intentions , but this is Derby so what's the chance??

24 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Is it public knowledge why it's dragged on? It could be to do with lots of stuff. Whether they fill you with confidence or not, they might have a lot of money.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Outside of a few exceptions most clubs (and in fact, a lot of sports teams in other areas) are a better way of losing money than they are of making it. Championship seems to be among the worst for that, as the payout for getting promoted is such a prize.

Pitching "currently loses x million a year, will need a bit of spending above that to have any realistic chance of being promoted, your investment will be constrained by regulations so you can't buy the league" to the hard realities of the financial world for investment I can't think is an easy one. SO you're pitching to people who want to own an English football club that buying championship with a view to promotion is a better bet than buying a premier league club.

I still have doubts this will ever solidify and if it ever does will it be more than 1 or 2 season's trying to get promoted and then back to decline and the investors wanting to stop paying out millions to stand still?

How much would a premier league club cost compared to a championship club? And are any for sale? I guess it's like gambling. Some people like the long odds.

Just now, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Is it public knowledge why it's dragged on? It could be to do with lots of stuff. Whether they fill you with confidence or not, they might have a lot of money.

I did say supposedly ? i hope they have money and I hope they take us to the promised land , but is it the Derby way to fall onto a gold mine or is it the Derby way to fall into a gold mine and roll out of it into a coal mine??‍♂️?

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Same reason any wealthy person does, it’s a vanity project. Look at The city owners in their country you can find loads of city fans, because one of their own has made a premier league club successful. If this guy does it with Derby in the premier league then he will also become more of a celeb over their. He might also like football and likes the idea of owning a club. They know they won’t make money but they probably have an idea of how to spend it and a how much they can afford to loose.

38 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Most of the tightest gits I know are the wealthiest, Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves. 
They may well be playing hardball with Mel to squeeze every last bit out of the deal, doesn’t mean they don’t have the funds. 

4 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Same reason any wealthy person does, it’s a vanity project. Look at The city owners in their country you can find loads of city fans, because one of their own has made a premier league club successful. If this guy does it with Derby in the premier league then he will also become more of a celeb over their. He might also like football and likes the idea of owning a club. They know they won’t make money but they probably have an idea of how to spend it and a how much they can afford to loose.

Exactly. 

Imagine sitting amongst 30,000 people(in 2036) and watching players on £30k a week, who those fans love and worship, and thinking I own all of you! 

Ask Ryan Reynolds why he and Rob McElhenney have bought Wrexham. 

Because they can ?

6 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Most of the tightest gits I know are the wealthiest, Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves. 
They may well be playing hardball with Mel to squeeze every last bit out of the deal, doesn’t mean they don’t have the funds. 

There is an element of truth in this definitely... 

But.. If they have the kind of money that means they have big aspirations for Promotion etc, I don't think messing about for months, annoying prospective employees by 'not' paying them, being late into the transfer window, giving out vibes of not being straight dealerss etc seems a strange way to start. 

Archived