Abu Derby County

tinman

7 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I said this a while ago and got slated for it but you’re right ...probably a lovely guy is Jourdan but he certainly is never happy ....I can’t understand how as a fan you can’t be optimistic with our team especially if we add a couple of players ...because we are outplaying sides now ...

I am not a special case.

I’ll be happy when the team is winning games and moving up the table and out of harm’s way.

I’ll be happy when the key people at the club get their act together and give the team the platform it needs to progress.

Outplaying sides is lovely. If we finish 22nd in May, it will be small comfort.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Because some think (rightly or wrongly) that the improvement in performances is wildly overstated and others still don't think Rooney is the right man for the job, or should be in the job in the first place.

On the one hand you could say we're better now than we were a month or so ago. On the other hand, you could say that we are still in the relegation zone and haven't beat any of the teams around us.

On the one hand you could say we're a couple of players away from being a decent side. On the other hand...what team isn't? You have to have the funds available to make that a reality. We are currently in a transfer embargo. Again. 

I don't know if it's just the age we're living in as it stands, but there seems to be a lot less patience and consideration for people that don't agree with another's point of view on here anymore. It's just a bit tribal now. "You either agree with me or you're an idiot." This doesn't apply to everyone, obviously. But it seems worse on here now that in used to be. 

It's also worth remembering just how much only a couple of injuries & unsuitable backups can ruin the entire balance of a team.

If we sold Knight & left it too late to get a replacement (this is Derby County, after all) and then Bielik or Shinnie went down with an injury I dread to think what would happen to us.

It's all well and good pointing out that Rooney has us running harder & getting players forward more but if we lose our midfield balance that very approach would see our defence massively exposed.  Maybe Rooney would have a master plan on how to avoid that happening, but if he's taking his cues from McClaren then even if we started scoring a shed load, we'd end up so leaky at the back that our form would plummet (ala 2014/15) to an unaffordable level.

Yes I know that's a hypothetical worst case scenario, but it has to be considered a possibility.

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am not a special case.

I’ll be happy when the team is winning games and moving up the table and out of harm’s way.

I’ll be happy when the key people at the club get their act together and give the team the platform it needs to progress.

Outplaying sides is lovely. If we finish 22nd in May, it will be small comfort.

It’s an interesting opinion some have that we are outplaying sides ,,, in the main I don’t see that , I think what Rooney has done is get us outfighting and out working other sides and yes that’s a great base to build from but outplaying is a stretch , we still really really struggle to play football in the final third , we struggle for goals , the Birmingham score was a gift in the main 

36 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Even if the takeover goes through I will still be a naysayer about BZG. It seems pretty obvious that if they do complete the purchase they will be doing so with some difficulty having scraped together the cash from various parties. Does anyone think there will be abundant funds once they have taken over?

We will be moving from an owner with plenty of cash who was prepared to put his hands into his pockets for the sake of the club, to owners who can't come up with cash on time.

Nay, nay, nay, I say!

Where do you have this information from?

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

It’s an interesting opinion some have that we are outplaying sides ,,, in the main I don’t see that , I think what Rooney has done is get us outfighting and out working other sides and yes that’s a great base to build from but outplaying is a stretch , we still really really struggle to play football in the final third , we struggle for goals , the Birmingham score was a gift in the main 

I would say that we play better football than the majority of teams in our league. 

The passing from defence to midfield and within the midfield is mostly excellent. 

Where we struggle is getting good quality crossing and passing in and around the box and in getting sufficient numbers of players in the box when we do achieve good quality delivery. 

If you look at our team, you will struggle to count 50 potential goals over the season. 

We need to recruit midfield players and forwards who will provide the end product that will make us a major force for the remainder of the season. 

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

I think we have had some very good performances under Rooney. Swansea and Birmingham the two that stand out.

But like you said, in the main, we’re competing, we’re battling, we’re working hard, and the games are tight. And with that comes both risk and reward.

Some days we’ve got the rewards, beating Millwall and drawing with Brentford. But in many other cases we haven’t, dropping points versus Wycombe, Coventry, Stoke, Preston and Sheff Wed.

I just think for this confidence in Rooney and the club staying up to crystallise, we need to start landing on the right side of those fine margins.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think we have had some very good performances under Rooney. Swansea and Birmingham the two that stand out.

I honestly think the only good performances have been against Brentford and Swansea. The latter in particular. A lot of people quote Birmingham when talking about what a good job Rooney has done, but Karanka's side put in one of the most horrendous displays by any side I have seen this season. Almost as bad as us against Blackburn.

Swansea is certainly a performance for Rooney-fans to hang their hat on. That was extraordinary. And I thought the Brentford performance was very good considering how good a side they usually are against us. We did jobs on both those sides. Other than that, I don't think we have been all that different to how we were under Cocu. 

Wycombe, Coventry, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday were all performances Cocu would have gotten absolutely slaughtered for. Millwall was a somewhat torrid affair, too, and they were in almost as bad a run a form as we were. 

49 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Because some think (rightly or wrongly) that the improvement in performances is wildly overstated and others still don't think Rooney is the right man for the job, or should be in the job in the first place.

On the one hand you could say we're better now than we were a month or so ago. On the other hand, you could say that we are still in the relegation zone and haven't beat any of the teams around us.

On the one hand you could say we're a couple of players away from being a decent side. On the other hand...what team isn't? You have to have the funds available to make that a reality. We are currently in a transfer embargo. Again. 

I don't know if it's just the age we're living in as it stands, but there seems to be a lot less patience and consideration for people that don't agree with another's point of view on here anymore. It's just a bit tribal now. "You either agree with me or you're an idiot." This doesn't apply to everyone, obviously. But it seems worse on here now that in used to be. 

In all for varied opinions, but there are times where some just need to be called out for the poo they are writing.

Prime example was the weekend when a few individuals were giving our kids some very harsh, unfair and needless criticism!

That’s the line for me. I think some people just enjoy contrarianism/trolling and it turns people off, leaving less tolerance for well thought out/articulate alternative viewpoints.

9 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

In all for varied opinions, but there are times where some just need to be called out for the poo they are writing.

Prime example was the weekend when a few individuals were giving our kids some very harsh, unfair and needless criticism!

That’s the line for me. I think some people just enjoy contrarianism/trolling and it turns people off, leaving less tolerance for well thought out/articulate alternative viewpoints.

Totally agree with you on the criticism of the kids at the weekend. Can't understand that at all. It's the people that put them in that position in the first place that deserved the ire, if any. 

I still can't get my head around why that game went ahead. 

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I honestly think the only good performances have been against Brentford and Swansea. The latter in particular. A lot of people quote Birmingham when talking about what a good job Rooney has done, but Karanka's side put in one of the most horrendous displays by any side I have seen this season. Almost as bad as us against Blackburn.

Swansea is certainly a performance for Rooney-fans to hang their hat on. That was extraordinary. And I thought the Brentford performance was very good considering how good a side they usually are against us. We did jobs on both those sides. Other than that, I don't think we have been all that different to how we were under Cocu. 

Wycombe, Coventry, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday were all performances Cocu would have gotten absolutely slaughtered for. Millwall was a somewhat torrid affair, too, and they were in almost as bad a run a form as we were. 

Yes, Birmingham were poor, but for me there’s much to appreciate about a team that is ruthless enough to seize the opportunity and put away a poor side. We certainly hadn’t done it enough prior to that game.

For me, it was good in the sense that weeks prior, we’d have contrived to draw that game 1-1 much like the Forest game under Cocu, or indeed the games versus Wycombe and Coventry under Rooney. 

So it was a small sign of the team evolving. Unfortunately we couldn’t really build on it against Sheff Wed but let’s see how we fare against Rotherham and QPR.

Two wins and things may start to settle down at the club.

Hope nobody here is part of the Rams Group twitter account that has popped up to 'demand answers' on all this. It has all the hallmarks of one, possibly two, bored schoolkids trying to come across all Billy Bigballs and not quite realising how the real world turns. Oh we've been here before, more than once.

image.png.dae426fc783af6d4d6f4255b4a49ae3c.png

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

Hope nobody here is part of the Rams Group twitter account that has popped up to 'demand answers' on all this. It has all the hallmarks of one, possibly two, bored schoolkids trying to come across all Billy Bigballs and not quite realising how the real world turns. Oh we've been here before, more than once.

Saw this pop up a few times on Twitter in the last few days. Can anyone explain what it actually is?

I thought it was a supporters group at first but then saw a bunch a stuff about trying to "put pressure on the club"? 

Hopefully they'll bring out a podcast. Could do with a few more of those ? 

13 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Is that @GroupRams on Twitter?

10 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Saw this pop up a few times on Twitter in the last few days. Can anyone explain what it actually is?

I thought it was a supporters group at first but then saw a bunch a stuff about trying to "put pressure on the club"? 

Hopefully they'll bring out a podcast. Could do with a few more of those ? 

I know one of the guys that has set it up, he reached out to the Rams Trust the other day and has had no response so has set this up. 

Think you are being rather harsh @BaaLocks as he isn't any of those. Just a fan that has seen local media saying that fans should ask questions themselves, not them. Obviously this was all set in motion before the recent reports. 

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Swansea is certainly a performance for Rooney-fans to hang their hat on. That was extraordinary.

The Swansea game was a bit of an oddity.

They turned up expecting to be able to play their own game but that fell right into our hands - they couldn't get their passing game going because of Bielik & Shinnie, didn't have time to settle in defence because of CKR. They made some changes at half time but it didn't really alter their approach to the game all. Not once did they attempt to put us under any pressure aerially, try to expose Wisdom's weaknesses. It became a very easy game for us as a result.

It's one thing that gives me hope for the rest of the season - I'm expecting a few 'surprise' results of a similar nature. I think we'll continue to do better against better teams.

...that being said when we played Brentford they created & spurned a couple of easy chances by going high/long (it's still an area of weakness)  and there's no point beating the better teams, saying how well we've played (using that as a measure of how good a team we are / can be) and then dropping points against those around us.

27 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Couldn't agree more - In this super linked world we live in where everyone has access to voice their views, forums have taken on an somewhat libertarian feel where users not only demand the right to their opinion but almost that they have a right to have their opinion seen as valid. Sometimes, as you allude to, people are just flat wrong and need to be called out on that. I do struggle with those who become so entrenched in their view, they will voice ever increasing absurd opinions - They will often then make comments akin to 'agree to disagree' even with those who are trying to give balance to an argument. It's not a hardship to try and see that balance, to identify the weaknesses in one's arguments or, best of all, concede some ground to your 'opponent'. 

Worst behaviour on this thread is the taking of rumour & conjecture and conversion of that, within a few posts, to accepted fact and then weaponised in support of their message. Every day. For months.

Archived