Abu Derby County

tinman

Let’s not be like Red Dogs and predict we’re going to get our first star on the shirt. But this is positive news, it means with the right management and right signings combined with bringing through very talented youngsters we can get to where we want to be and that’s the premier league. 

However Fulham are proof rich owners don’t guarantee you success. We can’t abandon our principles of bringing through youth and buying responsibly. If we do that, there is absolutely no reason why we can’t emulate Leicester or Wolves. 

I still think Cocu is the right man though and with backing we would see very different signings to Kazim. If he Cocu didn’t need to win some matches before he definitely does now.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Josh said:

Ahh, losing at Luton your thing then?

Really? Not exactly a fair reading of what he said. 

I might as well say to you, being a plastic petrol club your thing then? Because if it is there are some you can choose from already, and they're in the Champions League! Yay, good for you, now you support a Champions League club!

Anyway, perhaps I should not be too harsh. Who knows how this is going to end up. But I hope I will still feel connected to DCFC, and like DCFCIks I might feel less connected to a petro-Sheikh's project.

12 minutes ago, Topram said:

Didn’t it happen to Villa? They were in ffp trouble then new owners came in?

No - I've actually just been reading about that. Villa escaped sanction because they claimed their losses were the result of promotion bonuses and a one off payment to the former owner. One off payments can be excluded from the FFP calculation at the discretion of the EFL. It suggests that a change of ownership doesn't actually reset FFP.

Love to be wrong about that though.

25 minutes ago, Josh said:

Ahh, losing at Luton your thing then?

As far as I'm concerned, when Man City got taken over the old Man City ceased to exit. They used to be the underdog Manchester club full of character, now all that's left is the badge. Every time they win it's meaningless. Success is relative. Getting promoted as Derby is now would be amazing but if they could win a quadruple with Oil Money and It would mean nothing. I personally like the fact that being a Derby fan is something you've obviously chosen not purely on which club is winning everything or which club has the best marketing strategy. Have you seen how lifeless the Etihad is? I couldn't stand going to the stadium and sitting next to a tourist with all there newly bought merch, pretending and mimicking what it's like to be a "real fan" like it's some theme park, and then the club telling you "they're just as much of a fan as you".  I know money has already ruined most of what football is but this would just be too much. So to answer you question, Yes, if it meant loosing at Luton but still existing as a club then I'd choose it. Rant over.

52 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

That's not true though. You can spend as much as you want if you are prepared to face the consequences. Or you can tie up the EFL in so much legal red tape that you get promoted before they can dock you points?. Money Talks, like it or not.

This. How long does it take for FFP to come into play? Not that im advocating just throwing loads of money at, buts its certainly not as simple as, we can’t spend because of FFP.

2 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

As far as I'm concerned, when Man City got taken over the old Man City ceased to exit. They used to be the underdog Manchester club full of character, now all that's left is the badge. Every time they win it's meaningless. Success is relative. Getting promoted as Derby is now would be amazing but if they could win a quadruple with Oil Money and It would mean nothing. I personally like the fact that being a Derby fan is something you've obviously chosen not purely on which club is winning everything or which club has the best marketing strategy. Have you seen how lifeless the Etihad is? I couldn't stand going to the stadium and sitting next to a tourist with all there newly bought merch, pretending and mimicking what it's like to be a "real fan" like it's some theme park, and then the club telling you "they're just as much of a fan as you".  I know money has already ruined most of what football is but this would just be too much. So to answer you question, Yes, if it meant loosing at Luton but still existing as a club then I'd choose it. Rant over.

Amen, brother.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You think the club has never spent big to win then? ?

there is "spending big to win" like when Uncle Lionel was in charge and being owned by a country with criminally bad human rights records that want to change the whole identity of the club.....

1 minute ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Do you think the money now in football is the same as it ever was? 

Is there no difference in your eyes between Lionel Pickering and Abu Dhabi?

Not really, no. The numbers have just got bigger just like they have in every other area.

Those who suggest we won’t be able to spend might have forgotten that what you are allowed to spend is relative to your income. If our income rises through brand new sponsorship deals........we were the ipro stadium recently......who’s to say we won’t sign a new shirt sponsorship deal (they’d be anti - gambling?) and/or new stadium sponsorship deal and sign a whole load of new commercial partners e.g. substitution sponsored by...?? This will allow January signings.......?

Archived