Timi Max Elsnik

Srg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2023 at 22:06, oldtimeram said:

We should have kept him.  Which idiot released him?

The decision would have been made whilst Lampard was manager. It's such a shame as I have no doubt he would have been involved in the first team under Cocu.
He played twice in the League Cup under Pearson, including coming on vs Liverpool, and once more under Rowett in the same competition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, David said:

Want to feel old? This lad is 26 in April.

Only feels like last month we were debating if he should be given a chance in the team or not.

And we all thought he should be, yet unfathomably Lampard arrived and binned him off (IIRC).

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

And we all thought he should be, yet unfathomably Lampard arrived and binned him off (IIRC).

Had a season at Swindon when Rowett was manager. Spent a bit of time out injured.
Then loaned out to Mansfield for the season when Lampard was manager. The decision was already made at that point that we didn't want him and we tried to sell him. Mansfield didn't want to pay for him (free in the summer) so we recalled him. No one was willing to buy him (due to being out of contract in 6 months) so we loaned him out to the next club who came knocking - Northampton barely played him and he left at the end of the season.

It's a shame he couldn't have stayed for an extra season, as I'm sure Cocu would have used him. Add him to the list of other academy players our decision makers judged incorrectly. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's a shame he couldn't have stayed for an extra season, as I'm sure Cocu would have used him. Add him to the list of other academy players our decision makers judged incorrectly. 

To be fair, he wasn't pulling up any trees in the lower leagues and we were a championship club. Like so many before him he was a late developer. You can't blame clubs letting young players go if they can't see them getting a place in the team in the next year or two.

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

To be fair, he wasn't pulling up any trees in the lower leagues and we were a championship club. Like so many before him he was a late developer. You can't blame clubs letting young players go if they can't see them getting a place in the team in the next year or two.

He had a respectable 5 goal contributions in 1534 league minutes at Swindon, then Phil Brown took over as manager, stopped using Elsnik, then they drifted out of thr playoffs. @angieram described him as "a class above" during that spell.

He had 6 goal contributions in 1408 mins during his half season at Mansfield too (4 in 1004 league mins).

We made the decision to release him shortly after his 20th birthday. Meanwhile, we kept less promising players like Babos and Wassall until they were 22 and 23 respectively.

He lived in Derby for a while after his release. I think I suggested to him he should ask to train at the club to stay fit, and try to impress Cocu. I've wondered if a decision was made that some young lad called Sibley was coming through who was an even better prospect as a left-sided goalscoring midfielder, and there was only a pathway to the first team for one of them? But Timi did seem our best academy player back then and it still rankles that the people who should have known didn't see it.

On 05/01/2024 at 21:01, Carl Sagan said:

He lived in Derby for a while after his release. I think I suggested to him he should ask to train at the club to stay fit, and try to impress Cocu. I've wondered if a decision was made that some young lad called Sibley was coming through who was an even better prospect as a left-sided goalscoring midfielder, and there was only a pathway to the first team for one of them? But Timi did seem our best academy player back then and it still rankles that the people who should have known didn't see it.

Perhaps the same decision makers that were about to release Cashin before other events took over?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...