Timi Max Elsnik

Srg

40 minutes ago, BatRam said:

Would you have him back if we could? Id certainly have him back. i liked him when he was here and couldnt understand why we got rid

Yes. That's easy to say with hindsight though. It's also a very different proposition trying to break into a Championship playoff team with Mount/Huddlestone/Bryson in front of you in the pecking order than breaking into a league one team. It seemed an odd time to release him though. 2019 was the summer that Mel realised he was in trouble with the finances and Cocu was encouraged to use talents produced from our academy. Surely Elsnik could've competed for game time with Bird/Sibley/Knight.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Yes. That's easy to say with hindsight though. It's also a very different proposition trying to break into a Championship playoff team with Mount/Huddlestone/Bryson in front of you in the pecking order than breaking into a league one team. It seemed an odd time to release him though. 2019 was the summer that Mel realised he was in trouble with the finances and Cocu was encouraged to use talents produced from our academy. Surely Elsnik could've competed for game time with Bird/Sibley/Knight.

We decided we would get rid early in the 18/19 season. We even tried to sell him in the January to Mansfield (where he was supposed to stay the full season on loan and would be free in the summer). We then recalled him before realising no one would pay a fee for someone who would be free a few months later, then panic loaned him out to the first taker.

It's been said a few times, but whoever was making the final decision on our youngsters players was doing a bad job of it. We got lucky with Cashin and to some degree Ebosele, but missed out big time on Whittaker, Archie Brown, Jacobsen, and Elsnik.

Tbf, at the time Elsnik had been going through a bad run of injuries, which I think contributed.

These have settled down and he's been able to build strength and form since then.

I've always been a fan and still follow his career. Would he even want to come back to us now? Probably not.

When you look at some of the young players who have slipped through our fingers, by fair means or foul, it's quite depressing. As I recall, Timi had a couple of chances at senior level and took to it like a duck to water and for  me, this was bad one as it was our call, not the lure of the top 6. I'm not at all surprised that he's carving out a decent career for himself.