Timi Max Elsnik

Srg

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Swindon fans raved about him when he was on loan there in League 1 a few years ago

Saw him down there a few times. I was always impressed and thought he had a good career ahead of him at Derby.

Captain of his club, a full international and playing in the UCL again next season. Maybe he's better off where he is! 

41 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Bit annoying how you could compose almost half a starting XI of players who used to play for us who are playing at a level above where we are as a club right now.

Not sure Elsnik entirely fits the bill, but he must be close.

I would suggest that we have now sunk to his level. Almost. Is he better than Sibley, Bird and Knight? How many caps would they have for Slovenia if born in Bled or Maribor?

Edited by sage

• 2 months later...

Didn't see too much of him but he looked a prospect. Surprised we let him move on. I think its fair to assume he has reached championship standard and could have made an impact here.

At 25 you'd think he was pretty much fully developed now, and its not been a bad trajectory for him since leaving, captaining the champions of his country, international caps.

If he's happy with that then great, but a lot of players would be looking to take the next step at that age, a bigger european league, challenging and bettering themselves. Be interesting to see his next move.

I think I saw him in one youth game and one cup game. Looked fluid, energetic and with that rare thing - a first good touch. A real prospect. I was sad to see him go.  I suppose time and what is around you is everything. Good luck to him. 

That said, and I am not being daft. Thommo looks as good. The long headed version of me hopes we don’t get too many senior midfield reinforcements because I want Thommo to be given a decent shout at claiming a spot. 

On 27/07/2023 at 10:12, Jubbs said:

Scored in the Champions League last night.

No surprise at all. Always looked like our future Matt le Tissier, able to score from anywhere in the opponent's half (and maybe from just inside ours). Very odd at the time to release him. Great to see the lad through to the third qualifying round. This is a brutal competition for the smaller clubs/nations to try to make the group stages.

Not the willowy young lad we sent off to Swindon anymore, is he? 👀

Fair play to the lad, it was definitely one of the weirder calls we've made on youth players. It was clear he was talented right from the off and yet the moment he started to prove it, we shipped him out.

Doubtless there's more to it than we know, but it's still one that bemuses me to this very day.