Nottingham Forest v Derby County Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

3 hours ago, Norwichram2 said:

Am I missing something? I thought Sibley iis back in training and potentially available for Florist game? If so pair him with Knight with Shinnie as holding mid. We do want to win.... 

Cocu wouldn't have the balls to do that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Dunno. Jim Smith used this system and produced some great games.

Right now we’ve gone from conceding 8 in 3 games to 2 in 3 games so it seems to have worked.

Please tell me you're not measuring success by trying to stop the opposition scoring?

I think the key to unlock the forest game will be spell and skill but I would be tempted to play waghorn and Lawrence up front together or Richard's with eathier of those two and then offering as number 10 would be eathier selby or knight driving forward linking up the attack.

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think the key to unlock the forest game will be speed and skill but I would be tempted to play waghorn and Lawrence up front together or Richard's with eathier of those two and then offering as number 10 would be eathier selby or knight driving forward linking up the attack.

Marshall

Byrne         Davies      Clarke     Buchanan

Shinnie

Holmes              Knight

Jozwiak            Waghorn           Lawrence

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Forsyth

Knight Shinnie

Waghorn Lawrence Jozwiak

Kazim-Richards

Subs: Bird, Holmes, Davies, Buchanan, Roos, Ibe, Whittaker

Harsh on Davies, but we have to go back to a back 4 and get another attacker on the pitch. Davies will get exposed in a back 4 for me and Wisdom & Clarke formed a great partnership last season before the attack on Wisdom. I know people will say Waghorn & Kazim-Richards might not be 100% ready to start, but we simply have no choice. This game is make or break for Cocu and these guys have to play. Likewise with Ibe...time to get him involved off the bench. He has been training 3/4 weeks now, he has to be ready. Bielik is the only one I wouldn't risk yet, due to the severity of the injury he is coming off.

If Sibley is fit.....

08BABD70-9FA2-4097-A54F-C9AF9193ED2A.thumb.jpeg.40e35607ef9e5bad241ad514f2f911a1.jpeg

Shinnie ahead of Bird, to look after Freeman

lawrence, jozwiak and Waghorn to switch.

Evans ahead of wisdom - just. Wisdom played well v Huddersfield but maybe kept pushing up a bit to much, leaving space behind? Caught out for a goal and a minute before when Davies had to cover. 

we have to find a way to get Sibley and knight playing together.

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Dunno. Jim Smith used this system and produced some great games.

Right now we’ve gone from conceding 8 in 3 games to 2 in 3 games so it seems to have worked.

I agree the new formation and system seem to work with regards to our defensive performances. Keeping teams at bay, especially Norwich and Watford. 

The issue is how we are playing. We are too cautious. The whole point of having 3 CB’s is so your attacking players can have slightly more freedom. We look scared of pushing too many forward. Mental side of the game so important!

6 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I agree the new formation and system seem to work with regards to our defensive performances. Keeping teams at bay, especially Norwich and Watford. 

The issue is how we are playing. We are too cautious. The whole point of having 3 CB’s is so your attacking players can have slightly more freedom. We look scared of pushing too many forward. Mental side of the game so important!

I didn't think that was the case on Tuesday, Wisdom regularly got forward, Clarke got forward as well. 3 of our best 4 chances from open play fell to Wisdom, Byrne and Clarke. 

Perhaps a left field thought here but why not give Duncan a try up front. For me he certainly has the attitude Im looking for, seems up for it. Om hes young, but so was Rooney when he debuted, and look where that went. Duncan seems keen, give him a go, cant do any worse.

1 minute ago, r4derby said:

It’s tough because heads go down if we concede, so overloading the defence has at least kept us in the game. 

however....3 central defenders v 1 striker? 
the upside is the ability of the wing backs to push up, but neither delivers a great final ball, so what’s the point?
It made sense when he had no forwards, but we do have now. So let’s get them on the pitch. 

the tipping point for me is I want to see Sibley and knight in the same 11. 
Knight can always drop deeper if we need to defend.  

9 minutes ago, spireramsfan said:

Perhaps a left field thought here but why not give Duncan a try up front. For me he certainly has the attitude Im looking for, seems up for it. Om hes young, but so was Rooney when he debuted, and look where that went. Duncan seems keen, give him a go, cant do any worse.

I like his attitude too. in the videos he looks hungry to score. 
I’d like to see him on the bench. I don’t quite get the idea that these young players are so totally out of condition that they can’t feature at all. They’ll get pissed off if they’re not involved. 

Lawrence, Waghorn And jozwiak for 70 minutes, then Whittaker, Duncan and Ibe.

have faith in these young players. I can’t see any point in playing the 34-35 year olds ahead of them. 

31 minutes ago, spireramsfan said:

Needs time to build up his match fitness

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

If Sibley is fit.....

08BABD70-9FA2-4097-A54F-C9AF9193ED2A.thumb.jpeg.40e35607ef9e5bad241ad514f2f911a1.jpeg

Shinnie ahead of Bird, to look after Freeman

lawrence, jozwiak and Waghorn to switch.

Evans ahead of wisdom - just. Wisdom played well v Huddersfield but maybe kept pushing up a bit to much, leaving space behind? Caught out for a goal and a minute before when Davies had to cover. 

we have to find a way to get Sibley and knight playing together.

Sibley is out until at least November.

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I like his attitude too. in the videos he looks hungry to score. 
I’d like to see him on the bench. I don’t quite get the idea that these young players are so totally out of condition that they can’t feature at all. They’ll get pissed off if they’re not involved. 

Lawrence, Waghorn And jozwiak for 70 minutes, then Whittaker, Duncan and Ibe.

have faith in these young players. I can’t see any point in playing the 34-35 year olds ahead of them. 

I am more surprised we aren't taking that chance on Jahmal Hector-Ingram,  who is match fit. He looked dangerous in the only significant sub's appearance he has made. 

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

I am more surprised we aren't taking that chance on Jahmal Hector-Ingram,  who is match fit. He looked dangerous in the only significant sub's appearance he has made. 

If I was him I'd be asking to leave. We've been desperate for a striker now for what seems like a year at this point, and even when there is literally nobody else, Cocu played 2 wingers up front.

51 minutes ago, Srg said:

If I was him I'd be asking to leave. We've been desperate for a striker now for what seems like a year at this point, and even when there is literally nobody else, Cocu played 2 wingers up front.

Just my opinion so don't shoot me down............I don't think JHL is the answer. I watched him in most of his U23 games. Yes he scored a few including a lot of soft penalties in a very good U23 side but generally he contributed very little. I don't think he is robust enough mentally for a higher level of football from what I observed. To me he desperately needs a loan in league 2 to see if he can cope at that level. If I was manager in PC place I wouldn't play him currently either.

I don’t think they’ve let anyone down

Knight is 100% risk free. 
sibley got played too high up the pitch.  
We are not exactly overly blessed with central midfielders. Who is better than the angry Will Hughes? I can’t think of anyone.

bird or shinnie - very different types of players. Depends on whether we need a monkey wrench or a screwdriver. 
I advocate building the team around bird, sibley and knight, but sometimes we need shinnies industry,

whittaker has had recognition for his brief contribution. Could yet score a spectacular goal before too long. 

JHI has only had 36 minutes. Suffers because Rooney plays the same position.

Buchanan - has done well. Preferred to Fozzy.

duncan - good enough to play 23 minutes for England, so why not for us?

Archived