Nottingham Forest v Derby County Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just my opinion so don't shoot me down............I don't think JHL is the answer. I watched him in most of his U23 games. Yes he scored a few including a lot of soft penalties in a very good U23 side but generally he contributed very little. I don't think he is robust enough mentally for a higher level of football from what I observed. To me he desperately needs a loan in league 2 to see if he can cope at that level. If I was manager in PC place I wouldn't play him currently either.

Which is fine if that's the case, but what we bothering with him on the bench for then? On Tuesday he was practically pointless with both Waghorn and CKR on the bench too. If he's no good, don't bother, but I don't know how we can learn anything about him like this. He'll be 22 next month, so he either needs to play or we need to move on.

Just now, DC-1975 said:

How will you judge desire and hunger?

It won't be just me doing the judging for the avoidance of doubt. But the effort they put in on the pitch, their demonstrated desire to battle for every ball to compete for every tackle yada yada. 

If they can't or won't even do that then am afraid it's curtains. 

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Irrelevant of the players Cocu has at his disposal if he can't get them motivated enough to show desire and hunger to turn over their local rivals in a Derby game then that will speak volumes for me. 

Does knight not look motivated?

To be honest if we start with a front 3 of Lawrence Jozwiak & Waghorn  I don’t think we can use the injuries as a reason to have a not lose mentality rather than let’s win. Arguably we are missing 3 players from our best 11. Rooney - how much stronger/weaker does he make the team? Debatable that it makes a huge difference in him not playing to the overall performance of the team. 
Ibe - Yet to play. You could argue that the return of Lawrence and Waghorn are more important at this time as they have a recent track record at a goals return for the club.

Bielik - Been our for nearly a year or so. Clearly would add to what we have in midfield but his pre injury performances seem to have definitely improved in the minds of a number of fans. That said I do think he can add more powerful dynamic to our midfield. 

Going through a potential team that’s been muted, these are the  levels of confidence we should have in each player based on experience and what they can bring to the team.

Marshall - First Choice, experienced Champ goalie. Confidence Level High

Byrne - First Choice RB, experienced champ player. Confidence level high. 

Wisdom - Rotated CB, experienced and a fair few good performances in last 6 months. Confidence level High

Clarke - First Choice CB. Player of the year, one of our best players. Confidence level high.

Buchanan - Just established as first choice LB. Promising performances with a few lapses in concentration. Still learning his trade. Confidence medium.

Shinnie - rotated  experienced CM. Gives real bite and energy. Whilst the midfield has a soft underbelly without him he offers virtually nothing in a creative way. Confidence medium. 

Bird - First Choice CM. Young but with a decent amount of games now. Hasn’t played consistently to his levels of last season. At Huddersfield we saw the good, bad and the ugly IMO. Some exquisite balls between the lines, got over ran and looked a bit soft (especially when Shinnie went off) at times, set pieces (we will leave it at that). Confidence Medium 

Knight - CM first choice. Best player of the season. Pressing, tackling, good decision making, wins important free kicks (not just Norwich). First name on the team sheet. Confidence level high. 

Jozwiak- First Choice RW. Looks like he has ability to change games. Early days though. Confidence level high

Lawerence - First Choice LW. Experienced Chanp attacker. He’s a bit marmite is tommy but offensively he does get you up the pitch which helps the mids and defs and he scores. Confidence level high 

Waghorn - Probably first choice Striker. Experienced  champ attacker. Can play as CF. Missed chances bit scores goals. Returning to fitness. 
Confidence Medium to High.

The midfield is actually the biggest worry for me as it does lack creativity. We’ve got enough experience in defence and attack to have a go in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Irrelevant of the players Cocu has at his disposal if he can't get them motivated enough to show desire and hunger to turn over their local rivals in a Derby game then that will speak volumes for me. 

An alternative viewpoint might be that if players can’t get themselves motivated for it they are in the wrong profession?

Just playing devils advocate really but to blame a manager for players playing without effort seems to be generous beyond belief to said players.

Should also be said I don’t think there has been any issue with motivation or effort so far this season - Blackburn might be the only game you could argue it but I think that was a confused performance all round.

I want to see us go at them. If we sit passive through this match like every other match this season I'll be furious. I want Cocu to demonstrate that he can get a team up for a match like this. If you can't motivate the players for their clubs Derby you've no hope. 

Friday will be a severe test of my remaining patience with Cocu. 

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I want to see us go at them. If we sit passive through this match like every other match this season I'll be furious. I want Cocu to demonstrate that he can get a team up for a match like this. If you can't motivate the players for their clubs Derby you've no hope. 

Friday will be a severe test of my remaining patience with Cocu. 

And that doesn't mean flying around the pitch with no shape. It means playing with a level of intensity we are yet to see this season. It means playing with positive intent. 

Just now, nottingram said:

An alternative viewpoint might be that if players can’t get themselves motivated for it they are in the wrong profession?

Just playing devils advocate really but to blame a manager for players playing without effort seems to be generous beyond belief to said players.

Should also be said I don’t think there has been any issue with motivation or effort so far this season - Blackburn might be the only game you could argue it but I think that was a confused performance all round.

I agree but realistically though as you well understand owners of football clubs don't bullet players it's the manager who ultimately holds the accountability for his players performances.

My point was that if Cocu can't get his team up for a local Derby and this is envisaged tomorrow night then think this will be catastrophic and ultimately terminal. 

But let's see what transpires tomorrow we may have the beating of them yet, it's hardly like they're in a rich vein of form either.

2 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

I’m not sure I’ve seen a lack of effort in any game. Not understanding the tactics or not believing in the tactics maybe?

I’d rather see a good team performance, than 11 individuals running around flying into tackles and moving out of position to prove their hunger for a battle 

Again to clarify this needs to be seen in spades tomorrow night given the significance of the game. Wasn't particularly alluding to a lack of effort in previous games. But if this doesn't show through tomorrow then like I said it will be heavily commented on.  

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Does knight not look motivated?

He's always been fully motivated when playing in a Derby shirt. However, I was quite critical of Knight last season, in that he struggled to get himself involved in games often enough. There were numerous occasions where he'd play close to the full 90 but only have 20 touches of the ball (normally when played on the wing).

For comparison, in his 6 league games this season, he's had 51, 44, 62, 58, 51 and 55 touches. He's now touching every blade of grass every game, attempting to take his man on more often and winning more freekicks high up the pitch as a result, but also losing the ball less. His passing has improved as well, in terms of accuracy and range.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's always been fully motivated when playing in a Derby shirt. However, I was quite critical of Knight last season, in that he struggled to get himself involved in games often enough. There were numerous occasions where he'd play close to the full 90 but only have 20 touches of the ball (normally when played on the wing).

For comparison, in his 6 league games this season, he's had 51, 44, 62, 58, 51 and 55 touches. He's now touching every blade of grass every game, attempting to take his man on more often and winning more freekicks high up the pitch as a result, but also losing the ball less. His passing has improved as well, in terms of accuracy and range.

Fair enough.

He impressed me from the moment I first saw him - burton albion pre-season away. But if his stats are showing that, then it just goes to prove how good he is. 

image.thumb.png.deac27bfe00ce0ca0207c6001fe4059b.png

Not sure which one I want. If it's 4-3-3 at least they'd be having a go, but there's a chance it could end in an embarrassing 5-0 loss.

If it's 5-2-3 / 3-4-3 It'll be another boring game but could fluke a disgusting 1-0 win, but will probably lose 1-0 with 0 shots on target.

I think It'll be 5 at the back again though, the Blackburn defeat looked like it completely shocked and petrified the coaching staff. Phil will be too scared to set up the team in any sort of attacking way after that.

10 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

image.thumb.png.deac27bfe00ce0ca0207c6001fe4059b.png

Not sure which one I want. If it's 4-3-3 at least they'd be having a go, but there's a chance it could end in an embarrassing 5-0 loss.

If it's 5-2-3 / 3-4-3 It'll be another boring game but could fluke a disgusting 1-0 win, but will probably lose 1-0 with 0 shots on target.

I think It'll be 5 at the back again though, the Blackburn defeat looked like it completely shocked and petrified the coaching staff. Phil will be too scared to set up the team in any sort of attacking way after that.

Whatever the formation, just please i hope he stops setting up the team to nullify the opponents and just go for it. You cant win without scoring!

6 hours ago, rynny said:

I didn't think that was the case on Tuesday, Wisdom regularly got forward, Clarke got forward as well. 3 of our best 4 chances from open play fell to Wisdom, Byrne and Clarke. 

Yeah, but then do you want Wisdom or Clarke having the chance in front of goal? My point is that having 3 CB’s should allow our attacking players to get on the ball and create. Sheff Utd have buccaneering CB’s but they are just as likely to pop up on the wing. Their aim is to cause confusion and problems for the other team so the midfielders can create. Our problem is that our CB’s push up and there’s no movement and no options.

But we look nervous, confidence is low and as a result we’re not creating many chances. If you’re not clinical, you won’t score. We either need to become more clinical or create more chances. 

I’m not sure if it’s the players or Cocu’s system. 

Archived