Huddersfield v Derby County Tuesday 20th October

sage

Just now, Srg said:

We get Rooney as manager I think I’m going to give Derby County a break until we start taking ourselves seriously again. 

It's inevitable IMO. 

Rooney would almost certainly take a significant wage cut for a chance at the top job. When we pay off Cocu and co, money will be extremely tight so that decision makes commercial sense. It's certainly not what I would do, but financially it's the most viable option for the club. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

I don't want to worry anyone but at the same stage as THAT season we had more points and more goals.And that was in the Premier League.We couldn't break our own record could we!

Half our final point total in the first 8 games . Even at that miserable rate we'd have averaged about 23 - 24 points. Deary me☹️

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

It's inevitable IMO. 

Rooney would almost certainly take a significant wage cut for a chance at the top job. When we pay off Cocu and co, money will be extremely tight so that decision makes commercial sense. It's certainly not what I would do, but financially it's the most viable option for the club. 

I fancy he'll be a coach at Everton or United within the month.  

7 hours ago, Srg said:

If we get Rooney as manager I think I’m going to give Derby County a break until we start taking ourselves seriously again. 

I can imagine Coleen ordering Wayne to pick players based on if they look like a famous actor, musician or reality tv person.

8 hours ago, Srg said:

If we get Rooney as manager I think I’m going to give Derby County a break until we start taking ourselves seriously again. 

Thing is, we don't learn. 

As soon as there is a vacancy at Old Trafford higher than tea boy, he'll be off like Frank. 

Where's the long term plan? 

We are in transition. We're waiting for promising young players to get better, we are waiting for new and injured players to get fit and we are waiting for the next transfer window to get a striker. 

So, no matter who is in charge it ain't going to be easy. 

For me we just don’t look like scoring. We aren’t creating that much and coupled with the fact that we don’t have a clinical finisher we will struggle. Waghorn is ok but needs 3-4 chances to score. We just aren’t creating enough. I’d like to think that would change with players returning to full fitness but that might be too late, certainly for Cocu. The recruitment of a striker is laughable. 

9 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

If you don’t think these have been awful then I despair of your standard. 

I agree with G Star, in the first half it was better football than we played at anytime last season, the move to put Lawrence and Jozwiek up front was inspired. Over all we were the better team and I love the Shinnie and Knight dynamic in midfield (knight is playing out of his skin at the moment), the way we closed them down was excellent and they (Huddersfield) needed half time to regroup and change their strategy and shape to combat us. 

we need to shoot more, get our injured back and fully fit and keep our confidence, it was noticeable that performance dropped off once they had scored. I am still very positive about the future and about what Cocu is building, there are enough signs to show that we are getting better  

10 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

If it’s your opinion that it’s the former, then who can you say after tonight is taking any initiative to force themselves onto the team sheet?

Well, Knight did against Norwich. So why play him somewhere else in the next games? Whittaker? Davies has too. Etc. Are the players being played to their best effect? That is down to the manager.

9 hours ago, Srg said:

Why would Rooney - who it is acknowledged has a great football brain - be any worse than Cocu?! We saw the effect he had when he arrived. But in the end Rooney on the pitch can only follow the manager’s instructions. So I don’t think if Cocu was replaced it would be Rooney but if it where he’s got great pedigree!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why would Rooney - who it is acknowledged has a great football brain - be any worse than Cocu?! We saw the effect he had when he arrived. But in the end Rooney on the pitch can only follow the manager’s instructions. So I don’t think if Cocu was replaced it would be Rooney but if it where he’s got great pedigree!

He hasn’t even got his qualifications hence Gregory link 

It would be a gamble. 

Stick with Cocu 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There is a massive difference between having an instinctive football brain on the pitch having the intelligence to coach and manage a football team. 

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

There is a massive difference between having an instinctive football brain on the pitch having the intelligence to coach and manage a football team. 

There’s plenty of managers out there with neither! Did say I didn’t think Rooney would be offered our job but that I didn’t see why he wouldn’t do a good job.

11 hours ago, Coconut said:

Agree with all of that, sensible post, keeping a level head. 

I do find it amusing the number of people who were willing to stick with him before the match, and probably were quite hopeful at half time, maybe even reasonably pleased with the performance (read the thread!)... 45 minutes later the tipping point has been reached and now they've absolutely had enough.

I think it’s a recognition that these results just can’t go on, regardless of the green shoots of players coming back, the academy talent which is genuinely as good as i can remember in my 30 years supporting the club. For that reason I think many people turned last night.

Personally the fair thing to do would be to give Cocu more time with his players and squad fit. But the more he loses games the more leeway he loses. If we lose the next 3 we are W1 and L7! How many teams come back from a start like that? I was thinking minimum he needed to win 3 games from this block of 7. We’ve lost the first 2 which means we need to win 3 of the next 5.

I really hope he gets a result on Friday night and get a couple of results next week as long term I still think he could take us where we want to go. And also, if as many are saying Eddie Howe is waiting for a premier league job, there isn’t many out there who would be a good fit for what we need.

Archived