Huddersfield v Derby County Tuesday 20th October

sage

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think it’s a recognition that these results just can’t go on, regardless of the green shoots of players coming back, the academy talent which is genuinely as good as i can remember in my 30 years supporting the club. For that reason I think many people turned last night.

Personally the fair thing to do would be to give Cocu more time with his players and squad fit. But the more he loses games the more leeway he loses. If we lose the next 3 we are W1 and L7! How many teams come back from a start like that? I was thinking minimum he needed to win 3 games from this block of 7. We’ve lost the first 2 which means we need to win 3 of the next 5.

I really hope he gets a result on Friday night and get a couple of results next week as long term I still think he could take us where we want to go. And also, if as many are saying Eddie Howe is waiting for a premier league job, there isn’t many out there who would be a good fit for what we need.

Eddie Howe left Bournemouth because of their relegation, so I'd imagine the last thing he would want to do is join another Championship club with less quality and no parachute payments - not to mention inevitably a smaller wage than he was already earning (could've been earning). 

I honestly don't see how Rooney doesn't get it. The comments from Jozwiak when he was on international duty about Rooney being influential and everyone listening to him almost makes it a given in my mind. The best we can hope for is that this assistant (the one who is required for the badges) is able to support him a lot. When we hired Jewell, it was well documented that we offered Paul Ince the job with Roy Hodgson as his assistant. Imagine how odd that would've looked now! 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Eddie Howe left Bournemouth because of their relegation, so I'd imagine the last thing he would want to do is join another Championship club with less quality and no parachute payments - not to mention inevitably a smaller wage than he was already earning (could've been earning). 

I honestly don't see how Rooney doesn't get it. The comments from Jozwiak when he was on international duty about Rooney being influential and everyone listening to him almost makes it a given in my mind. The best we can hope for is that this assistant (the one who is required for the badges) is able to support him a lot. When we hired Jewell, it was well documented that we offered Paul Ince the job with Roy Hodgson as his assistant. Imagine how odd that would've looked now! 

Personally I think Rooney hasn’t hung up his boots yet so needs to focus on that. He has  9-10 months coaching experience and doesn’t have his badges. His appointment would have Woodgate written all over it, I think it could be a disaster. 

If we are to go down that route, I would give it Rosenior over Rooney

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well, Knight did against Norwich. So why play him somewhere else in the next games? Whittaker? Davies has too. Etc. Are the players being played to their best effect? That is down to the manager.

Well I agree with you on Knight to be honest, I’d rather have him in their at the minute than Bird who has been very ineffective and too formulaic in his play. A big part of the issue to me, aside the obvious striker situation is that we don’t have a balanced midfield who are busy enough to cover the ground needed.

Id like to see more of Whittaker but at the same time I presume they don’t want to put too much pressure on him at the minute.

Davies yes but I’m not sure whether he’s in a position to influence those further up the pitch

In my opinion a lot of players are being played in a position where they are effective, as I tried (after a few drinks admittingly) last night to point out, how many are taking responsibility and how many are shirking it. We have players who make the right noises, will apologise on social media or in interviews but sometimes it’s about showing that you want to win on the pitch and not enough are showing the basic principle that’s needed right now.

Yes it’s Cocu who has to take the brunt of that at the end of the day but I see a lot of players right now who feel very comfortable at Derby County who aren’t showing enough pride on the pitch to get themselves out of the position they are in. You take instructions from the coaches and the manager, but as a footballer you need to take the initiative and react better in real time to what’s happening in the game.

12 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

What worries me most about cocus sides 

mans tbh it doesn’t matter who he’s got leading the line 

We don’t get bodied into the box, how many times do we actually get more than 2-3 bodies in there prior to the stage of the game where were chasing it Cos were losing 

that’s what I find my biggest frustration, u don’t get bodies int the box u don’t score goals end of story it’s a simple fundamental that has been absent from day one 

What worried me was our new corner routine which consists solely of lots of players surrounding the keeper. 

Even if by some miracle the ball got there, if the keeper didn't get it, he'd get a foul. 

The only time someone stood at the far post, Clarke won a header back across goal. In the first half, Byrne briefly stood there, then retreated at the last minute and the ball dropped exactly where he'd been standing. 

If this new move is a plan, we should abandon it.

We need one player by the keeper and everyone else running in late from different angles to build momentum for the jump. 

You can't win a header against a defender from a standing start. 

That's pretty basic stuff and if we can't offer a threat from set pieces we are massively reducing our chances of winning. 

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Personally I think Rooney hasn’t hung up his boots yet so needs to focus on that. He has  9-10 months coaching experience and doesn’t have his badges. His appointment would have Woodgate written all over it, I think it could be a disaster. 

If we are to go down that route, I would give it Rosenior over Rooney

I've said I really don't want it to be Rooney because of the media frenzy and his lack of coaching. But then, I can just see it inevitably happening.

How many great players have turned out to be rubbish managers? Plenty.

I'd rather Wassall with Rooney as assistant but if it is Rooney, who is going to hold his hand? I'd hope someone towards the grand old end (experience, knows they are past their zenith but can pass on wisdom) rather than highly ambitious talented young coach.

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Yes it’s Cocu who has to take the brunt of that at the end of the day but I see a lot of players right now who feel very comfortable at Derby County who aren’t showing enough pride on the pitch to get themselves out of the position they are in. You take instructions from the coaches and the manager, but as a footballer you need to take the initiative and react better in real time to what’s happening in the game.

Chicken and egg really. Whichever one is first it’s not working. Can Cocu turn things around ie win a few games, maybe. Will that lead to a better long term success for Derby, I don’t think so. I think he’s the wrong manager for us. Who takes the blame is secondary for me anyway.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

He hasn’t even got his qualifications hence Gregory link 

It would be a gamble. 

Stick with Cocu 

I agree @Curtainswe need continuity , we need a consistent playing style with a settled team, which Cocu is trying to do. We are in this mess because of the amount of managers and playing styles we have had over the last 10 years.  If we continue to change managers (I know Lampard and Rowett left) we will always have players that don't fit a style and need to be moved on and gaps in our team.

Let Cocu do his job, we are so close to have a really good team

The first 45 was the best football we've seen in a long time. When players key to making that work tired (such as Lawrence), the performance levels dropped and so too did the confidence. The players coming on weren't fit enough either which didn't help. When everyone is fully we should be able to improve on that, and maintain the high performance level from that first 45 for longer periods.

The players look fitter since Shinner officially joined to coaching setup, but there's still a considerable way to go. Knight's the one player who looks to be at the right level. Even in the 90th minute he was closing down the RB who was forced to go back to the keeper, only to be closing down the LB a couple of seconds later. Remarkable energy levels!

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The first 45 was the best football we've seen in a long time. When players key to making that work tired (such as Lawrence), the performance levels dropped and so too did the confidence. The players coming on weren't fit enough either which didn't help. When everyone is fully we should be able to improve on that, and maintain the high performance level from that first 45 for longer periods.

The players look fitter since Shinner officially joined to coaching setup, but there's still a considerable way to go. Knight's the one player who looks to be at the right level. Even in the 90th minute he was closing down the RB who was forced to go back to the keeper, only to be closing down the LB a couple of seconds later. Remarkable energy levels!

Cheers @Ghost of Clough for a while I thought I must have watched a different game. 

We had some very good opportunities last night, Byrne, Jozwiak, Wisdom, Knight's one on one wrongly called offside, Clarke, Holmes. 

The most disappointing thing last night was the set pieces but it wasn't always the delivery, the players needed someone on the back stick, and it very rarely happened. 

17 minutes ago, rynny said:

We had some very good opportunities last night, Byrne, Jozwiak, Wisdom, Knight's one on one wrongly called offside, Clarke, Holmes. 

The most disappointing thing last night was the set pieces but it wasn't always the delivery, the players needed someone on the back stick, and it very rarely happened. 

True.

when Curtis Davies was going on about not creating enough chances I was thinking “well why don’t you go and stick your big head on the end of a corner”. 

30 minutes ago, rynny said:

If a ball lands within ten yards of the goal from a corner without being intercepted by a defender or an attacker it’s definitely not the delivery that’s the problem and I counted at least twice that Lawrence put one of those in! 

Whether that’s the way coaches have set up set pieces or whether it’s poor runs being made I guess depends on the feelings toward the coaching staff.

Archived