Harry Wilson - gone to Cardiff on a season long loan

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, inter politics said:

'Multi-million loan fee...'

Nothing wrong with that.

A £2m loan fee is not a lot different (financially speaking) to a £10m signing on a 5 year contract.

Obviously we don't have the player at the end of year 1, but equally we have no ongoing liability at the end of year 1 either... there's many a player we've signed over recent years that we'd rather have taken on a 1 year loan!

In Harry's case we know what we're getting so (say) a £2m loan fee + a £10m option to purchase would be preferable.

51 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

I must be clueless too because as much as Harry Wilson was a great success here I cant see this one happening as (a) Unless he's improved his physique since he left us he's too easy to knock off the ball (b) I dont see him on the wing as we now have 'proper wingers' in Jozwiak & Ibe (c) the No 10 role we're well stocked with other players like Lawrence, Marriott, Sibley, Whittaker, Waghorn, JHI etc with Duncan & Jack Stretton waiting in the wings....just saying.....

So you wouldn’t rather have Wilson in the starting 11 over Lawrence Marriott Whittaker JHI Duncan and Stretton. Yes they are all talents but come on. Wilson any day. Even the likes of Sibley and and Waggy can be anonymous. And Wilson goals and creativity ? but ye you wouldn’t want him because he gets “knocked off the ball” ?. He’s too quick and tricky to get knocked off the ball. It would certainly strike me with fear if he was starting for another championship club against us that’s for sure. Just saying 

3 minutes ago, Rample said:

Loan fee for him and Zohore will be high.

Clubs seem to expect any loan to cover a years value of a permanent deal.

I say take them both with an obligation to buy if we go up, using the loan fee as a partial down payment.

Peanuts compared what we get from Sibley ?

If we land Wilson and/or Zohore I can see a few players being shipped out to reduce numbers/ease wages - Marriott for one, maybe Lawrence, Waghorn, Wisdom, anybody on a few quid who is expendable - plenty of clubs to scramble for them on subsidised loans.

If we are talking a multi-million pound loan for Wilson is that fee or fee plus wages?

21 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

So you wouldn’t rather have Wilson in the starting 11 over Lawrence Marriott Whittaker JHI Duncan and Stretton. Yes they are all talents but come on. Wilson any day. Even the likes of Sibley and and Waggy can be anonymous. And Wilson goals and creativity ? but ye you wouldn’t want him because he gets “knocked off the ball” ?. He’s too quick and tricky to get knocked off the ball. It would certainly strike me with fear if he was starting for another championship club against us that’s for sure. Just saying 

Can you provide some examples of when he was a really tricky winger in open play? I honestly can't remember him every being this player, he was at his most effective (and lethal) in games like Swansea (H) where they gave him the space to drift into the centre and let a shot off. What I can't recall is him often straight up beating a man, tricky dribbling or many of the traits associated with top quality wingers; as I posted before, the Brentford breakaway fro his first goal is the only example of this I can remember

9 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Can you provide some examples of when he was a really tricky winger in open play? I honestly can't remember him every being this player, he was at his most effective (and lethal) in games like Swansea (H) where they gave him the space to drift into the centre and let a shot off. What I can't recall is him often straight up beating a man, tricky dribbling or many of the traits associated with top quality wingers; as I posted before, the Brentford breakaway fro his first goal is the only example of this I can remember

He ran past and between players and onto quick passes from Mount et al.

41 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Nothing wrong with that.

A £2m loan fee is not a lot different (financially speaking) to a £10m signing on a 5 year contract.

Obviously we don't have the player at the end of year 1, but equally we have no ongoing liability at the end of year 1 either... there's many a player we've signed over recent years that we'd rather have taken on a 1 year loan!

In Harry's case we know what we're getting so (say) a £2m loan fee + a £10m option to purchase would be preferable.

it is, with a loan you do not own a players contract and are developing  someone else's talent, with the other you own the contract and could sell him for more or at least get a return

13 minutes ago, Rampage said:

He ran past and between players and onto quick passes from Mount et al.

I'm going to need more specificity than that, I meant specific examples so I can see it ? I just can't remember him being the type of player to dribble past players, if anything I remember in the new year of that season finding him quite frustrating because I didn't think he was offering enough outside of dead ball situations. 

The Brentford example shows he can do it, I think if he signs for us, I'd perhaps like to see it more regularly is all

17 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

it is, with a loan you do not own a players contract and are developing  someone else's talent, with the other you own the contract and could sell him for more or at least get a return

With hindsight, wouldn't we have been better off loaning Butterfield and Johnson for 1 season, instead of buying them?

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

With hindsight, wouldn't we have been better off loaning Butterfield and Johnson for 1 season, instead of buying them?

Mel has since admitted this was a better way of approaching this specific scenario again in the future (Hughes and Bryson injury first game of the season)

39 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

You know full well he’s tricky, quick and creative ? I don’t know why you try to argue against it. He would improve is a hell of a lot and is better than most players in our squad. I would describe mount and Wilson both being “tricky” doesn’t mean they are going to fly past 10 opposition players. It’s the fact they are extremely difficult to play against. Difficult to mark, difficult to follow, difficult to stop and difficult to keep up with 

16 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I'm going to need more specificity than that, I meant specific examples so I can see it ? I just can't remember him being the type of player to dribble past players, if anything I remember in the new year of that season finding him quite frustrating because I didn't think he was offering enough outside of dead ball situations. 

The Brentford example shows he can do it, I think if he signs for us, I'd perhaps like to see it more regularly is all

There were several games where he was the only difference between the two sides - Where we were bang average all game and his goals made the difference - However they're scored it's those players we need more of (still)

Swansea and Reading at home and Sheff Weds away jump out from memory but I could be wrong?

29 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I thought I already covered the pros and cons in my original post...

As an accountant I once heard (maybe in a lecture) you should lease (loan) things that depreciate in value and buy things that go up or hold their value.

I suppose the clever bit is knowing which players will go up in value and which will tank

Oh for a crystal ball - or maybe a good scout ?

Archived