Harry Wilson - gone to Cardiff on a season long loan

Animal is a Ram

26 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Yes, his wand if a left foot and usually excellent end product was a massive boon for us that season. His 15 goals prove that, his 3 assists on the other hand reinforce my point that he doesn't offer enough from general play. For a midfielder/winger who was our star player, I'd expect more assists than that but this is because as I stated, apart from scoring, I don't remember him offering much else and when he didn't score, he usually looked ineffective ie. playoff final

Yeh but you have to ask what 'hole' we're trying to fill here - What I think we're missing is goals from nowhere - We started the season with lots of talented players but no one who was a danger man / deadlock breaker - We know Rooney is and I've always thought Lawrence was - Sibley probably is (but needs the pressure taken off him) - Then we've added Jozwiak (who might be) and Ibe (who is but currently not fit) 

Having another player like that isn't going to be a detriment to our side regardless of how much he influences general play - We have the others to do that now 

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see what is going to happen, can’t you?

He signs tomorrow morning, gets registered in time to play, and then hits a 60-yard rocket into the top corner on Friday night.

But it’s a consolation. We’ve lost 5-1. ‘We should have signed Torrie Wilson’ posts flood the forum.

16 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Just because Villa silenced him doesn’t mean he’s not a good player ?. Teams silence the likes of the messis and ronaldos of this world, are they not good players. I’ve already stated what I mean by tricky. Doesn’t mean he beats every man in every game does it, I said he’s tricky to mark and to handle. Showing that with his goals for us during that season. He’s scored goals in the premier league for Christ sake ? but because he’s not “tricky” in your book and Villa silenced him then he wouldn’t be a good addition 

Can you quote where I said he wasn't a good player, nor he'd be a good addition? I'm questioning how effective he is as a winger from open play. Stop Wilson scoring and he becomes ineffective, teams found this much easier to do in the 2nd half of 18/19 and there was many a game where Wilson was fairly anonymous. 

Still not saying he's a bad player, just that he needs to offer more from open play, certainly i'd expect better than 3 assists from our 1st choice...

17 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh but you have to ask what 'hole' we're trying to fill here - What I think we're missing is goals from nowhere - We started the season with lots of talented players but no one who was a danger man / deadlock breaker - We know Rooney is and I've always thought Lawrence was - Sibley probably is (but needs the pressure taken off him) - Then we've added Jozwiak (who might be) and Ibe (who is but currently not fit) 

Having another player like that isn't going to be a detriment to our side regardless of how much he influences general play - We have the others to do that now 

That's a good point and could be the reason we're after a 3rd winger good enough to be 1st choice. Suppose if Wilson has an ineffective game, we've got other options who can make an impact to bring on. 

The only thing I worry about is Liverpool's habit of stipulating loanees have to play a certain % of minutes, that'd be regressive if we're forced to play someone regardless of performance

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

He signs tomorrow morning, gets registered in time to play, and then hits a 60-yard rocket into the top corner on Friday night.

But it’s a consolation. We’ve lost 5-1. ‘We should have signed Torrie Wilson’ posts flood the forum.

Totally different player/position. But I remember signing a certain Igor Stimac and his first game we lost 5 - 1. I also remember how that season played out. Bring it on I say.

13 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

@YorkshireRam

Watch this and tell me his dribbling isn't good and he can't create much.

He is way more creative than anyone we have at the moment, assists are only assists if the player you pass to scores so it's a misleading statistic in this case. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MOF4kI3WV1k&t=214s

He'd be alright if he had some end product, goals from distance and dead ball situations.  Not one shred of evidence in that highlights reel! 

Dud, move on.  Next ?

15 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

@YorkshireRam

Watch this and tell me his dribbling isn't good and he can't create much.

He is way more creative than anyone we have at the moment, assists are only assists if the player you pass to scores so it's a misleading statistic in this case. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MOF4kI3WV1k&t=214s

Interesting that most of the clips of him creating are when we played him in the midfield 3, a position that no longer exists in our current formation. While I don't disagree, whether he can do it as a winger consistently remains to be seen. Those highlights suggest a player capable of creating more than 3 assists in a full season...

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Interesting that most of the clips of him creating are when we played him in the midfield 3, a position that no longer exists in our current formation. While I don't disagree, whether he can do it as a winger consistently remains to be seen. Those highlights suggest a player capable of creating more than 3 assists in a full season...

Doesnt exist in the current formation but he could play the 10 role in a 4231. Also, 433 is Cocus preferred formation too when its possible

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

We could play him as a 10 in a 4231 or 8 in a 433 and he'd get space through the middle. 5 atb didn't work against Norwich imo we just got very lucky that day, I can't see us playing that formation going forward as our attacking play was non existent and with Bielik back 433 becomes more feasible. 

30 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Signing Torrie Wilson gets my vote.

Think bird Wilson and bielik in midfield would work a treat. Wilson worked best with mount in the midfield. And the closest player to mount we have is bird. Saying that bird is quite defensive compared to mount but the way they play one twos is similar it’s just one of further forward than the other. Our attack would scare most teams in this division. KJ7 Ibe and Lawrence taking on fullbacks with ease. Wilson popping shots off left right and centre. 99% of free kicks go in. Waggy will become a battering ram and just take out the centre half’s and the polish prince in midfield just cropping players and carrying the ball. It’s majestic 

16 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Doesnt exist in the current formation but he could play the 10 role in a 4231. Also, 433 is Cocus preferred formation too when its possible

and block Sibley's progression, directly going against how we've said our transfer policy will operate from now on?

16 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

5 atb didn't work against Norwich imo we just got very lucky that day.........

So it was just a coincidence that Norwich scored the grand total of nil goals?

I know they "nearly" scored, even "should have" scored, but maybe, just maybe having 5 ATB cased their strikers to rush their chances, hence they missed?

8 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Think bird Wilson and bielik in midfield would work a treat. Wilson worked best with mount in the midfield. And the closest player to mount we have is bird. Saying that bird is quite defensive compared to mount but the way they play one twos is similar it’s just one of further forward than the other. Our attack would scare most teams in this division. KJ7 Ibe and Lawrence taking on fullbacks with ease. Wilson popping shots off left right and centre. 99% of free kicks go in. Waggy will become a battering ram and just take out the centre half’s and the polish prince in midfield just cropping players and carrying the ball. It’s majestic 

Like the formation. The three at the back might not be so keen!

15 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

We could play him as a 10 in a 4231 or 8 in a 433 and he'd get space through the middle. 5 atb didn't work against Norwich imo we just got very lucky that day, I can't see us playing that formation going forward as our attacking play was non existent and with Bielik back 433 becomes more feasible. 

In a 433, we've got Bielik, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley, Holmes & Rooney already vying for those 3 spots. £1m seems a lot to loan a player for a season who will only block the youngsters' chances of game time?

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

So it was just a coincidence that Norwich scored the grand total of nil goals?

We were more solid than last few games which isn't hard because we were pathetic against Blackburn but Norwich 9 times out 10 beat us 2 or 3 nill their wastefulness cost them . Maybe we play 5 defenders against Watford then when a few more players are back change to 4231 or. 433.

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

In a 433, we've got Bielik, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley, Holmes & Rooney already vying for those 3 spots. £1m seems a lot to loan a player for a season who will only block the youngsters' chances of game time?

If he's better than what we have I couldnt care less if he blocks other players game time that's a decision for Cocu and the club to make. If Wilson gets us an extra 7 or 8 points then I'm not too bothered if other players miss out, we could loan out Whittaker or Ingram I reckon. 

Archived