Keinan Davis

CornwallRam

While I’d like us to try the markets abroad, as there’s more quality available at better value, I wouldn’t be totally against Davis. He’s got the right physical attributes and is the right age.

We need a more permanent solution than just a season long loan though, if we’re building long term.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Srg said:

So you’d rather us go for old, immobile donkey that WBA fans didn’t rate last year? Clearly isn’t what Cocu, or any number of us lot, want. 

I’ll just give you a moment to re-read my post. I said someone like... in fact I also stated Austin may not be the right choice but whatever championship team he plays in, he scores goals. 

17 minutes ago, Srg said:

So you’d rather us go for old, immobile donkey that WBA fans didn’t rate last year? Clearly isn’t what Cocu, or any number of us lot, want. 

I do. His average is pretty much  one in two at  league level - granted he had a few years at Swindon, but most at our level or higher.  i would defiantly take him.  Very strong player as well .  He's only just turned 31.  

Seemingly a worse finisher than Conor Sammon, but the rest of his game is supposedly top quality. I know a few Villa fans and they all speak highly of him. Reckon if he could score more goals he’d probably get a chance with them. At this level he could be absolute top drawer in terms of his hold up play etc, so I’d be delighted with the signing.... though I do worry where the goals would come from. Both Jozwiak and Ibe are seemingly more creators than goal scorers.

Ok, so I've been reading this great article about his time at Villa: https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2019/8/15/20807059/keinan-davis-impressive-rise-from-non-league-to-premier-league-is-almost-complete

A stand out section that piqued my interest was this:

Critiques of Keinan are usually started after a google search and a quick tally of his goals. There aren’t many. However, that is only a valid criticism of Keinan in a world where context is removed and rendered void. As a deep-lying forward, Keinan has succeeded as a focal point for the attack - where his ability to dominate territory in the final third and create chances is valued over his capacity to finish striking opportunities. Davis can win the ball, press, hold off tackles and connect with the wings in a manner that makes him an incredibly useful option to have - should he make an appearance for Villa.

His hold-up abilities, work-rate, ball skills, strength, aerial prowess and demeanour have made Keinan an asset to Aston Villa - and one that was scouted by a large amount of Championship sides. Villa rejected advances for Keinan in August with Villa Head Coach Dean Smith showing faith in the young striker following a promising training camp in July. The measure of that faith was shown as Villa’s own transfer committee opted against the signing of another forward on deadline day, choosing to stick with the trio of Wesley, Kodjia and Davis.

This article was from the beginning of last season and Villa have signed more forwards than I've hat hot dinners since then. If we can get him on a cheap deal he could be the ideal target man option.

I wasn't impressed on first google, but he is an interesting prospect.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Seemingly a worse finisher than Conor Sammon, but the rest of his game is supposedly top quality. I know a few Villa fans and they all speak highly of him. Reckon if he could score more goals he’d probably get a chance with them. At this level he could be absolute top drawer in terms of his hold up play etc, so I’d be delighted with the signing.... though I do worry where the goals would come from. Both Jozwiak and Ibe are seemingly more creators than goal scorers.

Davis/Waghorn/Marriott/JHI

Ibe/Knight/Lawrence/Duncan/Sibley/Jozwiak/Waghorn/Whittaker

Imagine being able to pick any 4 of them in any combination. I'm pretty sure we'd find a way to score goals, and in a variety of different ways.

52 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I’d have been so disappointed if the first comment was anything other than someone, basically saying he’s poo....thank you ?

Even though it's only a press article linking him surely that's enough that we can say not only is he rubbish we can also roundly boo him now too! 

Booooooooo get him off Cocu you clown. 

Just now, roboto said:

Davis/Waghorn/Marriott/JHI

Ibe/Knight/Lawrence/Duncan/Sibley/Jozwiak/Waghorn/Whittaker

Imagine being able to pick any 4 of them in any combination. I'm pretty sure we'd find a way to score goals, and in a variety of different ways.

No doubt there’s a lot of quality in there (you’re missing out Duncan as well!). Just not many out and out goalscorers. But I guess if we create enough chances, even players who don’t normally score will get in good positions and take their chances.

When did fans become obsessed with stats? It’s ultimately bonkers to judge a player on stats alone before we’ve signed him.  Let scouts scout him, let the manager decide if he wants him, get him, play him and - after a reasonable number of games - let’s judge him then. 

Duncan is in there, unless you mean Duane ? 

Knight, Sibley and Waghorn scored a decent amount last season. Marriott is supposedly a natural goalscorer (perhaps he will thrive with better service). Bobby Duncan and JHI have scored for fun at youth level. Lawrence scores quite a few too and had a great return for Ipswich before we signed him.

The conversion rate will be less important if we can increase the amount of chances created.

Edit: In reply to @Millenniumram

Archived