Keinan Davis

CornwallRam

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Wignall12 said:

Get a grip , give your head a wobble 

I was referencing some of the comments about buying a 20 goal a year striker. We don't have that kind of money. Bargain basement and cast offs are nearer our means and we'll have to hope that they can then be developed by the coaching team.  

Davis is an all action target man, capable of causing panic with his movement. He would be a good focal point if you put the right players around him, plus you could hope he develops into something more than he currently is. 

Nevertheless, I would say signings are all about red flags and his lack of goals is a massive red flag. It’s not to say that he wouldn’t be useful for be a success here, but you could easily look back if he were to flop and say ‘why did we sign a striker with 2 goals in 40 odd Championship games’. It’s ok to be disconcerted with such a record, yet see other benefits. 

Eric Steele mentioned him in the game against Reading as a potential option for us, yet did say ‘he won’t get you goals’ and that’s from watching him in the England camp. 

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Davis is an all action target man, capable of causing panic with his movement. He would be a good focal point if you put the right players around him, plus you could hope he develops into something more than he currently is. 

Nevertheless, I would say signings are all about red flags and his lack of goals is a massive red flag. It’s not to say that he wouldn’t be useful for be a success here, but you could easily look back if he were to flop and say ‘why did we sign a striker with 2 goals in 40 odd Championship games’. It’s ok to be disconcerted with such a record, yet see other benefits. 

Eric Steele mentioned him in the game against Reading as a potential option for us, yet did say ‘he won’t get you goals’ and that’s from watching him in the England camp. 

His lack of goals is a concern. He may be an option off the bench, but neither he nor Villa (if on loan) would be happy with that.

4 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

His lack of goals is a concern. He may be an option off the bench, but neither he nor Villa (if on loan) would be happy with that.

It seems unlikely doesn't it, a player who's bought off the bench 2 games into the season dropping down a league.

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It seems unlikely doesn't it, a player who's bought off the bench 2 games into the season dropping down a league.

Agreed. He's not going to develop as a player sitting on our bench any more than he will sitting on Villa's. You'd have to presume he'd be a starter if he joins, or else there's no point him coming. He looks like he has something that we don't already have in the team though, so he could be useful. 

Our fans would slate Firmino if we signed him due to his goal record. He 'only' scored 9 goals in a free scoring Liverpool team last season, with only 1 of them being at home and that was the last home game of the season. If he did that in a Rams shirt he would be crucified.

Another example is Emile Heskey, wasnt ever the most prolific, had the odd purple patch, but for his strike partners and other players around him they loved playing with him due to what he bought to the team.

There isnt a decent striker out there in the UK or decent European levels that has scored 20+ goals in either of the last 2 seasons and within our budget. And if someone can find an example be my guest but I can guarantee he is a Nick Blackman done it once type of player or is from a remote european league with no guarantee he will repeat the goals here.

Just because a player has a poor record elsewhere doesnt mean it will be poor with us and just because they have scored for fun elsewhere it doesnt mean he will for us either.

Lets see who signs and what they bring to the team.

Rant over.

I suppose you could think of him a bit like Danny Graham in terms of his goalscoring.

Did bugger all for us on loan but a drop down in division and a few (a fair few tbf!) seasons he was banging them in.

He was here in 2005/6. In 2009/10 he got 14 goals at Championship level then 27 in 2010/11. 

This guy seems to have more attributes to his game than Graham though, and you'd just have to hope it doesn't take him 4-5 years to learn how to finish! 

Sorry I'm really not getting this.  We are a side woefully short of goals and there seems to be a lot of excitement about bringing in someone who scores one every thirty games and couldn't get a start for Villa when they were mid table in our league.  I've read comparisons with Firmino, Antonio and to a lesser level prime Heskey this evening for a bloke warming Villas bench for 4 years.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sorry I'm really not getting this.  We are a side woefully short of goals and there seems to be a lot of excitement about bringing in someone who scores one every thirty games and couldn't get a start for Villa when they were mid table in our league.  I've read comparisons with Firmino, Antonio and to a lesser level prime Heskey this evening for a bloke warming Villas bench for 4 years.

I completely understand the concern. But I feel Ibe and Jozwiak are full of goals, Knight, Sibley will definitely contribute, Lawrence usually hits double figures, Waghorn is prone to hitting at least 10 too. The problem is, when we hit the ball up to Marriott it comes straight back. Keinan Davis might hold the ball much better, it allows us to bring the other creative players into play much better.

He's young, and has a huge amount to prove. Cocu clearly prefers a target man to a striker like Marriott, so it's much more his kind of player. I think if given enough time, and chances in front of net, he can be clinical. I have a friend who used to play in the same Villa academy team as Keinan who really rates him, so I'd like to see us give him a chance.

4 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Apparently Villa want him to sign a new deal before they loan him out so it suggests they still like him. Sort of signing that if he does end up doing well we could maybe turn it into a permanent.

They have Watkins, Traore & Samatta with Wesley to return in Jan so do they really need another striker before they loan him out?

No one else seems to have commented on this. Seems in Villa's eyes it's a one-season deal to develop their player for them. The question then is whether we get enough out of it to make it worthwhile? How much better than our current strikers will he be? 

In terms of young forwards it looks as if we have a few who will be coming through (eg Whittaker, JMI, Stretton) to accompany Waggy and Marriott so maybe we just want a one-season deal anyway? That way, we're not blocking the route to the first team permanently. 

51 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I completely understand the concern. But I feel Ibe and Jozwiak are full of goals, Knight, Sibley will definitely contribute, Lawrence usually hits double figures, Waghorn is prone to hitting at least 10 too. The problem is, when we hit the ball up to Marriott it comes straight back. Keinan Davis might hold the ball much better, it allows us to bring the other creative players into play much better.

He's young, and has a huge amount to prove. Cocu clearly prefers a target man to a striker like Marriott, so it's much more his kind of player. I think if given enough time, and chances in front of net, he can be clinical. I have a friend who used to play in the same Villa academy team as Keinan who really rates him, so I'd like to see us give him a chance.

I think the problem we have is that anyone coming in is going to be compared to Martin and Waghorn, whom they will be effectively replacing, or in Waghorn’s case, competing with for a place in the XI.

Martin and Waghorn both have their strengths but both players also have a proven track record of scoring goals.

So talk of us signing a target man who is not known for scoring goals will unsurprisingly get people scratching their heads.

Yes, there can be more to a striker’s game than scoring goals. But it is still their number one duty at the end of the day.

Unless you have goals coming from your midfield, your wide players, and plenty of threat at set pieces, your starting striker will be expected to weigh in heavily.

Davis ticks a lot of boxes, but if he is not a goalscorer, then that is putting a lot of pressure on the rest of the team to deliver.

You can get away with it if you are Klopp’s Liverpool or Bielsa’s Leeds and play in such a way that means you have threats from all angles. I don’t think we are there yet.

Lawrence, Ibe and Jozwiak are there primarily to open teams up and create chances, and there isn’t solid evidence to suggest they can be relied upon to score goals at a prolific rate. 

Knight and Sibley are young players who will chip in when and how they can, but they are too inexperienced to be depended on.

Then we have Clarke, Wisdom and Te Wierik - none of whom who are known for being a big threat at set pieces.

The striker we sign will have to be a goalscorer first and foremost.

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I really dont know how many times people are going to write off a striker because of his scoring record.

Have we really learnt nothing from Chris Martin? Stats were poor before he joined us and not all that great whilst out on loan, I know he had his medical condition but still not great.

Sometimes players just fit into a team and suit the style of play. Martin did so maybe Davis, Zohore or whoever else we get linked to and sign will just fit into our team.

We want someone tall, strong, mobile with a good physical presence. So if he ticks these boxes then he suits what we need and what Cocu wants. Also, these types of players dont always have great scoring stats.

Martin at Norwich - 114 games, 32 goals, 14 assists
Zohore at Cardiff (15-19) - 101 games, 24 goals, 11 assists
Zohore at WBA (19/20) - 20 games, 5 goals, 1 assist
Davis (Villa) - 69 games, 5 goals, 5 assists
Davis (Villa U23s) - 33 games, 7 goals, 8 assists

I do agree in an ideal world we would buy someone with the same attributes and can score goals but I just don't think we have the cash for that. As we've seen with some of the other deals we're buying folk who are relatively cheap with potential. This kid fits into that category. Villa want to keep him too so they must think he will come good. 

Think I've read in the the last year of his contract so I don't think it will be a loan, unless he signs a new one then comes on loan

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There’s middle ground between “getting excited” and completely writing him of because of his goal record. Which Is actually 5 goals in 69 games for Villa. Not exactly prolific, but not 1 in 30, and for a young lad with other attributes who at least half those appearances have been from the bench in the premier league, it wouldn’t be the terrible signing some are making out.

How many goals did Steve Howard get in the premier league? He was more than good enough for this level.

Archived