Keinan Davis

CornwallRam

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think the thing that would reassure me here is Davis looks a technically good player whereas as Sammon barely looked a footballer at times. Given his age, lack of starts, physicality and that there might be a decent technical foundation to work with I think the goals could come for Davis with the right coaching.

I agree, was pretty impressed with his sub appearance today. Looked to have a good touch, which would be an improvement straight off the bat.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s bang on form this season -  averaged a goal every 47 minutes!!!  ?

On a more serious note - pace, power and a team player with a massive work ethic - never gives the opposition CH a breather. I think thats probably what the reference to a “defensive forward’ references ..... attack from the back / defend from the front etc.

I’d like the variation this gives our attack.

Apparently Villa want him to sign a new deal before they loan him out so it suggests they still like him. Sort of signing that if he does end up doing well we could maybe turn it into a permanent.

They have Watkins, Traore & Samatta with Wesley to return in Jan so do they really need another striker before they loan him out?

I player I know well and have seen a fair bit. He'd be a 10 goals a season striker I reckon. The 'sign a new deal' bit above puts me off. Whereas now he is only on £5,000 a week, which we could probably afford to match, his new deal may be considerably more, so a no from me if that's the case. 

Reminded me of Emile Heskey from the cameo I've just seen (heavily caveated by him playing against very tired Sheff Utd defence)

Held the ball up very well in their penalty box - backed in, strong & touch/short passing range looked absolutely fine. He also looked like he could shift & on one occasion, moved rapidly down the left to put an excellent ball across the six yard box. His movement in general was good & dragged a defender away to enable Grealish to get a couple more seconds with his 2 late chances. Couldn't really tell what he was like in the air but he's clearly a big guy. It was also apparent he's not the type to force a shot away - seemed happier to put a teammate in.

I've said numerous times that the type of centre forward we get is more important than his goal record. Irrespective of whether we go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, we need a strong & technically adept centre forward - pace & mobility as a real bonus. Davis looks (from the little I've seen of him) to have those attributes & looks capable of forming the platform to enable Knight & Sibley to cause carnage - much in the same way Martin enabled Bryson to score so many. I also believe Ibe, Jozwiak & Lawrence to be all capable of scoring 10-15 with the right platform (and a bit of luck on the injury front)

Reservations - firstly (and assuming its not a loan), how much he's likely to cost given Villa trust him to come & on see games out - a pretty vital function for them given they're still looking to establish themselves at Prem level. Secondly, how are some of our more idiotic fans going to react to a forward who is unlikely to ever be a 20 goal a season man for us? Maybe the lack of PP crowds may help Davis establish himself in the side first (if he signs) so most can see his value before they return.

2 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

I player I know well and have seen a fair bit. He'd be a 10 goals a season striker I reckon. The 'sign a new deal' bit above puts me off. Whereas now he is only on £5,000 a week, which we could probably afford to match, his new deal may be considerably more, so a no from me if that's the case. 

I thought this,  at his age a permanent would make sense for us,  a loan wouldn't and I would definitely prefer someone else of it was a loan etc

Would be happy with this signing, would rather have a permanent deal than a loan if its affordable. Don't think he will ever be a 20 goal a season striker but its something Derby haven't  had for a really long time ... genuine pace and power and someone that can hold the ball up.

Chris Martins hold up play was excellent but he couldn't run the channels and create for someone else.

Nice to see us linked with young talents that will fit a system rather than someone that has half a good season in the championship.

Could form a really good partnership up front with Marriott if we wanted to go 2 up top.

34 minutes ago, dazzadcfc said:

Would be happy with this signing, would rather have a permanent deal than a loan if its affordable. Don't think he will ever be a 20 goal a season striker but its something Derby haven't  had for a really long time ... genuine pace and power and someone that can hold the ball up.

Chris Martins hold up play was excellent but he couldn't run the channels and create for someone else.

Nice to see us linked with young talents that will fit a system rather than someone that has half a good season in the championship.

Could form a really good partnership up front with Marriott if we wanted to go 2 up top.

The 2 teams that finished in the top 2 last season. Neither had a 20 goal striker.

I think Bamford was Leeds top scorer with about 10.

Robson-Kanu and Austin had 6 each.

17 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The 2 teams that finished in the top 2 last season. Neither had a 20 goal striker.

I think Bamford was Leeds top scorer with about 10.

Robson-Kanu and Austin had 6 each.

To be honest if you go back a bit of time it's quickly apparent that a 20 goal a season striker being some kind of pre-requisite for promotion is somewhat flawed thinking. 

In the past 5 seasons 8/15 of promoted teams had a striker score 20 or more. Just over half. I also think some not great players have hit that mark in the championship and failed to replicate it elsewhere, in a lot of cases it's often about the striker fitting the team and hitting a good vein of form.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Reminded me of Emile Heskey from the cameo I've just seen (heavily caveated by him playing against very tired Sheff Utd defence)

Held the ball up very well in their penalty box - backed in, strong & touch/short passing range looked absolutely fine. He also looked like he could shift & on one occasion, moved rapidly down the left to put an excellent ball across the six yard box. His movement in general was good & dragged a defender away to enable Grealish to get a couple more seconds with his 2 late chances. Couldn't really tell what he was like in the air but he's clearly a big guy. It was also apparent he's not the type to force a shot away - seemed happier to put a teammate in.

I've said numerous times that the type of centre forward we get is more important than his goal record. Irrespective of whether we go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, we need a strong & technically adept centre forward - pace & mobility as a real bonus. Davis looks (from the little I've seen of him) to have those attributes & looks capable of forming the platform to enable Knight & Sibley to cause carnage - much in the same way Martin enabled Bryson to score so many. I also believe Ibe, Jozwiak & Lawrence to be all capable of scoring 10-15 with the right platform (and a bit of luck on the injury front)

Reservations - firstly (and assuming its not a loan), how much he's likely to cost given Villa trust him to come & on see games out - a pretty vital function for them given they're still looking to establish themselves at Prem level. Secondly, how are some of our more idiotic fans going to react to a forward who is unlikely to ever be a 20 goal a season man for us? Maybe the lack of PP crowds may help Davis establish himself in the side first (if he signs) so most can see his value before they return.

Presumably we have been watching him for some time. At least I would hope so.

23 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

To be honest if you go back a bit of time it's quickly apparent that a 20 goal a season striker being some kind of pre-requisite for promotion is somewhat flawed thinking. 

In the past 5 seasons 8/15 of promoted teams had a striker score 20 or more. Just over half. I also think some not great players have hit that mark in the championship and failed to replicate it elsewhere, in a lot of cases it's often about the striker fitting the team and hitting a good vein of form.

What u really need is goals from all over the pitch keep the opposition guessing and worried ,spread that 20 through the team 

Archived