Luton v Derby Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I don’t have access to the training ground so couldn’t tell you. 

Having looked at that second goal again. I don’t think you can legislate for the complete mess Clarke makes of that (I thought Fozzy was at fault as well but I’d say it’s Clarke) he sees his left back ahead of him after tracking a player, so he goes and stands next to him in the centre of the goal leaving a gaping hole behind him.........not sure what you can do in training to change that specific defensive failure, it’s should be common sense to cover that back post/LB slot

Defending 101. Get more players behind the ball.

58 minutes ago, Alpha said:

And that's a fair argument and it's that line of thought that means I keep the faith. 

But the football is crap. It is negative. We lose more than we win. We concede more than we score. Whether we play Scunthorpe or Cardiff we always look like we're facing a side that can match us stride for stride. We face teams that can't afford the players in our starting line up. Teams who's record transfers and wage budgets are half ours or less. And we still can't think of a way to open them up while they figure ways to create sometimes multiple great chances.

And that's where bit by bit my faith slips and is slipping. 

Generally speaking it looks like a continuation of the last few games of last season. We have carried on from where we left off. Martin and Hudd's going was a red flag for me. You have to work harder than the opposition if you want to win. Losses by most clubs often include players not running back to stop a goal but they just seem to be viewing it. A lot of our players appear not to be on form at the same time. Difficult to say why that appears to be true.

58 minutes ago, JayRam1 said:

Don’t know how anyone can say we’ve played badly today, yes a few errors which unfortunately we conceded from but we deserved at least a point today, Luton were very lucky to win that game! Once we get a couple of more signings in and players back to fitness we will be a big threat!

It's not OK to be playing well every week, but conceding 'unlucky goals' or making unfortunate errors. The table will look just the same, if you are playing poorly and losing. In all honesty, we aren't even playing well and haven't been for some time. 

Not sure what the solutions are, but I do know that we shouldn't be losing to Luton Town.

3 minutes ago, europia said:

It's not OK to be playing well every week, but conceding 'unlucky goals' or making unfortunate errors. The table will look just the same, if you are playing poorly and losing. In all honesty, we aren't even playing well and haven't been for some time. 

Not sure what the solutions are, but I do know that we shouldn't be losing to Luton Town.

Why shouldn’t we be losing to Luton? With alot of our first 11 not playing due to injury?You should know by now in this division anyone can beat anyone. Luton will take a lot of points off teams this season and so will a lot of other championship teams. 

Didn’t see or listen to the game today but from what I’ve followed and what my mates have said, second half was much better and ultimately defensive errors have cost us. 
With injuries, pre-season the way it has gone, embargo and needing to sell to strengthen, we weren’t ready to start the season. Unfortunately weve had two winnable games first up and lost them both. With a tough run of games coming up it puts the pressure on. We’ve got to start improving at some point or risk being in a difficult position.

Still have faith in Cocu given his pedigree and record working with youth. Also can’t ignore our form in the second half of last season. I’m not expecting to be near the bottom 3 at Christmas again, but if we are then he should expect some stick and tough questions. But before anyone calling for his head, they have to think who would do a better job with the same resources at their disposal. A new manager won’t be able to splash the cash on the squad he wants. 

I remain hopeful that after a slow start we’ll pick up after smashing the red dogs and we will compete around the top 6 this season. But clearly we need to do better than we are.

19 minutes ago, europia said:

Because we’re Derby county and we have a divine right to not lose to the likes Luton town. Derby county who have had 12 seasons in the championship.

Come on! Surely you know by now this league doesn’t work like that and anyone can beat anyone. Like when Blackburn who got relegated took 6 points of champions Newcastle. 

7 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Ah that classic. "We shouldn't be losing to -insert team here-"

Tell that to Cardiff, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Bristol City, Brentford, Charlton, Sheff Weds, Middlesbrough, Swansea, Reading & Norwich who are all Championship teams who've all lost to Luton this season or last.

We always lose to teams that we "shouldn't be losing to," anyway.
Since McClaren took over first time, we've lost to relegated Charlton, Hull, Rotherham, Bolton, Barnsley, Burton, Sunderland, Blackburn (twice), MK Dons and Wigan sides.
"Shouldn't be losing to" has come to mean "will probably somehow get beat by" for me.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Did you think the second half was better? I thought we looked much more threatening, because we were actually using width. Jozwiak got round the fullbacks multiple times, and Byrne was an amazing attacking option. In general, I've shared your view that we look so easy to defend against, but today swayed my opinion a bit, I saw a much more threatening Derby. 

Yeah but it makes me more frustrated that we don't do it more and sooner. 

I've seen us score from crap crosses etc and we've conceded from hopeful punts etc yet we don't start doing those things until we are forced to. I don't get why it's not in with the game plan. To just have an eye on the risky pass or cross rather than totally focused or the nearest and safest. 

We very rarely overlap on the flanks until chasing the game. 

And we lose and the next game we start off again like a passing exercise. 

It's just too frustrating and reminds me of someone like Capello or Van Gaal or even Clement who's obsession with controlling the game took their eyes off controlling results. 

We rarely counter attack. We would rather get the game back under control and set the tempo. 

5 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

We didnt play too badly today. Yes they were very v v v winnable opponents had we had our strongest team but we didnt. If you honestly think we wouldnt have won any of the 3 had we had Lawrence Waghorn Rooney Holmes and even Jozwiak for all 3 then I dont think you should bother whilst Cocu is here

I agree we would probably have collected points I’m not out to hate on cocu 

I want stability above anything 

it’s just so frustrating... 

I mean .. for the love of god ... their commentary team said it 

I was thinking it and I’m sure most watching us think it 

we are so easy to defend against 

everything is infront of the opposition with slow ponderous build up, no support to the lone striker and bugger all intent to get Marriott in over the top 

it was all too easy For the opposition  ... Again 

so while I totally acknowledge the mitigating circumstances it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t try and play to the strengths of what’s on the pitch 

why does it take him til half time every game to get them higher up the pitch ?

is he sending them out to sit deeper and offer nothing first half to try and open it up second ?

im just baffled 

I’m pretty confident other managers would try and play to the strengths of what they have on the pitch  

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Ah that classic. "We shouldn't be losing to -insert team here-"

Tell that to Cardiff, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Bristol City, Brentford, Charlton, Sheff Weds, Middlesbrough, Swansea, Reading & Norwich who are all Championship teams who've all lost to Luton this season or last.

Yeah, but "we should beating" all of them too of course!

Archived