Luton v Derby Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah but it makes me more frustrated that we don't do it more and sooner. 

I've seen us score from crap crosses etc and we've conceded from hopeful punts etc yet we don't start doing those things until we are forced to. I don't get why it's not in with the game plan. To just have an eye on the risky pass or cross rather than totally focused or the nearest and safest. 

We very rarely overlap on the flanks until chasing the game. 

And we lose and the next game we start off again like a passing exercise. 

It's just too frustrating and reminds me of someone like Capello or Van Gaal or even Clement who's obsession with controlling the game took their eyes off controlling results. 

We rarely counter attack. We would rather get the game back under control and set the tempo. 

In fairness, we mixed it up a lot more yesterday than I've seen in a while. We did go long occasionally (remember first half pressure after Marriott got put over the top from a ball down the channel) & there were some counter attacks second half.

Suspect the desire to control tempo is to tire out the opponent's press & no coincidence that we got more joy second half vs both Preston & Luton. I dont disagree with the theory but the problem comes when we're just playing in front of them. The tempo needs to be quicker to make them work (with more movement around the ball) & our touch when receiving it in the final 3rd needs to be better...Marriott was particularly bad at this first half. This is where the CF issue is so important as we're not getting that platform. Would be great if Hector-Ingram were able to play that role in the interim as think he has the strength to hold.

First half not great and unbalanced. Second half we were the better side. Lovely goal and good to see Bird pushing on. Playing 433 2nd half we looked decent. Imo game changed with Marriott going off as although young lad looked strong when he came on, he gave away too many fouls and play broke down.  Many positives for me:

Byrne

Knight

Bird second half

Rooney second half

Our Polish lad was a constant threat

Wisdom

Imo the winning goal only came about as we were down to 10 men.

With the second half line up remaining unchanged we would have won no question.

Boo hoo we lost. So what!!!! Big improvement and early days. We will improve further and i fully expect us to kick in. Play off challengers not sure but early days and with likes of Luton near the top amd Forest nr bottom the table will change soon enough.

Fozzy bashers give the guy a break. Still offers a decent outball.

Lots of negatives in here which is fairly silly really 

we are missing our better players, playing youngsters more than we probably should, whilst we try to reinforce the team with signings we cannot make just yet because we are up to the hilt financially and oh yes there is a huge pandemic occurring which impacts everything 

I watched the match yesterday and didnt think much of Luton, we should have put them away. on the whole we were much improved we just need some of our senior players back, I think Holmes would have run riot yesterday as would Lawrence. I like what I saw from Kamil and Bryne. we are building all will be good . much better performance

Just seen the goals, my oh my is that Hamer in goal for the first goal? Piss poor keeping from Marshall, for the 2nd it was rank bad defending no excuses about 10 men,  Forsyth's positioning was hopeless but Clarke could have at least covered for him. Forsyths defending at times from seeing the highlights was league 2 standard at best, if he was anymore narrow with his positioning he would be standing in the ducking goal time and time again he was holding hands with the centre back, we may as well have played Cocu left back as a player manager.

Buchanan has to play after that, can't do any worse. Have to bring in a new left back or maybe see how Shinnie does there if we can't afford to bring a decent one in.  How anyone can defend Forsyth after that is beyond me, if I'd played that badly I would have asked to be subbed off 

23 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I watched back highlights and Fozzy at fault for the winner as he got sucked in.  I thought he did ok but that was schoolboy defending. I do stand by the fact that with a left winger still on the pitch they would have at least tracked back so may have made it more difficult for their goalscorer to have a free header

I would disagree. Forsyth tracks a runner inside Clarke and then the ball goes out wide to their left winger. Clarke is left marking the guy who scores and can see all of our defence, the only one who can. 

He then makes the decision to move back into the middle. Once the ball had gone wide everyone should stay in the same position, whether they have earlier swapped or not.

A Luton shot falls to a Luton player on the edge. The defence has a split second to get back in to shape - Clarke should be communicating with Fozzy, telling him to either pick up the man in the middle, or get back in to position.image.thumb.png.109f35acbd46bde58bfcb20e90b7ea94.png

Fozzy gets sucked in, leaving Clarke with the man in the middle AND leaving a man open at the back. Clarke has done the right thing by marking the more immediate threat as the other two defenders in the middle got sucked in.
image.thumb.png.fe7265c69d7448cf11d3764f00a8fe03.png

Byrne defended very well. Knight probably could have marked the crosser a bit tighter (but I think that's being harsh), Wisdom did the right thing by marking the near post.

For me the fault is mainly Fozzy's. Fozzy should have either marked the man in the middle or dropped back in to position to mark the man at the back. Clarke could have told Fozzy to mark the man in the middle, allowing himself to mark the man at the back, or told Fozzy to get back to LB... Fozzy is experienced enough to have aware and known what to do.

Having a watched the game back I noticed a few things. Firstly I think a large reason why we dropped off performance wise in the first half was because Luton tactically switched to allow us to have the ball in the left hand corner of our side. With Shinnie being fairly static and not nearly doing enough to really provide passing options out from the back on that side, Forsyth lacking a bit of pace, ability to carry the ball and the occasional daft and finally with Knight being a converted midfielder it essentially was a bit too easy to pen us in on that side. (Also wasn't helped by a static Rooney and Mariott not getting into space/being too easy to bully off the ball). Tactically by essentially replacing Shinnie with Rooney, bringing on Sibley and switching Jozwiak we could create passing lanes a lot easier. The interplay between Rooney and Bird compared to Bird and Shinne was stark in the difference in which they moved into space to open up passing opportunities. Also Rooney's ability to hit that quick diagonal kept Luton's press a bit more honest. 

Other  thoughts:

• Byrne and Jozwiak are looking very good signings and exactly what we needed
  • I'm actually pleasently surprised by Marshall's ability on the ball
  • Shinnie isn't a first choice player for me with how we play and we should revert to the midfield pairing that was the most successful last year of Bird and Rooney, now Rooney is fit.
  • Rooney just doesn't have it to play a more attacking role and is far far more effective deeper
  • I am not as low on Fozzy as a lot of people but the difference in pace down the right and pace down the left was stark especially first half. I'd like to see Buchanan be given a go.
  • Mariott is just a bit too ineffectual and easy to defend against. I think he is going to lose his place sooner rather than later
  • Based on footage from his time at PSV, I do think the first 15/second half is the goal long term in terms of how play. Yes losing sucks but if we can build off that second half performance I think we will be in a decent place.

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

A lot of focus on us letting a goal in maybe we should focus on how many very good crosses we didn’t score from - especially from knight who delivered some great crosses

A fair point for sure. we could even focus on the fact that we're actually getting some dangerous balls into the right areas as it's fair to say we've struggled to do so in pre-season. I think Byrne, Jozwiak and hopefully Ibe are going to give our strikers plenty of ammo this season and I for one can't wait to see it. With Ibe and possibly a new striker in place too, I think we'll not only see exactly how Cocu wants us to play, but plenty of goals too. Ball on the ground, possession-based footy with rapid transition from defence / holding to attack, all using pacy FBS and even pacier wingers. 

Many will still find stuff to criticise of course, but most will be delighted to see us return to the fluid attacking style we saw in patches last season. I'm still banking on a top 6 finish, that's for sure, however unlikely that seems given recent outings.

COYR

On 20/09/2020 at 07:49, LeedsCityRam said:

In fairness, we mixed it up a lot more yesterday than I've seen in a while. We did go long occasionally (remember first half pressure after Marriott got put over the top from a ball down the channel) & there were some counter attacks second half.

Suspect the desire to control tempo is to tire out the opponent's press & no coincidence that we got more joy second half vs both Preston & Luton. I dont disagree with the theory but the problem comes when we're just playing in front of them. The tempo needs to be quicker to make them work (with more movement around the ball) & our touch when receiving it in the final 3rd needs to be better...Marriott was particularly bad at this first half. This is where the CF issue is so important as we're not getting that platform. Would be great if Hector-Ingram were able to play that role in the interim as think he has the strength to hold.

This is the key bit for me it will never cease to amaze how often players will just be static and essentially mark themselves out of the game. We have a few culprits for this in the side and it's often why the ball is going backwards/sideways. Go back and watch some of the footage recently and look for when the likes of Bird, a centre back or full back have the ball look up and essentially their are options are: easy option backwards/sideways, pass to player on his heels closely marked, risky ball forwards that needs pinpoint accuracy or pump into the channels. There is a distinct lack sometimes of a player trying to get into space to give a passing option even if the ball doesn't go to them. It's the foundation on which you build a possession side. A large reason we improved on saturday was the tactical shift in midfield made it easier to move the ball quickly and open passing lanes.

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

A lot of focus on us letting a goal in maybe we should focus on how many very good crosses we didn’t score from - especially from knight who delivered some great crosses

I think you can file this in the box that says "Reasons why we need a striker or at least Waghorn fit"

Archived