Luton v Derby Match Thread

Boycie

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I agree cocu hasn’t been here long and these defensive problems are quite new, he should spend a bit of time on this area.  I am sorry but what the duck is he doing really?

Quite new? Where have you been? Chelsea in the cup last year and that string of own goals in matches? Think we just used to score more so it didnt matter as much. 

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Don’t want to end up Like this loserimage.png.a1460748f1ad136b1919a9e30ec11b36.png

He has the stance and posture of a defeated man.

Or a british person about to say 'well, it's been nice seeing you' while trying to make a polite escape for the 5th time in an hour. 

Or that's just how he sits. 

Now I’ve calmed down I’ll give ratings. 

marshall - 5 was partly at fault for the first goal but other than that didn’t really have much to do. Caught some crosses and did a steady job. 

bryne - 8 imo our joint best player. Was up and down that right side all day. Couldn’t do much for the first goal as he had 3 players on him.  He closes the cross the player passes to another person who crosses and Bose Versa. 

clarke - 4 hasn’t been great recently and could be at fault for both goals. Pretty poor to be honest. 

wiz - 7 thought he was quite good brought the ball out of defence well and only had a few stray passes  

fozzy - 1 unfortunately hes past it. Was being turned in and out the whole time by their wingers. Some people criticise Lawrence for being inconsistent but fozzy is the example for being inconsistent. Unfortunately he’s having more bad games than good games now. Shinnie should step up  

bird - 6 first half would be a 2 second would be a 8. He was appealing first half and looked scared to even look forward. Second half he was given freedom a bit further forward and he was brilliant. Was linking the play nicely.

rooney - 6 same as bird really. Didn’t work further up field but once he dropped deeper he dictated the game from deep. Was a joy to watch with some of his cross field passes. 

shinnie - 3 didn’t really do much to be honest. He battled but didn’t have much quality on the ball. 

jozwiak - 8 this kid is class. Just what we needed. Every time he got the ball his first thought was forward. The Luton left back was on toast at points. Joint motm  

knight - 6 battled. Had a few moments of quality and linked well with Byrne second half. 

marriott - 4 good finish however he didn’t really do anything else. His touch was dire at points. 

subs:

sibley - 7 he did well had real moments of quality and could have almost scored. 

morgan - n/a didn’t really do much to be honest. 

JHI - 6 thought he did decent. Could have scored woth his second touch probably should have tried to chip but he battled and chased and put himSelf about  

cocu -7 some people claiming cocu out however I thought he set us up well today. It wasn’t his fault for the goals today. He’s got us to press higher and it was working for large parts of the game. First half was negative but his change from 4231 to 433 worked a treat.

51 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Quite new? Where have you been? Chelsea in the cup last year and that string of own goals in matches? Think we just used to score more so it didnt matter as much. 

Sorry taking the mick, the current situation is far from new

According the Cocu interview:

When we were down to 10 men with Jozwiak injured, we had everything set up for us to make the sub and had notified the officials, even giving them the paperwork this time (!), the officials proceded to let the throw in be taken and the game continue with us a man short.

Cocu didn't blame the officials, and it isn't the reason we conceded, and lost (although it can't have helped) but even so, more utter incompetence.

It's hard not to feel at least a little sense of injustice.

Putting aside my disdain for the kind of football we are serving up at the minute, no one will convince me that some of the refereeing decisions are not influenced by the EFL.

Thought it was bad last season but watch this season, there'll be even more clangers/outright howlers given against us, and i can't dismiss it as poor refereeing anymore, i think any little revenge they can get with refs who dislike us etc, they'll take.

Some flashes of real promise but overall, not good enough. Obviously the defending for both their goals was awful but there are other issues too. The workrate of the players dropped off dramatically after the first 15 mins - Luton by contrast were constantly pressing & both attacked & defended as a unit and any joy we got in their final third we had to work hard for. The most frustrating thing is that on the odd occasion we pressed them, it was very effective. They are not a high quality team but if you don't match that effort, you won't win games.

Second half was much better with Rooney dropping deeper & dictating the play. The goal was excellent & we seemed to be taking charge but felt the intensity dropped again as we neared the last 10 mins.  We had enough attacking options to drag them all over the pitch but the slower tempo allowed them to get back into it. This was a game we should have won.

Thought Byrne did well on his full debut, looked very good going forward & sound defensively, although he could have done more to stop the cross for the first goal. Was also impressed with Hector-Ingram when he came on - strong, quick, direct - his first touch to set up his chance was excellent also & a marked contrast to Marriott's heavy touches throughout the game. Its also clear Jozwiak is a real talent - his potential injury is just too depressing for words.

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

60 games maybe, but at no point has he been allowed a decent run at it with a settled and consistent selection of players at his disposal.

Nor has he really been able to add any players he actually wants to fit how he wants us to play. I mean OK there was Bielik, who had everything he needs from his central midfielders and bam, ACL.

He's got Jozwiak now, who looks like everything he needs on the wing and... well I dread to think. Byrne looks like he'll improve us - if I was the religious sort I'd start praying for him now.

I know not everything is perfect for other managers, and they all have their own problems to contend with but bloody hell, Cocu has had the carpet pulled out from under him so many times already it's bordering on the ridiculous, no, it's gone past the ridiculous.

Every time we look like getting our poo together something else happens -  and it IS more poo, both on and off the pitch than any other manager I can think of, at any club has had to put up with.  Not just little things here and there any manager should be able to cope with, things fundamental to the entire plan.

When the reset button has been forcibly pushed and held down every 3-4 months then of course we'll look like we're starting from scratch again, with the squad available at present we are!

And that's a fair argument and it's that line of thought that means I keep the faith. 

But the football is crap. It is negative. We lose more than we win. We concede more than we score. Whether we play Scunthorpe or Cardiff we always look like we're facing a side that can match us stride for stride. We face teams that can't afford the players in our starting line up. Teams who's record transfers and wage budgets are half ours or less. And we still can't think of a way to open them up while they figure ways to create sometimes multiple great chances.

And that's where bit by bit my faith slips and is slipping. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

And that's a fair argument and it's that line of thought that means I keep the faith. 

But the football is crap. It is negative. We lose more than we win. We concede more than we score. Whether we play Scunthorpe or Cardiff we always look like we're facing a side that can match us stride for stride. We face teams that can't afford the players in our starting line up. Teams who's record transfers and wage budgets are half ours or less. And we still can't think of a way to open them up while they figure ways to create sometimes multiple great chances.

And that's where bit by bit my faith slips and is slipping. 

Did you think the second half was better? I thought we looked much more threatening, because we were actually using width. Jozwiak got round the fullbacks multiple times, and Byrne was an amazing attacking option. In general, I've shared your view that we look so easy to defend against, but today swayed my opinion a bit, I saw a much more threatening Derby. 

I’m definitely glass half full after a few hours to calm down from the annoyance. Best performance this season (yes, I know). Bryne looks an absolute steal of a signing. Joswiak did well just days after arriving. Jason Knight and Byrne looked a strong combination. Wisdom is good back up for MTW and Clarke at centre back. Holmes back in training on Monday. Jamal H-I fit again and in contention. Waghorn, Lawrence and Bielik another week closer. Transfer window another week closer (which means availability of players for loan signings become clear cut) 

it all just feels like we missed a proper pre-season with our new signings included. 

and if you get depressed - keep looking as those under 23 performances...one day Rodney...

Don’t know how anyone can say we’ve played badly today, yes a few errors which unfortunately we conceded from but we deserved at least a point today, Luton were very lucky to win that game! Once we get a couple of more signings in and players back to fitness we will be a big threat!

Archived