Luton v Derby Match Thread

Boycie

7 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

This is the key bit for me it will never cease to amaze how often players will just be static and essentially mark themselves out of the game. We have a few culprits for this in the side and it's often why the ball is going backwards/sideways. Go back and watch some of the footage recently and look for when the likes of Bird, a centre back or full back have the ball look up and essentially their are options are: easy option backwards/sideways, pass to player on his heels closely marked, risky ball forwards that needs pinpoint accuracy or pump into the channels. There is a distinct lack sometimes of a player trying to get into space to give a passing option even if the ball doesn't go to them. It's the foundation on which you build a possession side. A large reason we improved on saturday was the tactical shift in midfield made it easier to move the ball quickly and open passing lanes.

Definitely. I do suspect some feel they're not suited to receiving the ball with their back to play - Marriott certainly fits into this category, as he wants the ball in behind instead & think Knight might feel similar (particularly when's he playing out of position on the wing).

Optimistic this will improve though with the prospective signings we're looking at. The right centre forward will help as midfielders are able to play off him facing forward, as will increased attacking options as genuine wingers (and players with pace) move around with confidence & drag defences all over the place. 

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Definitely. I do suspect some feel they're not suited to receiving the ball with their back to play - Marriott certainly fits into this category, as he wants the ball in behind instead & think Knight might feel similar (particularly when's he playing out of position on the wing).

Optimistic this will improve though with the prospective signings we're looking at. The right centre forward will help as midfielders are able to play off him facing forward, as will increased attacking options as genuine wingers (and players with pace) move around with confidence & drag defences all over the place. 

Mariott, Knight and Shinnie were the biggest culprits against Luton for it. Knight I cut a bit of slack because he's out of position and I thought  was more comfortable on the right. Mariott I feel is in this weird space were he doesn't drop into space enough and when he does either spin in behind/into the channels he isn't actually quick enough or strong enough to really trouble defences. I've seen plenty of calls of "we need to spin it in behind for Mariott" but honestly when we do it, teams seem to snuff it without much issue. Waghorn provides a lot more in that regard.

You are right though the right striker will make a huge difference.

There wasn’t a lot wrong with the passing in the second half. It was quick and positive.
By way of contrast, in the first half the defenders were hitting a lot of long balls out from the back, frequently mis-directed.  clarke, wisdom and forsyth were all at it. 

for 20 minutes at the start of the second half we played well, and deservedly got an equaliser. But we dozed off for their winner. Despite the protestations, our sub didn’t look ready to come on.
Luton deserve some credit. They had to defend for long periods, but when they got the chance to attack they created a few good chances. 

wisdom looked much better at centre back. We had a better balance in the attacking midfield. We deserved a point. 

Archived