Lee Gregory

GrimsbyRam

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not sure judging him on his Stoke stats is wise considering most of us would take Tim Ince back in a second. 

Lee Gregory's career best in the Championship is 10. Half of his career he's played in the conference. Tom Ince is not only younger, but also on 4 separate seasons scored more than 10 Championship goals, despite being a winger not a striker. Just incomparable.

40 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

31, doesn't score many goals, no resale value. 

Sounds just right. Get in there before Rowett. 

If he comes I will back him and think there mustbe a reason behind the coaching team wanting him ie press from the front, high press, work rate, selfless play

However in my opinion stoke have probably told Gregory his playing time will be limited next season with fletcher coming in and vokes still there and Afobe back fit and his agent has simply thrown our name into the press as we had a sniff for him a couple of seasons ago to try and drum up some potential interest.

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I really hope this isn’t true. Jesus Christ. It should be common sense for a team in our position not to sign such non-progressive players. Gregory is more suited to being a bricklayer than footballer. 

But that seems to be our way.

Nick Blackman and Olsson, Leon Best, Nugent, Jerome.

Just a few examples of signings that were never likely to help us progress, but I bet they cost the club the best part of 15 million pounds in fees and wages.

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Just a few examples of signings that were never likely to help us progress, but I bet they cost the club the best part of 15 million pounds in fees and wages.

Steve Howard.

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Thought these three were pretty good value for 3.5 million compared to some of the crap we signed.  Nugent was given a contract a year too long .  Olson was unfortunate with injury in his last year, and was not a superstar by any means but he could play and was quick. I would have been happy for Jerome to have spent the last 18 months here, He's someone we needed- a unit that has some pace as an option in games such as Cardiff and Forest where more physicality is required. In fact were still looking to replace him and unit with pace isn't something found cheap.

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

We have no idea who we’re genuinely after. This is newspaper/Internet talk.

MTW was out of nowhere. 

Im sure our coaching staff will know players. 

That’s my point. And I’m happy for the players we (hopefully) sign to be names we’ve not heard about for weeks before. But our recruitment team will have been looking at some of the players we’re linked with in the press, and the fact that Gregory’s name has come up again should tell us that we have looked up. It’s not all just made up tosh, although admittedly some will be

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No. Cos if he cost 6p to sign we should still up our offer to Martin! FFS some of the names being bandied about are gruesome.

Not if Martin has been offered £20k a week and we could get Gregory for £5k a week.

Not saying these are the correct figures, just using as an example.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think it's safe to assume that re-signing an existing player is cheaper than buying one from another club in the same division. 

Depends if Stoke are wanting to cash in on him or just want him off the wage bill...just the same situation as Martin really.

47 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thought these three were pretty good value for 3.5 million compared to some of the crap we signed.  Nugent was given a contract a year too long .  Olson was unfortunate with injury in his last year, and was not a superstar by any means but he could play and was quick. I would have been happy for Jerome to have spent the last 18 months here, He's someone we needed- a unit that has some pace as an option in games such as Cardiff and Forest where more physicality is required. In fact were still looking to replace him and unit with pace isn't something found cheap.

Your not wrong and no doubt Lee Gregory would come in, score the odd goal, put in 100% effort and we would be happy with his contribution, but he wont propel us to the next level.

All those 3 players you mention did a job, Nugent more so (I actually really like Nuge), but not of those players were really what we wanted/needed at the time.

Archived