Lee Gregory

GrimsbyRam

4 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I'll be the first one to go fully against the grain.

Sign him up, he's exactly what we need!

He has been extremely handy and proper nuisance to defenders every single time I've seen him play. If we sign him, at least we would have a striker who'd be the first line of defence. That we haven't seen in ages. Maybe he wouldn't score as Martin, but as a team we wouldn't need to.

The thought of having Gregory and Sibbo pressing the opposition in their half excites me bit too much to be honest (supported by Waggy and Knight from the wings...jeez, that'd be lovely sight!)

To be a team that is hard to beat starts from a hard-working striker. About time we would be one of those.

I mean doesn't that pretty much exactly describe Waghorn as a player? And Waghorn has a better goal record.

I just don't see how Gregory improves the squad and if he's not improving the squad then he's in the way of younger players.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dimmu said:

He has been extremely handy and proper nuisance to defenders every single time I've seen him play. If we sign him, at least we would have a striker who'd be the first line of defence. That we haven't seen in ages. Maybe he wouldn't score as Martin, but as a team we wouldn't need to.

The thought of having Gregory and Sibbo pressing the opposition in their half excites me bit too much to be honest (supported by Waggy and Knight from the wings...jeez, that'd be lovely sight!)

To be a team that is hard to beat starts from a hard-working striker. About time we would be one of those.

Whilst not against the signing, I havent seen anything in the first season that would make me think Cocu would want us as a high pressing team defending from the front.

16 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

You have named 2 players there out of about 50 signed since the 2013 - 14 season. 

Any- 4 million then release 

B Johnson 6 million then release

Butterfield 5 million then release

Blackman 3.5 million then release 

Olson - just under million then release 

Camera 1.25 million then release 

Waghorn 8 million and has 1 year left so he could yet walk. 

Waghorn will probably not fetch a profit now but I'll leave him out. That's a handful of players and that is 20 million with no return. And people wonder why we sale so closely to ffp. Didn't Mel say at one fan forum if you buy a player and they get released it looks the worst on ffp form and that's why we had to extend contracts. Never mind the fees paid and then you have the wages it is even worse. We need to get away from buying players for the sake of it and buy players to make the team better but also have one eye on getting more money for them. This is why the scouting team needs a good looking at. I'd be surprised if we scouted past the UK border tbh. I would be getting cocu if he really is the guy Mel sees as the long term for Derby and I'm talking 4 years or more to go and get his own scouting team or at least a few to add who know the player calibres in the foreign leagues. 

If we really sign this guy I have to question what way we really want to go as when he came in we were going in a different direction of buying younger players who we can improve while also using our amazing academy. I would rather sign noone and give jhi the slot instead of wasting wages on Gregory. Not saying he's tosh bit his wages will be high which will be a waste and for an average striker who martin scored more than in less games and by quite a few too I'd rather we either give Martin the 2 year contract or see if Hector ingdam can grab his chance 

Why do we keep putting Waghorn as 8 million???????

Its 25 million!!!!

11 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I mean doesn't that pretty much exactly describe Waghorn as a player? And Waghorn has a better goal record.

I just don't see how Gregory improves the squad and if he's not improving the squad then he's in the way of younger players.

Both work hard, but are very different otherwise.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Whilst not against the signing, I havent seen anything in the first season that would make me think Cocu would want us as a high pressing team defending from the front.

Me neither.  At least when Waghorn has played we at least have pressed a little bit, although very carefully. I'm hoping his decision is affected not having players for it, but I assume your right. That's a part I'm not a fan in Cocu's style.

We need a couple of strikers, young players dip in and out of form. We need to be realistic on who we can sign as we don’t have a lot to spend, Gregory is in the pool of players that are in our price range at the moment we need to see what is for sale in Aldi and give Waitrose a miss for the moment. 

lets not push the kids in until they are ready, I trust CoCu he knows what he is doing 

18 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I'd agree that I always thought Gregory looked pretty useful at Millwall. He's been utter pants at Stoke though and, although that's true of many players who wind up at Stoke, I can't shake the feeling that we'd be signing another player, several years too late, who's now on the way down in terms of their career trajectory. There's also little point in investing in a player like Gregory unless we also plan in buying some wingers who can put a decent cross into the box.

54 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'd agree that I always thought Gregory looked pretty useful at Millwall. He's been utter pants at Stoke though and, although that's true of many players who wind up at Stoke, I can't shake the feeling that we'd be signing another player, several years too late, who's now on the way down in terms of their career trajectory. There's also little point in investing in a player like Gregory unless we also plan in buying some wingers who can put a decent cross into the box.

Stoke have about 8 centre forwards so it’s no wonder they never seem to do well in minutes on the pitch or scoring goals 

I’d rather stick with Marriott if he’s fit. All these old strikers we’re linked with haven’t scored as much as waghorn last couple of seasons. I honestly believe cocu will stick with Marriott , waghorn and ingrim upfront ?‍♂️ Priority is a winger and keeper for me. And maybe a CB. Even tho I think we have some decent cb’s at the club 

On 16/08/2020 at 18:50, MackworthRamIsGod said:

But that seems to be our way.

Nick Blackman and Olsson, Leon Best, Nugent, Jerome.

Just a few examples of signings that were never likely to help us progress, but I bet they cost the club the best part of 15 million pounds in fees and wages.

Shockingly, and gut-wrenchingly true. 

7 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Both work hard, but are very different otherwise.

My point was everything you described, describes Waghorn and Waghorn in my view looks the better player. 

Signings we make should always fall in 1 of 2 categories:

1) Improves the squad 

2) Will likely improve the squad given time to develop 

I don't really see how Gregory fits either and would smack to me of a signing to make up the numbers.

19 hours ago, brady1993 said:

My point was everything you described, describes Waghorn and Waghorn in my view looks the better player. 

Signings we make should always fall in 1 of 2 categories:

1) Improves the squad 

2) Will likely improve the squad given time to develop 

I don't really see how Gregory fits either and would smack to me of a signing to make up the numbers.

Here’s the thing , there is a place for make up the numbers signings,our problem has been spending top dollar on players who then become make up the numbers players , if we are looking to change that with signings like Gregory and marshal then perhaps no bad thing?

I'm going to make the bold assumption there's nothing in this. Seems to be a change in the information getting out from our last couple of transfers. We hear about it, then it's done within 48 hours at the most. 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

I'm going to make the bold assumption there's nothing in this. Seems to be a change in the information getting out from our last couple of transfers. We hear about it, then it's done within 48 hours at the most. 

Agreed. And the Marshall transfer didn’t slip from our end but Wigan’s. We didn’t hear anything about Mitchell-Lawson before he left. 

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Here’s the thing , there is a place for make up the numbers signings,our problem has been spending top dollar on players who then become make up the numbers players , if we are looking to change that with signings like Gregory and marshal then perhaps no bad thing?

But isn't it the exact thing we shouldn't be doing when we are trying to leave a door open to the u23s ? 

Our problem up front isn't numbers as such, it's we could do with a injection of quality. I just don't see the point in signing a 3rd choice striker who's 31. 

Archived