Lee Gregory

GrimsbyRam

19 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You are absolutely right, beating Brighton was 12 months previous, apologies.

But, I wanted to make these signings when Clement was in charge. I still have no doubt Dunk and Stephen's would have been more than happy to sign for us.

I'm not sure that's something we'll ever know - I very much doubt that we'd have spent £20m on 2 players at that point - We spent about £11m up until Hughes and Bryson got injured (and I still maintain we wouldn't have signed either Bradders or Butterfield had it not been for losing both of them) 

That plus we had Keogh, Bucko, Shotton, Pearce and Shackell at that point (memory failing but I think that was it) so whilst Dunk would have been an upgrade (as we now know) I think spending £10m to upgrade an already decent championship defence would have been a waste when we had other areas which needed focus

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You are absolutely right, beating Brighton was 12 months previous, apologies.

But, I wanted to make these signings when Clement was in charge. I still have no doubt Dunk and Stephen's would have been more than happy to sign for us.

Maclaren was after dunk though after that play off final 

Think people seem to forget that a team of ‘nobodies’ at the time nearly took us up in 2013/14 under Mac. 

I think when you have players who have something to prove and want a promotion on their CV they want it more. 

Desire is what gets you out of this league. The hunger go again 2x a week and the willingness to fight. You can play all the nice football you want in this division but if you aren’t up for the fight then you’ve got no chance.

Thats why I would never turn my nose up at signings for cheap who have yet to prove themselves. 

That doesn’t mean I want Gregory to come badly, I just mean we shouldn’t laugh at unproven players. Getting in forwards with score 15 goals at this level regularly isn’t what we can afford. We need to be looking for hidden gems.

I'll be the first one to go fully against the grain.

Sign him up, he's exactly what we need!

He has been extremely handy and proper nuisance to defenders every single time I've seen him play. If we sign him, at least we would have a striker who'd be the first line of defence. That we haven't seen in ages. Maybe he wouldn't score as Martin, but as a team we wouldn't need to.

The thought of having Gregory and Sibbo pressing the opposition in their half excites me bit too much to be honest (supported by Waggy and Knight from the wings...jeez, that'd be lovely sight!)

To be a team that is hard to beat starts from a hard-working striker. About time we would be one of those.

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I'll be the first one to go fully against the grain.

Sign him up, he's exactly what we need!

He has been extremely handy and proper nuisance to defenders every single time I've seen him play. If we sign him, at least we would have a striker who'd be the first line of defence. That we haven't seen in ages. Maybe he wouldn't score as Martin, but as a team we wouldn't need to.

The thought of having Gregory and Sibbo pressing the opposition in their half excites me bit too much to be honest (supported by Waggy and Knight from the wings...jeez, that'd be lovely sight!)

To be a team that is hard to beat starts from a hard-working striker. About time we would be one of those.

There's a man who understands football and the current situation of the club.

I will put my head on the block and say potentially signing Gregory for a small fee is what the club should be doing. Or we could have chucked millions at someone like Toney, who looks a decent player, but we have to cut our cloth and I feel we need to embrace this and understand this as a fanbase or we will see cracks forming in our relationship with the club and the way they are trying to do things.

On 16/08/2020 at 18:41, Ambitious said:

I really hope this isn’t true. Jesus Christ. It should be common sense for a team in our position not to sign such non-progressive players. Gregory is more suited to being a bricklayer than footballer. 

Maybe we should sign him, so he can build a wall in front of Roos goal.

21 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr Martin had two promotions "On his return to Norwich, he was an important first team player as the club recorded successive promotions from League One and the Championship in the 2009–10 and 2010–11 seasons."

Yep and he and Jake were not 31 when we signed them

I personally think its all media talk, the priority for the club will be a keeper, securing another season loan for Matt Clarke or signing another CB either loan or buy. A right sided winger, if there's any money left in the pot. We do have Hector-Ingram, Waghorn, Marriott, Whittaker and Mason Bennett on our books (all strikers).

I just hope that most of the names mentioned are just paper talk including Gregory.

I think when you see lots of names banded about then see them one by one go to other clubs it gives a negative impression that we are missing our targets when in fact we may well have not been in for any of them.( I hope not in most cases )

really do think this EFL thing hanging over us is a hindrance to us trying to get players though , its scandolous how long this is going on for......hope Cocu has some proper good players just waiting to sign up once the hearing result is announced 

Archived