LouiE Sibley

Derbados

21 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I see him scoring 20 plus & assisting a fair few also. He's such a talent that we arguably need a front man who is first & foremost able to suit our style rather than be able to score plenty. With Sibley, Lawrence and a class right winger behind a selfless & mobile front man, we could score plenty enough to go up (a Troy Deeney type forward would be absolutely bang on).

Just love his directness & positivity - our post-lockdown season would have looked very different without him. He is proper Derby too - the yokels up here have cottoned onto his mock clapping on Sunday & are still complaining. Good lad ?

@Ambitious I wouldn't take that swap with Mount (much though I rate him) - Sibley is 3 years younger so is much earlier on in his development curve. Wilson is probably the closer equivalent in terms of the goals/assists contribution Louie is capable of but he doesn't have Sibley's tenacity/presence to influence general play. He is that special.

His speed of thought is impressive. Also an indicator of real class.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He takes people on, drives forward and shoots.

thats why we go to watch footy. 

Every time Sibley’s on the ball I’m on the edge of my seat. It’s a very rare talent, something neither Mount nor Wilson had. He’s not quite at the level overall those two were at last season, but he sure is a truly fantastic player to watch. 

8 hours ago, sage said:

Has he still got that restraining order against you Angie?

Hey, watch it, you - I view all the young players as I do my great nephews and nieces - I just love to encourage and support them to live their best lives. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Hey, watch it, you - I view all the young players as I do my great nephews and nieces - I just love to encourage and support them to live their best lives. 

Angie. That defence didn't cut it with the judge and it won't fool me either. 

7 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I suspect that's why Waghorn up front  is favoured in a lot of games. Especially against teams that aggressively press.

Sibley vs Mount is tricky but the fact that's it's even a debate speaks absolute volumes. What I will see is Mount never put in a performance like Sibley vs Millwall which I still stand by as being easily the best performance from a Derby player in recent memory.

Waghorn would actually be great for the role full time if his touch & vision were better - he's got all the other physical attributes. Interesting to see if your previous suggestion of Marriott being converted to that type of forward is seriously contemplated - cracking weight of pass for the second last night & he added much more dynamism to the forward line.

Very difficult to disagree about Sibley vs Millwall - he could have easily walked away with 4/5 goals that day but what struck me was that it looked so easy for him. Scary.

On 23/07/2020 at 21:58, LeedsCityRam said:

Waghorn would actually be great for the role full time if his touch & vision were better - he's got all the other physical attributes. Interesting to see if your previous suggestion of Marriott being converted to that type of forward is seriously contemplated - cracking weight of pass for the second last night & he added much more dynamism to the forward line.

Very difficult to disagree about Sibley vs Millwall - he could have easily walked away with 4/5 goals that day but what struck me was that it looked so easy for him. Scary.

I do think Mariott might have the raw attributes he has a good touch, he actually can pick a pass, he's quick and he's not a waif. But it is a different role than what he's used to and we can't really play with a pure poacher.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I do think Mariott might have the raw attributes he has a good touch, he actually can pick a pass, he's quick and he's not a waif. But it is a different role than what he's used to and we can't really play with a pure poacher.

He's definitely capable although he may need to strengthen up slightly - he did get dominated by some centre halves this season (seem to remember the Charlton CBs pushing him around in late Dec) & could do with turning them into free kicks a la Martin. My main issue is his mindset - its common knowledge he wasn't happy after being denied a Jan transfer window move to Bournemouth last year & that reaction & poor attitude to training souring his relationship with Lampard...to such an extent, I believe, that Lampard didn't pick him to start at Wembley when conventional wisdom was that he deserved it after the Elland Road massacre.

Cocu has tried him out but a combination of poor form & constant niggly injuries hasn't helped. Marriott surely must look at this team now & think there is a space for him and a promotion there if he gets his head down & takes on board what the coaching staff are telling him. Here's hoping.

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

He's definitely capable although he may need to strengthen up slightly - he did get dominated by some centre halves this season (seem to remember the Charlton CBs pushing him around in late Dec) & could do with turning them into free kicks a la Martin. My main issue is his mindset - its common knowledge he wasn't happy after being denied a Jan transfer window move to Bournemouth last year & that reaction & poor attitude to training souring his relationship with Lampard...to such an extent, I believe, that Lampard didn't pick him to start at Wembley when conventional wisdom was that he deserved it after the Elland Road massacre.

Cocu has tried him out but a combination of poor form & constant niggly injuries hasn't helped. Marriott surely must look at this team now & think there is a space for him and a promotion there if he gets his head down & takes on board what the coaching staff are telling him. Here's hoping.

Was he denied a move to Bournemouth. I heard that in passing , nothing more. Most of this is hearsay for me.  At the time it was certainly true he picked Derby because of Lampard being a Chelsea fan and he was doing well and we were doing pretty well as I recall.  

27 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Was he denied a move to Bournemouth. I heard that in passing , nothing more. Most of this is hearsay for me.  At the time it was certainly true he picked Derby because of Lampard being a Chelsea fan and he was doing well and we were doing pretty well as I recall.  

Nothing I can quote from a news outlet sadly but yeah, heard it from a few sources & its been repeated on here a few times. It also conveniently tallies with his deteriorating form after Christmas 2018 (he had been electric from Oct-Dec 2018 particularly in the cups - his 7 league goals for us in 18/19 were all in that period too).

What disappoints me the most with him is that MacAnthony (the Peterboro owner) made a great play of how dedicated Marriott was as a player but he hasn't looked like that with us - Rooney's lambast of him in his very first match for us vs Barnsley sums that up I think.

32 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Normally I tend to brush off rumours around attitude and I've never seen anything from him when he's played to suggest he's not trying. With that said Lampard made several particularly pointed comments seemingly in his direction that are hard to ignore. I hadn't heard about the Bournemouth stuff to be honest.

Personally I do hope he manages to pull it round going into next season. 

17 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Literally the first time I’ve heard that 

On 23/07/2020 at 22:22, spondon_ram said:

What a talent! Scoring showstopping goals in open play, aggressive and hungry. Harry Wilson would have needed a free kick to do score the way sibley did against Birmingham! Has a beast of a left foot. Can't wait to watch his development. 

I really really love that goal against Brum, I’m struggling to think of many others in the squad that could score that. Combination of pace, power, accuracy and a lack of back lift, i.e. seemed like he just wellied it top corner without a run up, without even really thinking about it.

lovely stuff 

50 minutes ago, Taribo said:

I really really love that goal against Brum, I’m struggling to think of many others in the squad that could score that. Combination of pace, power, accuracy and a lack of back lift, i.e. seemed like he just wellied it top corner without a run up, without even really thinking about it.

lovely stuff 

Yes a great strike and rolled perfectly into his stride by Whittaker a “ proper assist “ .

Good team play by the 2 youngsters 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived