LouiE Sibley

Derbados

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

How about we dont build the guy up and heap loads of pressure on him, just let him develop naturally and see where it takes him?

Less than 10 games into his career and we are already saying he is crucial to our team, he will play at the top level, so on and so forth.

Of course he looks good but let's not fall into the same trap that we have so many times before.

No further comments were needed in this thread after this  !!

Sums it up perfectly !

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Max Bird alluded to the fact he reads forum pages like this. 

So, Louis, you've done okay, but plenty of players don't make it even if they have good starts like you. Don't let it all get to your head. In saying that, what a goal my son! and don't listen to Max, he supports United the scumbag. 

36 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I get why we're excited, but personally I hate piling pressure on young players, even in places they can't see what we say like here. Just sets you up for disappointment when the variables come into play and it doesn't happen.

Remember all those exciting young players we had between 2013-15? I remember people boldly claiming that Hughes, Thorne, Bamford and Ibe would be in the squad in the 2018 World Cup.

The worst of the lot - Lingard - is the only one who did and was instrumental as part of the first England side to reach a WC semi in nearly thirty years.

Sibley revels in the attention. Pressure doesn't exist in Sibley's world

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

I get why we're excited, but personally I hate piling pressure on young players, even in places they can't see what we say like here. Just sets you up for disappointment when the variables come into play and it doesn't happen.

Remember all those exciting young players we had between 2013-15? I remember people boldly claiming that Hughes, Thorne, Bamford and Ibe would be in the squad in the 2018 World Cup.

The worst of the lot - Lingard - is the only one who did and was instrumental as part of the first England side to reach a WC semi in nearly thirty years.

You're forgetting Mark O'Brien, Miles Addison, Lewin Nyatanga, Callum Ball, Offrande Zanzala and Timi Max Elsnik...all who were potential Ballon D'or winners after their first 2 appearances!

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sibley revels in the attention. Pressure doesn't exist in Sibley's world

This. I think he loves the pressure, he loves Derby and I am so happy for him. 

I remember watching him play for  England against Brazil, played out of position but determined to put his mark on the game. Such an exciting prospect even then.

He's such a great young man as well. Sense of humour, you get the impression he doesn't take himself too seriously but he takes his football very, very seriously indeed. 

Just what Derby County needs and I hope we can ride to glory on the wings of Sibley and his young companions. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

This. I think he loves the pressure, he loves Derby and I am so happy for him. 

I remember watching him play for  England against Brazil, played out of position but determined to put his mark on the game. Such an exciting prospect even then.

He's such a great young man as well. Sense of humour, you get the impression he doesn't take himself too seriously but he takes his football very, very seriously indeed. 

Just what Derby County needs and I hope we can ride to glory on the wings of Sibley and his young companions. 

Has he still got that restraining order against you Angie?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're forgetting Mark O'Brien, Miles Addison, Lewin Nyatanga, Callum Ball, Offrande Zanzala and Timi Max Elsnik...all who were potential Ballon D'or winners after their first 2 appearances!

I do agree with your view on this. 

I do think Sibely and Bird might actually have something about them to at least stick around at this level if not go higher. 

I thought some of the above were rated on impact over how they might develop as players. Like O'Brien, I thought he was a bit of a head and kick player who was quite sluggish off the spot. He made an impact with his aggression but I wasn't surprised he dropped off because ultimately there was nothing special about him as an individual. Same as Jamie Hanson. Came roaring like a lion with some tidy passing but the hype was mostly based on him being full of hunger and being able to pass at Championship speed/level. Ultimately he was only as good as the 30 year old journeyman that we overlook. Tidy and busy. 

With Hughes you could see straight away. He was nailing passes that were up there with the best in our team. We had experienced players that didn't have the composure and quick feet (or foot in Hughes case) to make the little plays that Hughes was making. Half of them wouldn't even have seen the options he took. He stood out instantly 

I would put Sibely into that Hughes category. Possibly Bird but he's just dropped off to pedestrian levels lately. 

But Sibely has that sharpness, that touch and balance and decisiveness that we haven't seen probably since Mason Mount. His awareness is quite unusual for someone so inexperienced. Says to me that he's a natural at all this and all the basics of a fine Championship player are already there. 

Now it's just can he be consistent. Can he get even more of the ball. Can he handle being center stage. Can he stay injury free. Finally, can he do it against the best. 

There's definitely something more to him than the brute like impact of Addison and Co. That "injection of youth" isn't what Sibely brings imo. He's just better than most our attacking midfielders, wingers and maybe a striker or two. 

Most exciting since Hughes and Hendrick. 

14 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I see him scoring 20 plus & assisting a fair few also. He's such a talent that we arguably need a front man who is first & foremost able to suit our style rather than be able to score plenty. With Sibley, Lawrence and a class right winger behind a selfless & mobile front man, we could score plenty enough to go up (a Troy Deeney type forward would be absolutely bang on).

Just love his directness & positivity - our post-lockdown season would have looked very different without him. He is proper Derby too - the yokels up here have cottoned onto his mock clapping on Sunday & are still complaining. Good lad ?

@Ambitious I wouldn't take that swap with Mount (much though I rate him) - Sibley is 3 years younger so is much earlier on in his development curve. Wilson is probably the closer equivalent in terms of the goals/assists contribution Louie is capable of but he doesn't have Sibley's tenacity/presence to influence general play. He is that special.

I suspect that's why Waghorn up front  is favoured in a lot of games. Especially against teams that aggressively press.

Sibley vs Mount is tricky but the fact that's it's even a debate speaks absolute volumes. What I will see is Mount never put in a performance like Sibley vs Millwall which I still stand by as being easily the best performance from a Derby player in recent memory.

18 hours ago, Ambitious said:

If Chelsea offered to swap Mount for Sibley, how many people would take that swap? 

Mount is the player I've seen in the past two decades at this club with the highest ceiling. I would say it was Thorne, but we all know what happened there, but Sibley just continues to do what he did in the U18 league now in the Championship. 

Mason who ? Louie is the future , a star in the making

4 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I suspect that's why Waghorn up front  is favoured in a lot of games. Especially against teams that aggressively press.

Sibley vs Mount is tricky but the fact that's it's even a debate speaks absolute volumes. What I will see is Mount never put in a performance like Sibley vs Millwall which I still stand by as being easily the best performance from a Derby player in recent memory.

Ah come on. His performances against Rotherham and Leeds towards the end of the season were as good as Sibley's. 

Sibley is special, though. And I wouldn't swap him for Mount. 

11 hours ago, Duracell said:

I’d have had Thorne at 2014!

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

I do agree with your view on this. 

I do think Sibely and Bird might actually have something about them to at least stick around at this level if not go higher. 

I thought some of the above were rated on impact over how they might develop as players. Like O'Brien, I thought he was a bit of a head and kick player who was quite sluggish off the spot. He made an impact with his aggression but I wasn't surprised he dropped off because ultimately there was nothing special about him as an individual. Same as Jamie Hanson. Came roaring like a lion with some tidy passing but the hype was mostly based on him being full of hunger and being able to pass at Championship speed/level. Ultimately he was only as good as the 30 year old journeyman that we overlook. Tidy and busy. 

With Hughes you could see straight away. He was nailing passes that were up there with the best in our team. We had experienced players that didn't have the composure and quick feet (or foot in Hughes case) to make the little plays that Hughes was making. Half of them wouldn't even have seen the options he took. He stood out instantly 

I would put Sibely into that Hughes category. Possibly Bird but he's just dropped off to pedestrian levels lately. 

But Sibely has that sharpness, that touch and balance and decisiveness that we haven't seen probably since Mason Mount. His awareness is quite unusual for someone so inexperienced. Says to me that he's a natural at all this and all the basics of a fine Championship player are already there. 

Now it's just can he be consistent. Can he get even more of the ball. Can he handle being center stage. Can he stay injury free. Finally, can he do it against the best. 

There's definitely something more to him than the brute like impact of Addison and Co. That "injection of youth" isn't what Sibely brings imo. He's just better than most our attacking midfielders, wingers and maybe a striker or two. 

Most exciting since Hughes and Hendrick. 

One thing I have noticed with Sibley is he knows where the goal is. I am not sure if he will score as regular as 1 in 2 but he certainly hits a worldly quite often and that’s why I would give him the edge on Hughes and Hendrick his goals will win us games. That’s how legends are made apart from Roy McFarland who was a defender but is a legend. Come to think of it Colin Todd didn’t score many either.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Ah come on. His performances against Rotherham and Leeds towards the end of the season were as good as Sibley's. 

I honestly don't think they were but each to their own.

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Mount had a season in the Dutch league before coming to Derby. I do think a good players rely on the team around them. I Sibley was with a premier league club I doubt they would loan him to us because I think he is at a higher level now.

Archived