Leeds United

Brammie Steve

Granted that Leeds United have a history that makes us cringe at the mention of their name we have to admit that they were a major influence for good or ill on later 20th century football.

It is surprising to think that they have been outside top level English football for 16 years.

We may not like them (I certainly don't!) but I congratulate them on their promotion.

Anyone else join me in saying

"Congratulations and hope we slaughter you on Sunday!"?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Granted that Leeds United have a history that makes us cringe at the mention of their name we have to admit that they were a major influence for good or ill on later 20th century football.

It is surprising to think that they have been outside top level English football for 16 years.

We may not like them (I certainly don't!) but I congratulate them on their promotion.

Anyone else join me in saying

"Congratulations and hope we slaughter you on Sunday!"?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think Bielsa has proved that you definitely dont need good players to make a plan work.

Who out of their regular starters is not good player? They may not have the embarrassment of riches Wolves had a couple of seasons back, but it's not like he's just got Barnsley promoted, is it? How many of ours would walk into their starting 11?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think Bielsa has proved that you definitely dont need good players to make a plan work.

He has. You just need a pair of binoculars and a spy. 

Horrible cheating ooh arrr look at me tractor scrotes. 

Hope they get back to back relegations and go back to where they really belong with the likes of Burton Albion.

Hmm, interesting!

Most of the positive comments seem to be coming from those who rememember the 'damned united' under Don Revie and are therefore prepared to judge the team on its present day merits.

I suppose it is not unlike the fact that whenever I tell anyone I am a Rams supporter I have to explain that Brian Clough no longer manages us......unfortunately!

(I am a fan of Mr Cocu by the way!)

It’s beginning. All the media up Leeds arse, all the headlines that ‘Leeds are back where they belong’. Eeeiuugghh! 

i can only hope they’ll get battered next season, foolishly sack bielsa by Christmas, and never recover. 

of all the poo 2020 has thrown at us, this is up there. Just waiting for forest to get promoted, and stoke and boro to be saved from the drop to really top the year off. 

wouldnt it be funny if the whole world decided to just strike 2020 from the record books, like Chris Benoit was stricken from the WWE records, like it never existed, and we all agree that next year is 2020 and this year never happened. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Who out of their regular starters is not good player? They may not have the embarrassment of riches Wolves had a couple of seasons back, but it's not like he's just got Barnsley promoted, is it? How many of ours would walk into their starting 11?

He talk a team that finished 13th in 2017/18 and they finished 3rd a season later having only added 3 regular starters, 1 of which was a useless goalkeeper who cost them numerous games.

How many of ours would walk into their team I dont know, I imagine he could take almost any of our players and get them to fit into his style of play.

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He talk a team that finished 13th in 2017/18 and they finished 3rd a season later having only added 3 regular starters, 1 of which was a useless goalkeeper who cost them numerous games.

How many of ours would walk into their team I dont know, I imagine he could take almost any of our players and get them to fit into his style of play.

Yeah but where's the evidence he's done all this without any good players? You've answered a question I haven't asked and avoided answering the one I have.

Let's put it a different way, of their starting 11, who are not good players?

What do you make of Costa, Douglass, Hernandez, Harrison, Philips and co? 

Think most would agree he's a top manager, but to say he's done it without good players is nonsense.

The media are going to need to give a history lesson to fans under the age of 30 about why Leeds are so massive and so deserve to be in the Premier League. Seem to be a plucky League 1 club who are on an upswing punching above their weight from where I'm sat...

Ideal swap for Bournemouth. 

Can see them starting badly next season only for the famous, intimidating, hostile Elland Road atmosphere to save them from relegation once fans can return.

They do deserve promotion though.

Part of me is glad they’ve been promoted. They’re the New Orleans Saints of English Football - they cry at every opportunity and their ‘woe is me’ routine quite frankly mind-numbing in the extreme. I would also say I will miss the two games against them next season, but football isn’t returning in the traditional sense - half capacity stadiums is about the best we can hope for until next year, so it’s not like we’re missing anything.

Bielsa will have his work cut out for himself next season so it will be interesting to see how he gets on. I’d imagine that they have the best chance of being ok out of all the teams promoted, but who knows. It’s a completely different league and their approach has been dominating lesser teams - they now won’t have that luxury. Good luck to ‘em. 

Of course I wish them nothing but pain and misery. 

Horrible club with a brilliant team and manager. I think they'll do alright next year. Bielsa in the Prem should be fun. 

Kinda hoping that WBA get the 2nd spot, as I think watching Brentford tear Forest apart in the Playoffs would be ideal. 

Archived