Leeds United

Brammie Steve

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wouldnt call it evidence but more of an opinion, my Leeds supporting mates (granted it's only 2) often say he gets the best out of average players.

No argument from me on that score. He's also improved a fair few good ones too.

For balance, Stevie Mac did at least as well when his only key signing was a journeyman on his last contract who cost £250k. Reckon that side cost 2 bob and a conker compared to Bielsa's*

*Bah humbug

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Costa was 1 of 2 big money signings he has made, along with Bamford, and was an obvious previous known quantity.

Costa was UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship Player of the Tournament in the team that got to the semis. He's a Portuguese international at every level from U16 to the senior team and his club record includes Benfica, Monaco, Deportivo and Championship winning Wolves. Pretty sure we were linked with him (under Lamps or am I having schizoid embolisms again?) and most on here we're in the same camp as me - hell yeah, but no way we can afford him so I'm pulling you on that one! 

*Disclaimer - I may have completely imagined the Costa link etc but I' sure he even had a thread. I'll try and find it when sober!

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Douglas has only made 14 appearances this season, so I thought you may have chosen a more regular left back to quote than him?

I mentioned him because he was another for whom I'm sure had a transfer thread on here. Again, I might be imagining it but I think the consensus was a) he'd cost too much and b) he'd got to... (thought it was Villa but guess it might have been Leeds?). Be honest now... You'd take him in a heartbeat no! Seem to recall not being alone in thinking a la Costa, yes please but he'll cost at least £6 or £7 mill so won't happen. As you yourself have pointed out, he's not even made their squad. 

Again, would you not spend £3 mill for him? Honestly?*

*Don't just be stubborn now!

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Pablo Hernandez was a roughly 1 goal in 10 games striker before playing for Bielsa, he is now roughly 1 in 3.5.

How many was Chrissie Martin getting before Eustace and 4:3:3. Did Mac give him his technical ability or deploy him in a way that allowed him to be the best he could be? 

Anyways, I'll stop there as I'm splitting hairs IAH. For clarity, Bielsa's a true coaching legend and I'm not denying that, just being a mardy twit really. I was jealous AF when they got him and I don't mind admitting it ?

Final note, nice to debate football instead of the usual. You're still wrong mind ?

Old dogs huh... 

Leeds have arguably been the best side in the division for two years running.

They deserve promotion and their moment in the sun.

It’ll be interesting to see how they get on next year and how they recruit.

Everyone going up will now take inspiration from what Sheffield United have done, so I’d be surprised if they took a hammer to their squad or changed how they played.

I think having Bielsa as the head coach will give them an edge other promoted teams may lack.

They need five good signings - a goalkeeper, two centre backs, a midfielder, and a striker - and I think they’ll be well placed to stay up.

The lower half of the Premier League is nothing special and outside of 7-8 clubs, they’ll fancy their chances of being competitive against anyone if they recruit well.

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Leeds have arguably been the best side in the division for two years running.

They deserve promotion and their moment in the sun.

It’ll be interesting to see how they get on next year and how they recruit.

Everyone going up will now take inspiration from what Sheffield United have done, so I’d be surprised if they took a hammer to their squad or changed how they played.

I think having Bielsa as the head coach will give them an edge other promoted teams may lack.

They need five good signings - a goalkeeper, two centre backs, a midfielder, and a striker - and I think they’ll be well placed to stay up.

The lower half of the Premier League is nothing special and outside of 7-8 clubs, they’ll fancy their chances of being competitive against anyone if they recruit well.

Ah, but is that where they "think they belong"?

I suspect you're right. They'll attract more global talent simply by having the "premier league" tag, but their supposed glory days are almost as ancient as us and Forest so global brand they ain't. 

I suspect at best a handful of seasons floating around the middle of the division,  a struggle and then relegation. 

I'd expect the same for us tbh.

But then I am a MoodHoover ?

If I could guarantee a scenario where we go up next year to join them, then I wouldn’t be against them not going down. Maybe it’s time to bring the 70s back. Us, Leeds and Forest all up in the top division, showing them how it’s done. 

just pisses me off they got their first (but then they have been out longer). 

Also, it pisses me off that all that great win last season is kind of for nought. Thank god their fans won’t be there today, I can just imagine them singing stop crying your heart out again, and they’re not crying now or whatever.

Football is fleeting I guess. QPR beat us, look at them now. We beat West Brom once, then look what happened. 

whats the point in it all really. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I suspect you're right. They'll attract more global talent simply by having the "premier league" tag, but their supposed glory days are almost as ancient as us and Forest so global brand they ain't. 

I suspect at best a handful of seasons floating around the middle of the division,  a struggle and then relegation. 

All depends on how long Bielsa stays for, and how well they prepare a succession plan. I think they’ll be comfortable for as long as he’s in charge. Whether it carries on that way after he leaves will depend on how well established they are and the quality of his replacement.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I am sure there are some Leeds fans not even thinking about a relegation fight. I am sure there are some Leeds fans thinking they might be able to finish in the top 10.

I really do hope they have the same delusions of grandeur as many Villa fans have had this season and we get to laugh as they struggle.

Honestly I am hoping they do a Villa and come straight back down but football has a way of letting you down, so I am bracing myself for them to do really well.

I don’t like them, their cheating manager or their mardy moany self entitled fans. I’ve disliked them since the Viduka, Kewell days, which reawakened my old loathing from the 70’s. 

I hope they get proper found out, call themselves rivals of Man U? Hahaha

oh, and the fact they’ve been promoted without the fans being in there to gloat makes it bearable 

I don't like Leeds United Football Club. I don't like their fans. I don't "like" their manager after the spy gate incident.

However, they are going up as champions with two games still to go because they have been points wise at least the best team in the league. I haven't seen any more of them than the game at their place, so don't know if they are the best footballing team in the division. As champions they deserve the applause from our players when they take to the field.

That said, and because of my dislike for them, how glad I am that they won't have any fans in the ground to celebrate and more than anything to gloat. They are going up, but in the worst season in history to be doing it as a fan. They won't be able to sing "stop crying", they won't be able to put their imaginary binoculars to their eyes. At least our fans were in THEIR stadium when we effed them over last season. Football is very fickle. Today you're a hero and tomorrow a zero, and vice versa. We had our moment against them, and even though they say that ultimately we didn't go up that defeat us probably still smarting despite the promotion.

Let's applaud their achievements this year, they as a team really do deserve that. Then we can get straight back down hating them and hoping that get stuffed every single week next season.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Saw that Mel left them a bottle of bubbly of a specific vintage by way of congratulations. Classy move combined with the guard of honour. Shame that Leeds as a club and fan base showed absolutely no class at any point over the weekend, which is exactly why I would have done none of the above had I been Mel.

Then you wouldn't have had the 'moral high ground'.

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Then you wouldn't have had the 'moral high ground'.

I've never claimed to have it or want it. They did their utmost to mug us off over the weekend, which they were obviously going to do because its Leeds. As a result I don't feel like we owed them or their achievements this seasons any degree of respect.

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I've never claimed to have it or want it. They did their utmost to mug us off over the weekend, which they were obviously going to do because its Leeds. As a result I don't feel like we owed them or their achievements this seasons any degree of respect.

Not 'you' but Mel. That is the point. They look like the classless scum they are and we have the moral high ground thanks to Mel.

13 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Personally I think it just makes us look soft in the face of some absolute nonsense. Some clubs are worth the benefit of the doubt, Leeds aren't one of them.

It's not about benefit of the doubt. Mel's an older fan, he'll remember all the L**ds poo. It's about being the bigger man. 

Archived