Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all surprised they have the penalty, but I am surprised they’ve decided it will apply next season. Can’t see Charlton and potentially Barnsley being happy with that (depending on the Wigan verdict). Make sense to some degree as there was talk about having enough time to make up the points being taken away. 

To be honest, I’m more concerned than ever that we’ll have some form of punishment. This one for Wednesday seems to be a case of ‘failed P&S but did so unknowingly’ - similar to us. I don’t think we exceeded limits too badly so we may be slightly lucky even in a worst case scenario. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not at all surprised they have the penalty, but I am surprised they’ve decided it will apply next season. Can’t see Charlton and potentially Barnsley being happy with that (depending on the Wigan verdict). Make sense to some degree as there was talk about having enough time to make up the points being taken away. 

To be honest, I’m more concerned than ever that we’ll have some form of punishment. This one for Wednesday seems to be a case of ‘failed P&S but did so unknowingly’ - similar to us. I don’t think we exceeded limits too badly so we may be slightly lucky even in a worst case scenario. 

Have we also been "wilfully concealing information " which seemed to be a further finding that wpuld not go down well.

59 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For me, selling the stadium and include it to wrong season's accounts sounds very much deliberate. At least we are not charged for that.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why next year and not this if Wigan is this year?

I think Wednesday can appeal and probably will, which will take it in to next season. Wigan’s is a guaranteed 12 points as they went in to administration. 

Ok so what Wednesday did was blatantly wrong ....

what did we do again??

sold an asset of the club to a willing buyer that paid a certified market rate (also after consultation and adjustment from the EFL themselves)

im amazed this is still actually a thing 

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Make sense to some degree as there was talk about having enough time to make up the points being taken away. 

Surely you can't expect a punishment to be meted out to suit a clubs individual circumstances?

Not for the first time the EFL are making idiots of themselves.

If you apply -12 points to Sheff Wed this season then they come bottom and Charlton stay up.  Why wouldn’t you do that given that the season doesn’t -according to the EFL - finish until the play off final is over and final positions are agreed? 

One answer for the conspiracy theorists, is that they dislike Charlton even more, because of their ownership issues.  

If Sheff Wed stay up next season despite the -12 start, as they could well do, what nonsense does that make of the league and its S and P rules.  Ditto for us.

The whole thing is a complete and utter mess, largely of the EFL's own making.  If Wigan win their case, or appeal it, it becomes even messier, at a time when there is only a few weeks between seasons. 

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How can they unknowingly extend their year end to include profits from the sale of their stadium?!

Interesting.

I note the EFL statement says that it's for putting the sale in the 2017/18 accounts.

Does anyone know how much they would have gone over the £39m limit without the sale? Without the written decision being published I'm guessing that the 12 point deduction is for that amount, as the sale was the only thing that stopped that happening in the first place.

From the EFL sliding scale included in the Birmingham decision from last March, 12 points with no deduction would be £15m+ over for the period 2015/16 - 2017/18.

I wonder, although they also said they had written permission from the EFL, whether that permission didn't specifically include putting the sale in that set of accounts, hence the guilty verdict. Their initial statement about the charges was quite vague on that compared to ours which set everything out.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

How can they unknowingly extend their year end to include profits from the sale of their stadium?!

Exactly, they did it to comply with FFP and in my opinion they know what they did.

I’ve not looked in to the details of their accounts but I’d bet that if you took the stadium sale out then their 3 year running losses would have breached FFP and they knew this so did whatever they could to fix it.

Seems what we did is exactly the same, but actually planned ahead and reported it correctly. 

1 minute ago, ilkleyram said:

Not for the first time the EFL are making idiots of themselves.

If you apply -12 points to Sheff Wed this season then they come bottom and Charlton stay up.  Why wouldn’t you do that given that the season doesn’t -according to the EFL - finish until the play off final is over and final positions are agreed? 

One answer for the conspiracy theorists, is that they dislike Charlton even more, because of their ownership issues.  

If Sheff Wed stay up next season despite the -12 start, as they could well do, what nonsense does that make of the league and its S and P rules.  Ditto for us.

The whole thing is a complete and utter mess, largely of the EFL's own making.  If Wigan win their case, or appeal it, it becomes even messier, at a time when there is only a few weeks between seasons. 

As much as I dislike the EFL, it would have been the Independent Disciplinary Commissions decision to put their points deduction onto next season. Although, without a written decision, we don't know what punishment the EFL asked for or what they asked the Commission to take into account.

Archived