Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I do think the EFL will appeal on both counts.

Not sure how far they'll get, but it does to an extent absolve the EFL of the claim they weren't trying to enforce the p&s rules (Gibson's original complaint).

I think this will rumble on a bit but I don't see any appeals swinging a complete reversal. Most likely they'll get some fig leaf of validity to the charges. Although the statement says dismissed rather than unproven or found not guilty of the charge.

There's no surprise it's been dismissed.

Stadium independently valued and sold according to the rules ✔️

EFL rules don't state which amortisation policies can be used or not used. ✔️

The only surprise is why it took 7 months to reach this decision since we were charged, on top of the 6(?) months of EFL investigation, after 1 year of the accounts being made public, so many months after the club submitted their projected P&S reports.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stadium independently valued and sold according to the rules ✔️

EFL rules don't state which amortisation policies can be used or not used. ✔️

The only surprise is why it took 7 months to reach this decision since we were charged, on top of the 6(?) months of EFL investigation, after 1 year of the accounts being made public, so many months after the club submitted their projected P&S reports.

Tribunals have a schedule; and I assume whoever they are they look at cases across all kinds of sport (I assume they're sport focused) - the 7 months was literally getting a hearing and nothing more. 

That reality is why its such a joke that they made these charges they surely knew they wouldn't make stick - its like a free soft-punishment they can dish out to any club at any time.

Got to be delighted with the result, even if not with the amount of time it took and how much mud has been slung our way!

How many months and how many thousands of pounds has it taken to get to the point where they've confirmed what even some of us thickos on here could see was glaringly obvious right from the start!?

Every single bit of research done and all the deductive logic pointed to this outcome.  so I can honestly say that I expected this result all along. It would have been an absolute travesty and a miscarriage of justice for us to have been found guilty.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I do think the EFL will appeal on both counts.

Not sure how far they'll get, but it does to an extent absolve the EFL of the claim they weren't trying to enforce the p&s rules (Gibson's original complaint).

I think this will rumble on a bit but I don't see any appeals swinging a complete reversal. Most likely they'll get some fig leaf of validity to the charges. Although the statement says dismissed rather than unproven or found not guilty of the charge.

Nah. Their stock is now at an all-time low. They'll shrivel up and quietly climb back under their rock and hope they're still in gainful employment when the dust settles. Were they to appeal, their mismanagement of the process would become common knowledge as per the Wendies case. If there were any danger of further action, I think they'd have insisted on the soft-embargo remaining in place pending the outcome of the appeal. I could be wrong of course, but I suspect that this whole sorry episode is now well and truly over and rightly so IMO.

The club statement says that we will be making no further comment - classy to the last - but were the EFL to continue their baseless and vindictive attack on the club, I could see Mel and our legal team going after them hammer and tongs, especially in the light of the soft-embargo imposed before the outcome of the investigation. Flagrant and unlawful restriction of trade right there. As it is, they took on Mel and he's absolutely rinsed them. I'd say a vote of no confidence to follow would be a more likely scenario than any appeal.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stadium independently valued, advance approval sought from the EFL and the price adjusted in accordance with their wishes, and sold according to the rules ✔️

EFL rules don't state which amortisation policies can be used or not used, as long as they comply with FRS 102 which constitutes "generally accepted accounting practice" in the UK. ✔️

Absolutely agree with you @Ghost of Clough but thought I would add the bold bits to reinforce your point even further.

I don't see the EFL appealing this. They have already embarrassed themselves and will now want this to fade into history as quickly as possible.

3 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Absolutely agree with you @Ghost of Clough but thought I would add the bold bits to reinforce your point even further.

I don't see the EFL appealing this. They have already embarrassed themselves and will now want this to fade into history as quickly as possible.

Could be correct. They may hide it under the 'we've got the Covid 19 crisis to worry about now' stone

Anyway, have the EFL got any money left ? 

Archived