Derby County Vs Brentford matchday thread.

Rev

Just now, Barney1991 said:

I get the we matched them but we had 1 shot on goal how is that more likely to score. Again we just don't work the keeper enough.   

We certainly had more than one shot on goal in the first half, but regardless we just looked more threatening and got into more dangerous areas.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how i really feel to be honest.  Yes we would all like automatic promotion, failing that, the excitement of the playoffs.  Yes we still have a chance. But if these lastv2 games have shown us, we are no way ready for going up. I personally would hate a repeat of last time.

We have a very young up and coming team who need time.

Any team that goes up this year (no matter how good they look at the moment) will struggle. The big boys have lots of money and the players already in place to survive.  Any championship side will not. No money coming in now and for the foreseeable future.

Do I want promotion for Derby? Absolutely,  just not sure I want it this year

I’d give Clarke and Rooney some credit, Sibley battled but that’s it for me.

Hamer and Bogle very poor. The rest fall into the bang average.

We all know were missing key players, plus 3 or 4 new signings so no point in being too upset about it.

We are nowhere near too six right now and some of the kids may be good enough, some won’t be. Time will tell who comes through.

Last three games have showed we genuinely are not clinical enough, don’t break through the lines often enough, play is laboured and not enough people are stepping up to take responsibility. Rooney can’t do everything sadly.

Still I’m fully confident Cocu knows all our faults and will address them in the off season.

1 minute ago, David said:

They are good though. Very good. Benrhama is very good. As @Ambitious tweeted me, that’s Jozefzoon’s replacement. ?

They're neat and tidy. Over the whole season, clearly a better team than us, but I just didn't really see it today. I think they were there for the taking. 

-Beaten by a better side

-Poor defensive positioning for the goals (and yes, goalkeeping!)

-How many goals have we conceaded from the right hand side this season? How many crosses do we allow in? Needs addressing unfortunately for Bogle. Great talent but needs to step up before it’s too late. Or atleast show he wants to step up. 

-Whos this terrible Saunders bloke on sky saying it wasn’t a penalty? Put some socks on and shut up you daft wally.

-We have had some terrible terrible refs. Third goal today came from a period of soft free kicks going Brentford’s way. 3 poor refs in the last 3 games when you need some compentency. One thing since the restart I’ve noticed is how much refs respond to how players react to being challenged. 

-We arent quite there, that’s been clear since the restart but next year as Sibley, Knight and Bird we will be in with a hell of a chance.

-Always said, it’s just about enjoying this for what it is since the restart. We will be there stronger and better next season 

We were well in that game until Bens horror mistake , some of the players body language changed at that point , Clarke the pick of the Rams today , Knight did well 1st half , but hats off to them , they are a very good , organised side , Benrahma will be in the Prem next season with or without Brentford

Fair play to Brentford.. Won't be long before many clubs copy their maths based stats model.. They aim to compete with the best knowing they can't financially.. They are a minnow financially in the championship yet are more than competing.. I'm sure every club will try and learn from what they are doing its genius to be fair.. 

12 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Fun fact.

Ben Hamer is Hebrew for soft furnishings.

His mistake gave them a cushion.

Difficult game to assess. Brentford are an excellent team & that first 15 mins was frightening. We then played very well for remainder of the first half but were flattened by the ridiculous second goal. We conceded 3, were beaten by two clear goals but don't feel we defended that badly - 2 excellent goals from them & one howler.

As a a general point, thought our movement was much better today. Lots of little pop passes which helped us move the play around better & we looked dangerous at times - they defended very well though & their defence in general is a key reason why they're knocking on the door for automatic promotion.

Overall I'm not that disheartened - beaten by a better team that we went toe to toe with for long spells & still with an outside chance of the top 6.

Ratings;

Hamer - 4.5 - now a liability & must be removed from the team. Not just the second goal but the near calamity a few mins later & other incidences of poor decision making. His confidence must be shot & don't see the point in him playing for us again.

Bogle - 7 - a threat down the flank, the impetus for the equaliser & overall defensively was much better today. Unfortunate that the goals came down his flank but you have to expect Hamer to save the 2nd and the 3rd was just a fantastic strike, even if Bogle could have been closer to him.

Lowe - 7 - difficult for him particularly first half as they had 2 men coming down his flank but dealt with the threat pretty well. Some threat going forward but was better contributing to general play

Evans - 6.5. - lost his man for the first goal but generally solid

Clarke - 7.5 MOM - defended well against a very mobile team - none of the goals were his fault. Used the ball well & was a threat in their box at set pieces

Bird - 6.5 - quietly efficient in general play & screening the back 4. Contributed well to build up play in first half

Rooney - 7 - much better today. Less floated passes to the wings & less possession lost - sought to keep possession moving quickly, covered defensively well & made a couple of excellent blocks also

Lawrence - 6.5. - struggled to get into the game going forward especially second half. Worked hard to support Lowe defensively

Sibley - 7 - was very good first half - always an outlet for a pass, ran with the ball well & drew men away from others. Quieter second half but a decent display overall. Pass to Knight for the equaliser

Knight - 7 - worked very hard, supported Bogle defensively & scored the equaliser

Martin - 7 - very good when he had runners around him, bit anonymous when they had ascendancy in the game

Subs

Shinnie, Whitaker, Jozefzoon - 6 - none really made much impact

That’s the best interview I’ve heard Phil give. Every word spot on. In Phil we trust. I think we have a superb manager. Of course we can always criticise stuff, I’d be making subs earlier, but hear stats like Brentford manager 1 win in first 10. We are building here and as many of us have said, patience!! Close season won’t be too long a break too so our new blood (injuries sorted) and I can’t wait! ?

52 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m so angry right now with Hamer I’m not even sure words can describe it. We were well in this game until he did that. Well in it. I make that the fourth goal in the last four games that he should have stopped. I don’t want to see him in a Derby shirt ever again. Simple as that. Send him back to Huddersfield now and stick Ravas on the bench - Hamer is a pathetic excuse for a goalkeeeper.

I'm not angry with Hamer...I'm angry with the situation of why our fantastic club has ended up in this position of relying on two such terrible keepers for a whole season.This is not like an emergency where we've had two keepers injured/suspended and had to bring in someone at very short notice.I actually feel sorry for Hamer in a lot of ways... he's completely out of his depth.In 50 years supporting the Rams Roos and Hamer are definitely the worst keepers I've ever seen.Such a sad situation we've found ourselves in.

1 minute ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Not over the moon with Cocu calling out Bogle in his interview for their 3rd goal, without mentioning Hamer by name for the 2nd?

He said Bogle and Knight and he’s right why let him come inside like that .

Just now, Patrick Rams said:

I'm not angry with Hamer...I'm angry with the situation of why our fantastic club has ended up in this position of relying on two such terrible keepers for a whole season.This is not like an emergency where we've had two keepers injured/suspended and had to bring in someone at very short notice.I actually feel sorry for Hamer in a lot of ways... he's completely out of his depth.In 50 years supporting the Rams Roos and Hamer are definitely the worst keepers I've ever seen.Such a sad situation we've found ourselves in.

Well that too to be fair. He was an absolutely shocking signing during one of the worst transfer windows I’ve seen us have. Whoever signed him and Dowell deserves the sack.

18 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Great goal by Benrahma but it was not top corner it enters the net half way down so it might sound harsh but Hamer should’ve done better doesn’t move his feet ...terrible keeper I’m afraid 

That was unsaveable. 

Just now, Ruda Harliss said:

Not over the moon with Cocu calling out Bogle in his interview for their 3rd goal, without mentioning Hamer by name for the 2nd?

Bogle’s defending and positioning has been a problem all season. We’ve conceded a lot of crosses that shouldn’t be getting in the box and a lot of goals are coming from the right hand side. I’d offer the point that Bogle has probably dropped us more points than Hamer over the season and Bogle will be with us next season and Hamer won’t. The Hamer mistake is human error, the Bogle one is about what he’s doing from a footballing POV.

Archived