Derby County Vs Brentford matchday thread.

Rev

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thanks Madam Zaza! I thought we had them on the back foot and it could have gone either way. It was developing as a contest.

Yep personally I was pleasantly surprised by how we were performing and growing into it in a match that I expected to be very tough ,we may not have gone on to win it or get a draw but the blunder certainly shaped the game and you could say cost us in terms of being in position to go on and win it , we need a decent keeper to have the slightest chance of competing for promotion in the future

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/07/2020 at 08:43, RoyMac5 said:

Thanks Madam Zaza! I thought we had them on the back foot and it could have gone either way. It was developing as a contest.

Really,didn’t think we played that well but were comfortable all game think you only had 3 shots all game.Very poor goal keeping for the 2nd goal but could and should have had the game put to bed in the first 20 mins.BTW we were the away side.

On 11/07/2020 at 15:12, Steve How Hard? said:

The Hamer error is indefensible but I wasn't impressed with Bogles attempt at blocking the shot. I thought he led with wrong leg and his body shape was all wrong. 

Bogle's defending leaves a lot to be desired and a lot keep saying hes young and making excuses for the lad but I've said this before  his defending has been poor for a while  ....wembley against Villa he is to blame for one of the goals , charlton away, Forest twice once this season and last,  just to mention a few , when he's on his game going forward he is good but he also gets caught in two minds what to do......young or not it was unlike Cocu to single him out for criticism but it was justified...also watched the Brentford game  again and lets be clear they are a good side and Bogle and Holmes both trot back at times when Brentford got in behind them.....Man City are full of overpaid superstars in some peoples eyes but not mine....in a game where they were 4-0 up against Brighton  players were still busting a gut to get back and defend, I'm afraid i don't see that attitude in young Bogle or Holmes, that was dissapointing to see

On 11/07/2020 at 15:21, RamNut said:

Maybe cocu is mad with the first goal. Lowe will get some blame.
But Phillip, we know that we get some defensive frailties with bogle and Lowe, and you picked both v a team with great wingers?
I haven’t heard his comments, but they sound a bit misdirected to me.

So who should he have picked ? Forsyth looked leggy in previous game and no Wisdom

44 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Bogle's defending leaves a lot to be desired and a lot keep saying hes young and making excuses for the lad but I've said this before  his defending has been poor for a while  ....wembley against Villa he is to blame for one of the goals , charlton away, Forest twice once this season and last,  just to mention a few , when he's on his game going forward he is good but he also gets caught in two minds what to do......young or not it was unlike Cocu to single him out for criticism but it was justified...also watched the Brentford game  again and lets be clear they are a good side and Bogle and Holmes both trot back at times when Brentford got in behind them.....Man City are full of overpaid superstars in some peoples eyes but not mine....in a game where they were 4-0 up against Brighton  players were still busting a gut to get back and defend, I'm afraid i don't see that attitude in young Bogle or Holmes, that was dissapointing to see

It's definitely an area he needs to work on if he has any aspirations of playing at a higher level. 

1 hour ago, Brentfordjack said:

Really,didn’t think we played that well but were comfortable all game think you only had 3 shots all game.Very poor goal keeping for the 2nd goal but could and should have had the game put to bed in the first 20 mins.BTW we were the away side.

I'm not sure you could and should have put the game to bed in the opening 20

You were pulling us all over the place and we were kind of hanging on defensively but I don't remember you wasting chances? We were hanging on but last ditch defending isn't luck. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Doesn't surprise me we only had 3 shots on target (3 more off target like the Sibely break). We tend to only shoot when the opposition rolls out the red carpet. 

You definitely were the better side. You played very well in patches. But until the Hamer error we were definitely in the game. It wasn't like we were being mauled.

"BTW we were the away side"... what's that got to do with anything? Was you expecting the 30,000 empty seats to pile pressure on the referee? Maybe one of the flags blow loud in the wind and inspire our players to push that little bit harder? It's an empty stadium, man! 

2 hours ago, Brentfordjack said:

Every dog has it's day

Every tin pot club has it's season in the sun, before disappearing again like Wigan, Wimbledon and Swindon.

47 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm not sure you could and should have put the game to bed in the opening 20

You were pulling us all over the place and we were kind of hanging on defensively but I don't remember you wasting chances? We were hanging on but last ditch defending isn't luck. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Doesn't surprise me we only had 3 shots on target (3 more off target like the Sibely break). We tend to only shoot when the opposition rolls out the red carpet. 

You definitely were the better side. You played very well in patches. But until the Hamer error we were definitely in the game. It wasn't like we were being mauled.

"BTW we were the away side"... what's that got to do with anything? Was you expecting the 30,000 empty seats to pile pressure on the referee? Maybe one of the flags blow loud in the wind and inspire our players to push that little bit harder? It's an empty stadium, man! 

Just after we scored we had a goal bound effort from Mbeumo headed over the bar.I still think even though stats might show different we have an advantage when playing at home dispite no crowds and your home record is very impressive,Good luck in your last 3 games 

37 minutes ago, sage said:

Every dog has it's day

Every tin pot club has it's season in the sun, before disappearing again like Wigan, Wimbledon and Swindon.

Have heard this so many times by big time Charlie entitled fans in this division especially after we stuff them,and your dig at Wigan is pathetic after what they have had to endure this last week.Maybe they should have had done a deal like your owner and sold their ground for a fortune to avoid a points deduction.Will watch with interest how you get on next season with similar budgets as what you call tin pot clubs you could only dream of our set up on and off the field.

4 minutes ago, Brentfordjack said:

Have heard this so many times by big time Charlie entitled fans in this division especially after we stuff them,and your dig at Wigan is pathetic after what they have had to endure this last week.Maybe they should have had done a deal like your owner and sold their ground for a fortune to avoid a points deduction.Will watch with interest how you get on next season with similar budgets as what you call tin pot clubs you could only dream of our set up on and off the field.

Good luck in the play offs. It will be an injustice if you don’t go up.

Most football fans will appreciate that at present you are a stronger side than Derby County.

It’s too early for us to go up but our day will come soon enough if we can keep and develop our young players.

25 minutes ago, Brentfordjack said:

You are playing well and have bought well. Fans of all clubs are welcome on here, but you come on and be Billy Big baalocks then ask us to show some humility. Try a spoonful yourself. 

12 hours ago, Brentfordjack said:

Revenue (18/19)

Wigan - £11.5m
Wimbledon - £11.8m (equivalent if in Championship)
Swindon - £12.3m (equivalent if in Championship)
Brentford - £15.2m
Derby - £29.6m (17/18)

Maybe a fairer example for you would be Bournemouth? They got recruitment spot on, stormed the league playing great football, and... oh, they're coming back down. Even after 5 seasons in the Premier League, they'll drop back down to just £19.6m non-parachute revenue in their first season, before slumping back towards 'their level' closer to where Wigan are now if they don't go back up.

I'm not sure how you conclude we'll have a similar budget to Wigan next season. We effectively have a budget of around £50m (£30m revenue + £13m allowable losses + c£6m exempt academy spend). Wigan's budget isn't even half that.

Your recruitment has been top notch, but I wouldn't trade it for our academy. In time we can improve our recruitment to match yours, but you'll never have an academy as good as ours (if you ever try to have one again).

On 12/07/2020 at 08:43, RoyMac5 said:

I can’t remember too many chances for us in the second half. Benrahma’s effort was possibly the goal of the season. 

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I can’t remember too many chances for us in the second half. Benrahma’s effort was possibly the goal of the season. 

I think the point being made was that we went into half time with a bit of confidence because we were giving them a game, conceding so early in the second half took the wind out of our sails.

There wasnt too much between us on the day, a poor goalkeeping error and a worldie out of nothing.

13 hours ago, Brentfordjack said:

you could only dream of our set up on and off the field.

Your recruitment is good. You have scoured the European leagues, notably in France and Denmark and made good signings. No-one would argue with that. You have sold players for good fees and then reinvested. 
Our recruitment has been poor And that’s why we ended up with an ffp problem. We overpaid. We signed players with little or no resale value. (Butterfield, johnson, Anya, Blackman, huddlestone,  Etc). And the wages mushroomed. It was a series of gambles because we thought we were close to promotion and because we kept sacking managers. We are paying the price for mistakes from 5 years ago. we could compare plucking benrahma from the french Ligue 2 with our recruitment of jozefzoon (total flop) or Abdul camara from french Ligue 1. 

however didn’t Brentford scrap their academy? That is where we have invested. We produced one nugget in Will Hughes (who we then sold for peanuts). And now we have a few more. Sibley, knight and Bird will hopefully provide the foundation of our midfield for years to come, and have an average age of just 19, and there are more besides. 

33 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Your recruitment is good. You have scoured the European leagues, notably in France and Denmark and made good signings. No-one would argue with that. You have sold players for good fees and then reinvested. 
Our recruitment has been poor And that’s why we ended up with an ffp problem. We overpaid. We signed players with little or no resale value. (Butterfield, johnson, Anya, Blackman, huddlestone,  Etc). And the wages mushroomed. It was a series of gambles because we thought we were close to promotion and because we kept sacking managers. We are paying the price for mistakes from 5 years ago. we could compare plucking benrahma from the french Ligue 2 with our recruitment of jozefzoon (total flop) or Abdul camara from french Ligue 1. 

however didn’t Brentford scrap their academy? That is where we have invested. We produced one nugget in Will Hughes (who we then sold for peanuts). And now we have a few more. Sibley, knight and Bird will hopefully provide the foundation of our midfield for years to come, and have an average age of just 19, and there are more besides. 

Brentford don’t have an academy but I believe you have to have one in the premiership which could be interesting and as a side note when we were at Wembley vs QPR with our best team for a long while I think our wage bill was around £11 million, which tells you again that it is the basic statistic of football - collect the best players with the best attitudes in the right system to get the best out of them. Clough did a great job putting that team together for peanuts and Mc Claren did a great job getting them to express themselves.

Archived