Derby County Vs Brentford matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The feeling after this game is totally different than West Brom. Maybe because of the red card?

In midweek, we were slow, lacked creativity and hardly looked like scoring. We switched off twice and conceded twice. I was so dejected I stood outside in the garden for 3 hours, when it was pouring it down, just to get over that feeling.
This game, we looked a lot hungrier and there was nothing between the sides up until the second.We switched off for the first, a clanger for the second, and a top notch strike for the third. It certainly feels like we’re only a little bit away from being a very complete side. Just a couple of changes in personnel will make a massive difference. Everything feels so much better and promising. 

On a positive note, going forward into next season, I said at xmas in defense of Cocu chopping and changing, that there was imho a method in his apparent madness, that he was looking and assessing the whole squad. He is for me a 'Technical Manager ' and knows what he wants to see, is coaching to get the message through... He must now know where we are squad wise, and with Beilik and Twerk to come in he almost certainly has a shopping list to give Mel ready for next season, and I fully expect us to be right up there...  

Just a thought on referees. The lack of crowd pressure and the fact that we are a quiet group of players is working against us. Thinking of the penalty call and wether the crowd reaction might have got it. I know it is the same for both teams but they are getting away with so many errors as their is no come back immediately. Not just us and the same in most games. Players and managers biting their lips as every word can be heard.

13 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

awful tackle

This is another reason why I’d love to hear how referees explain decisions like this. I’ve no bias here, it was plain to see. I think of the Buchanan yellow V WBA and this gets same punishment. Work that one out 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

How many goals have we conceaded from the right hand side this season? How many crosses do we allow in? Needs addressing unfortunately for Bogle. Great talent but needs to step up before it’s too late. Or atleast show he wants to step up. 

Completely agree with your whole post. And concerning Bogle, I've said before that i don't get the hype and he often appears complacent. His attacking skills can be fantastic, but is also prone to bambi legs. His defensive work for me, isn't there and i would happily sell. 

I think we have to forget about promotion for 2-3 years and look at sorting out the infrastructure within the club.

Today’s game was won off the pitch.

Look at how far ahead Brentford are as a club. Their ability to identify and recruit quality players and coaches, bring them into a defined system where they can flourish, and add value - it’s an incredible set up.

I really want Cocu to succeed, but the more headlines I read, the more I fear that it will be impossible unless massive changes are made behind the scenes.

It’s all very well having a top academy and a manager with a track record like Cocu’s, but the way the club is being run in other areas - finance, scouting, analytics, recruitment, the list goes on - risks completely undermining the job the man is trying to do.

I am actually starting to feel sorry for Cocu. He staked his reputation on this job and there doesn’t seem to be any reward in sight.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he went off on holiday to Lake Como and never came back and honestly I wouldn’t blame him.

We have some promising young players - this is true - but the years of mismanagement behind the scenes are rapidly starting to catch up with us.

You can build a team around Bogle, Lowe, Bird and Sibley moving forward. But getting the rest of the team in place - we probably need 5-7 players - will take quite some time given all of our problems.

This league will always give you a chance no matter what. So I think the play-offs are in our future. But if we actually want to get over the line, Mel has to start getting things in order behind the scenes.

49 minutes ago, sage said:

Didn't have a tremendous amount of choice with a stabbed Wisdom and a knackered Forsyth. I think Lowe would have played v West Brom and rested Forsyth for that game if he hadn't had that knock.  

I don’t disagree. But we know what we’re going to get. And that includes some improved attacking prowess. 
all the sprogs did ok, but we were playing one of the top teams in the division, with a player who produced a worldly.

if he wanted to make a barbed comment, maybe make reference to the quality of their recruitment. That’s the difference between the two clubs. 

1 hour ago, DerbyRam! said:

Question - with Keogh not having his incident and still playing for us.

Would we be in a playoff spot right now?

Also with Bielik and a better keeper...I like to think we would be in top 6.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Bogle - 7 - a threat down the flank, the impetus for the equaliser & overall defensively was much better today. Unfortunate that the goals came down his flank but you have to expect Hamer to save the 2nd and the 3rd was just a fantastic strike, even if Bogle could have been closer to him.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you on this one, he was arguably at fault in some way for all 3 goals, stood off the player each time, when they get within 25 yards, you have to close down.
I will give him some credit though, he did a couple of great mazy runs, put the cross in for our goal BUT his defensive work is awful, he is no defender, reckon we could have a decent left winger though.

37 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Yes really really strange. Phil must think nothing of Roos for hamer to carry on playing. I‘m sure Roos knows this and the writing is all over the walls for me. I hope phil has a fantastic unknown Dutch keeper up his sleeve ?

In a pub in Allestree, standing at the bar my mate turns to kella Roos (While Carson was no.1) and says Duck me you’re so tall you could be a goalkeeper. Roos turns round and rather than takes the comment in the jest it was delivered he tells us to duck off. 
Then punched the pint of lager given to him from the barman, right into my mates hands!

ok the second bit didn’t appen

48 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I would like him to stop giving the ball away by thinking he can take everyone on.

I would also like much better crossing from him.

I hope he can be coached and accepts the feedback as I think there is a player in there.

He looks sloppy at times but he has to do it all on his own. Compared to the holding midfielders he has a much harder job.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

He did but then at the last minute he decided to throw it in the net.

ps. I go shopping far too often with the missus. I real man shouldn't even know what a throw is. ?

That's right.  A real man would only use an Antimacassar. Throws are for wusses!

oh... erm... did I just say that out loud?

Archived