Will we make the play-offs #2

Ellafella

Will we make the play-offs #2  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will we make the play-offs #2

• No
    • Yes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/20 at 11:30

11 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's a no for me, but certainly not disappointed if we dont make it, what a come back we have had after lockdown.

Our run in is horrific compared to say Cardiff.

Fulham losing Mitrovic for 3 games, Cardiff losing Adomah and Preston having a few problems, could help us out, but we need to beat some bloody good teams.

Forest, Cardiff, Brentford, Leeds, West Brom ?

Yes it does come down to those tough fixtures and we will probably fall short by only a few points. Also our goal difference doesn't help if it came down to that. For me also not a disappointment. With what Philip Cocu is doing, I can live with us being the best team to watch in the championship. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the odds are against it, our run in is as hard as it gets. Let’s take a game at a time, it’s not out of the question but very difficult. 

Even if we don’t go up we have made a really good base for next year, which I believe will be our year 

12 hours ago, TexasRam said:

No for me, I just don’t think we can keep hanging on the the way we have in the 2nd halves. I still don’t think we’ve got enough in the final 3rd to hurt teams late on. Lawrence and Marriott too big misses imo 

I agree with Lawrence and Marriott, without those two we still have a chance but the extra goals from two proven match winners would have been enough to make up for the odd defensive frailty we are prone to.

Big losses at a vital time, still, with Rooney and academy lads we will always have a chance and the other teams will be more worried about us than we are of them.

Great end to a very strange season just a huge pity that we are not there to see it, influence it, breathe it, what an atmosphere we'd have had tomorrow........

6 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Of course we can, we’re in a weird, weird league during a weird, weird time. And we’re playing really well, with a talented core of players and very astute manager. Have a great chance.

Dont understand people who’ve voted no on this, are you trying to save face or are you just dead boring?

I voted no because the question is "will we" not "can we".

We absolutely could do it; it's literally in our hands as it stands, we are in excellent form, there isn't a side in the division which looks unbeatable and there are several outside factors that I think favour us and how we play football (weather, lack of away crowds, really disrupted last quarter to the game).

But I think the odds are slightly higher that we don't do it than we do. Purely because we need to play at a consistent high level against multiple good teams in a very congested period. 

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I voted no because the question is "will we" not "can we".

We absolutely could do it; it's literally in our hands as it stands, we are in excellent form, there isn't a side in the division which looks unbeatable and there are several outside factors that I think favour us and how we play football (weather, lack of away crowds, really disrupted last quarter to the game).

But I think the odds are slightly higher that we don't do it than we do. Purely because we need to play at a consistent high level against multiple good teams in a very congested period. 

It literally isn’t. It’s literally in Cardiff, and the others above them, hands. 

13 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I voted no, we're closer than we were but I still think we'll just fall short.

No reason to be downhearted, and we're in with a shout.

I’m the same. Our run in is pretty difficult. We’ve got ourselves to having a fighting chance, and all told it’s been a good season.

I felt at the start of the season that top 10 would be acceptable, so to be in contention is better than I’d hoped. I do suspect we’ll drop back a little bit the positives outweigh the negatives for me. 

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

It literally isn’t. It’s literally in Cardiff, and the others above them, hands. 

It is in our hands. If we win all our games, we’re in the playoffs.

We’re 1 point behind Cardiff with same number of games played. Win the game against them and we’re 2 above. 

I just don’t think we will ?

I voted yes.

The games in midweek seemed pivotal. I had expected Cardiff to win on Tuesday. The fact that they didn't and we went on to beat Preston - it felt like the pendulum took a swing in our direction.

A one point difference. Six games. We play our direct rivals. Rooney and Cocu will be in the dressing room telling the boys anything is possible. It'll be tight and it'll be tough. I think we'll probably need 10-12 points from 18 because Cardiff won't just roll over.

But we are on a winning run, we are grinding out results, our home form is strong and our away form is improving. Each positive result since the restart just makes me feel that it might not be as impossible as we have all been imagining. Forest, Leeds, Brentford and WBA are all good sides, but we are too. We can match them and if we turn up, we could beat any of them.

It's a big ask, but with every win, you just start to think: why the hell not?

The biggest difference between Philip Cocu and Frank is that Phil is staying for four years. He had recently compared Derby with PSV and we know what happened there. He told the Dutch press that his training course to be a manager did not prepare him for the off the field scenarios at Derby. Master of Understatement. I think that he loves it here. Certainly not boring, is it. Big test tomorrow but Cocu says he loves the big games. He must have an enormous number of friends across the world. He reckons that we have made very good progress this year. What a dude.

At this stage its what we do against Cardiff's results. We have Forest at home, they have Bristol away. Next match we have Westbrom away (they have not been flying since the restart) Cardiff have Blackburn at home(A match Blackburn need to win to stay in with a chance of getting into a play off place). Then a vital Saturday where we play home to Brentford (they have got to lose sometime) and Cardiff have Fulham away(Not easy). Then the big one Cardiff v Rams (This could be the deciding match maybe). We follow this up with a home game against Leeds( if Luton can draw at Elland road, what can we acheive). Cardiff meanwhile travel to M'boro (Warnock knows the welsh team inside out and his the master of keeping teams up). Last game of the season, Rams travel to going nowhere Birmingham, while Cardiff play at home to fighting to stay up Hull.

Summing it up, the match versus Cardiff could be the crucial game. Time will tell, at this stage of the season you will get some strange results, where teams at the top get jittery and don't perform to their best. The pressure is always on the teams teams chasing the automatic spot and the teams trying to stay in the play off spots. The teams chasing, are the ones with nothing to lose. Will we make the play offs, Ask me again after the Brentford game, there is too many teams, still chasing for promotion. There is only 6 points between Cardiff and 12th spot, so Bristol, Blackburn, Preston, Swansea, Millwall and the Rams will all keep trying to get that 6th spot that currently Cardiff have. Just a point of note, Cardiff have drawn 16 games, only bettered by Millwall with 17. If they carry on getting 50% of their remaining matches drawn they will certainly drop out of 6th spot.

28 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

At this stage its what we do against Cardiff's results. We have Forest at home, they have Bristol away. Next match we have Westbrom away (they have not been flying since the restart) Cardiff have Blackburn at home(A match Blackburn need to win to stay in with a chance of getting into a play off place). Then a vital Saturday where we play home to Brentford (they have got to lose sometime) and Cardiff have Fulham away(Not easy). Then the big one Cardiff v Rams (This could be the deciding match maybe). We follow this up with a home game against Leeds( if Luton can draw at Elland road, what can we acheive). Cardiff meanwhile travel to M'boro (Warnock knows the welsh team inside out and his the master of keeping teams up). Last game of the season, Rams travel to going nowhere Birmingham, while Cardiff play at home to fighting to stay up Hull.

Summing it up, the match versus Cardiff could be the crucial game. Time will tell, at this stage of the season you will get some strange results, where teams at the top get jittery and don't perform to their best. The pressure is always on the teams teams chasing the automatic spot and the teams trying to stay in the play off spots. The teams chasing, are the ones with nothing to lose. Will we make the play offs, Ask me again after the Brentford game, there is too many teams, still chasing for promotion. There is only 6 points between Cardiff and 12th spot, so Bristol, Blackburn, Preston, Swansea, Millwall and the Rams will all keep trying to get that 6th spot that currently Cardiff have. Just a point of note, Cardiff have drawn 16 games, only bettered by Millwall with 17. If they carry on getting 50% of their remaining matches drawn they will certainly drop out of 6th spot.

A very key point well made. The pressure is slightly off us because we didn’t expect to be there. Add the Rooney factor and one of the youngsters is now due a big game and I think our stubbornness to win will come to the fore. 

The way I see it, there is only one team we need to take more points than over the remaining 6 games, that is Cardiff. Due to their superior goal difference we need to take 2 more points to be sure. Yes, our run in is difficult but theirs is far from straight forward. We have already taken 2 more points than Cardiff over the opening 3 fixtures, we just need to take 2 more over the remaining 6 fixtures.

All the teams behind us need to gain more points than us in the remaining fixtures.

Milwall +2

Swansea +4

Preston +4

Blackburn +5

Bristol +6

(I've ignored goal difference for clarity, but obviously it will be a factor)

We can do this!

Archived