Mike te Wierik

Sean

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2020 at 08:06, RamNut said:

The u23s - or whatever they were called then - were completely overhauled in mac1’s time, after he apparently said we had nothing. 
the club went out and signed half a new team including Mitchell, roos, klobenz, bunjaku, calero, Santos and macdonald. 

for memory the team was....

ROOS / MITCHELL

HENDRIE      RAWSON.    HANSON.     LOWE

KLOBENZ

BUNJAKU.       ?

SANTOS.       THOMAS.       CALERO

calero scored goals but got little opportunity to join the first team squad

santos did well in one game - maybe a league cup game - but never featured again.

bunjaku got no opportunity at all.

however, our first team was very much on song. Why would we disrupt that when we were going for promotion?

And none of them have gone on to play at championship level bar Roos and Lowe, both of whom are taking a long time to establish themselves. 

I dont always but I have to agree it's all about timing.

I really hope he isn't crap now he seems like a decent bloke.

I did watch some of the Groningen games when we first signed him to see what he was like: mostly ok but he seemed to have a tendency to play a hospital pass and was far from dominant in the air. He seemed to lose more than he won in that regard. A few red flags, but I guess we will see.  

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I really hope he isn't crap now he seems like a decent bloke.

I did watch some of the Groningen games when we first signed him to see what he was like: mostly ok but he seemed to have a tendency to play a hospital pass and was far from dominant in the air. He seemed to lose more than he won in that regard. A few red flags, but I guess we will see.  

Very much dependant who his defensive partners will be I think. Example, Keogh looked immense alongside Tomori, but looked awful next to someone like Pearce. 

As long as he has a stable CB partner like Wizzy, Clarke or a yet unknown player he'll be fine. 

Archived