v Preston (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Good 1st half performance, not so good 2nd half. I worry about us going forward later on in games (if we have to chase a game). Bird and Lowe outstanding today. Hope Bogle is ok for Saturday. 

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen Harry Wilson trudge off after losing 1 -4 to the Toon at home. Not sure where his future is now. Maxi-Min set the temperature for the Toon win. Mercurial player. Championship table looks good. Vastly better than expected after three games without fans. This Rams team expects to win each game.

25 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Points win prizes. Promotion will be a Brucey bonus.

Cocu, the master of understatement. We started with 5 players who came through the Academy. Well done Wassell and Co.

We ended with 4 players on the pitch who play Left Back too!

9 minutes ago, roboto said:

We ended with 4 players on the pitch who play Left Back too!

Total football, PSV style. I am only partly joking, roboto. We have been increasingly looking like a Dutch team. All our players can now trap and pass a ball to a player on our side nearly all the time. The younger players could do it as soon as they got in the team. No commentator has asked Wayne how much he is enjoying it here. A lot in my opinion.

Could do with a list of the six most improved players since Cocu got here. Difficult call. Any suggestions  Cocu had identical record to Lamps after 40 games but had in two more goals. Remarkable statistics. After his sacking in Turkey, Cocu is starting to make his point. They just did not give him enough time. Would Keogh now be a regular starter.

28 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Knight works as hard as any player that we have. Better than Lawrence for me.

If knight had Lawrence goal scoring ability then he would be one hell of a player and if Lawrence had knights determination to succeed he would sold for a fortune - knight is definitely a good team player 

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

We were fairly comfortable in my opinion, no need to press against a team that pass the ball around the back aimlessly half of the time we kept a solid shape and defended well.

Yeah but we need to change our goal difference.

it would have been nice to have scored a second.

45 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The very epitome of a gritty 0-1 away win & exactly what I said in the playoff thread we werent capable of ?

To be fair Preston were very toothless but credit to us for a very solid textbook away display. Always had a measure of control & never felt we were in real danger.

The Evans experiment worked perfectly well & thought Knight put in a great shift on the left wing. My MOM though was Max Bird, so classy in possession, broke up/intercepted so much and his work at the end to take the ball off their right winger, advance & put Rooney in space near the corner flag was sublime.

Getting interesting isnt it!?! COYR!!

Didn't even feel all that gritty. Never really felt like they laid a glove on us to be honest. 

Our three matches have all had a similar pattern where we dominate the first half, get into to the lead (and barring a couple mishaps) and then see the game out.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Yeah but apart from that?

13/14 we did it twice, 7 game run in the November (almost identical to 16/17) and, as you said, the run in to the play offs. 

Before that was 11/12 we won 5 in a row but one was an fa cup game. 

23 minutes ago, Srg said:

That is unbelievable when you consider:

• Come in late to a tour in the US
  • Record (and only) signing ACL injury, forcing youngsters to have to play
  • Captain sacked in disgrace
  • 2 others dragged through courts
  • Centre back stabbed
  • Coronavirus suspension
  • All kind of injuries to Huddlestone, Marriott, Holmes and Bogle, amongst others.
  • No help from 2 full England internationals and another Wales international playing weekly in the Prem.
  • EFL charges hanging over the club
  • Players not getting paid on time

Cocu would've avoided the iceberg in 1912, and done so with a calming demeanour and inspiring leadership.

Your forgetting trying to integrate two loan signings who weren't up to scratch and were obviously not his picks.

Then to be landed Rooney months before he could utilise him, I think Cocu's handling of this has been incredible tbh.

I'm pretty sure that most of our recent managers would have mishandled this situation, either through ego or not having a clue how to utilise him.

Instead Phillip has figured out a way to bring him into the team, leverage all of his talent and experience for the betterment of the squad, and made his arrival not the cherry on the cake, but the ingredient that lets others develop their flavour.

Remarkable work really.

35 minutes ago, Ramchope said:

Max Lowe was superb today, read the game so well and made some brilliant interceptions. 

If he gets his poo together ... and I don’t mean that in a horrible way, but stays focussed in game, cuts out the little lapses that have cost him his place in the team in the past he’s got the potential to go right to the top ... same character he said for bogle 

Jesus Christ ... then u think ... knight, sibley, bird .... duck me we’ve got a team boys!!!  

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Yeah but we need to change our goal difference.

it would have been nice to have scored a second.

I don't think we do, keep on winning and we will have plenty of points, teams around us are dropping plenty of points so if we win 4 out of our last 6 we will be in the playoffs I think.

Archived