v Preston (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JfR said:

Not a surprise, I'm just amazed the ref missed it in real time

That's something that always bugs me about retrospective bans for red cards. The people who benefit are Preston's next three opponents, potentially our rivals, whilst we, having been sinned against, get no benefit whatsoever. I'm not suggesting that the offence should go unpunished, but there must be a fairer solution.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Slightly surprised myself as I thought he'd get away with it, as it didn't seem clearly deliberate. The FA and 99% of people most likely made the judgement on 'balance of probability'.

Thought that would happen, in fairness. Incident was very close to the Ref. Proving intent is difficult but them going down to ten men would have helped. Could have changed goal difference and Play Off chances. Bring in VAR or just ring Sky or similar.

11 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

That's something that always bugs me about retrospective bans for red cards. The people who benefit are Preston's next three opponents, potentially our rivals, whilst we, having been sinned against, get no benefit whatsoever. I'm not suggesting that the offence should go unpunished, but there must be a fairer solution.

VAR

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Keough would have been a really good player this season the way things have developed , when teams try to sit on Rooney and bird to stop us playing imagine richy driving out of defence and running the ball 3/4 of the length of the pitch in that richy way , opposition just would not have known how to handle us , shame it ended the way it did but richy would have been very very useful in this team

I think that Cocu has managed to free the players from any sense of here we go again in a negative sense of things not quite working out for us. We have a new focus on the present.

What an assured and controlled performance that was! Something really big is happening here, and I think there has been an improvement since the ref blew the final whistle for lockdown. What Cocu has managed to do with them for most of the lockdown I have no idea because they couldn't meet up,  but he's done something. The ability to pass the ball out of defence is quite astounding. It used to be one of the reasons everyone was shouting to get the ball upfield, because we kept playing ourselves into trouble with loose passing, and frankly the fans were scared of self-inflicted disaster. Now we can find our man through the tiniest of gaps, and just keep playing the ball around until an opening appears. Now it is the players doing the pressing who are making the mistakes!

We were absolutely in control for the majority of the first half, and very comfortable, and were the better side by far. Admittedly Preston were able to ping the ball from player to player quite quickly around midfield, but they had no idea what to do with it. It didn't help setting the team up with Nugent as the lone forward. He works really hard, can play people in, but has lost too much pace, and needed about 35 chances before he would score, and that was in his prime, about 30 years ago.

As with Millwall I knew Preston would come out pressing hard in the second half, but I wonder if the "being forced back" was all part of the plan. Cocu had seen that Preston weren't much of a threat in front of goal, which backed up their recent record, so wound down the effort we required and just simply kept them at bay. After all, Hamer didn't have a lot of shot stopping to do, did he?

It is also likely that Cocu had an eye on Saturday's match, keeping Martin and Fozzy on the bench. He also chose not to play either of the two pacy wingers we had on the bench - we simply didn't need to, so we can hold those two on reserve for another day.

It's good to see the officiating continues unabated, completely unaffected by the long lay-off. They haven't lost their edge, so well done. Last night's ref must have had some of his training at a refereeing school sponsored by Arsene Wenger because the amount of stuff he didn't see was astounding, especially against Derby, although the "foul" on Sibley which led to the goal was a real soft one. Henderson was trying to block Sibley's run through on to the ball, but our man squirmed past him and then fell to the ground, with loss of balance being a contributory factor. So it paid back one of the several on Sibley which were completely missed. I didn't get to see the injury to Bogle because Rams TV decided to have its own lockdown for the rest of the match, although hearing that Pearson was involved makes me think that the challenge might not have been completely in accord with the rules of the game! A borrowed Skygo sign up got me the last 4 minutes, plus stoppage time, and despite all the hoofs forwards or across, none of them resulted in anything because we seemed to be able to deal with it all quite well.

At the end we saw Cocu with a huge grin on his face for the first time ever - he is normally pretty bland and po-faced when on camera. I reckon that he really enjoyed the way he played Preston - he got his tactics spot on. He feigned a "short intake of breath - phew! That was close" expression as he shook Alex Neill's hand, but that was just for show. He looked as satisfied as I, and many, many others were.

A great night, and a pretty good next day with the news on Henderson's red card!

We can do this, you know!!!!!!

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, JfR said:

Not a surprise, I'm just amazed the ref missed it in real time

amazed the ref gave a free kick,  seemed to have some issue with sibley all game. 

5 hours ago, swadieram said:

What are you on 

Nothing really , his runs out of defence were quality and would have given us another dimension, your obviously in the keough was useless camp , fair enough as it’s opinions but my guess is cocu would have been picking him regularly had the injury not happened

On 01/07/2020 at 19:42, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Bonkers that is!

I know I've been a bit of a Cocu fanboy but when you consider all the trials and tribulations Phil has faced and that he's had to plug some major gaps with some very young players, it's pretty remarkable really. The fact that he has been so assured and calm throughout all the bumps is not lost on me and that calmness does seem to have filtered down to the players. I bet the lads absolutely love playing under him.

Wanted to give you a double love for this. Spot on. Don’t think the media remotely come close to appreciating what he’s done in the circumstances this season never mind the off the field stuff. Not that that’s a bad thing, under the radar please every time, that’s gone now though with this run. 
I’m Long Weekend from work so I may even be tempted to open an early ale Saturday, squeeze in to my ‘Avon’ shirt and let the fun begin. Can only imagine how Rooney would have enjoyed the atmosphere at a bursting Pride Park. Give that lad a new contract now otherwise the big boys will be after him ?

1 hour ago, SKRam said:

Wanted to give you a double love for this. Spot on. Don’t think the media remotely come close to appreciating what he’s done in the circumstances this season never mind the off the field stuff. Not that that’s a bad thing, under the radar please every time, that’s gone now though with this run. 
I’m Long Weekend from work so I may even be tempted to open an early ale Saturday, squeeze in to my ‘Avon’ shirt and let the fun begin. Can only imagine how Rooney would have enjoyed the atmosphere at a bursting Pride Park. Give that lad a new contract now otherwise the big boys will be after him ?

Yes, got to feel for Rooney because he's never experienced a Derby Forest game. Probably why he came to play for us!

Knight’s performance went a little under the radar. His defensive work was top notch (level with Lowe for most tackles and interceptions) and was tidy on the ball when he had it. Rarely gave it away and played a few fantastic cross-field balls. 
I’d argue it was his most mature performance yet. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight’s performance went a little under the radar. His defensive work was top notch (level with Lowe for most tackles and interceptions) and was tidy on the ball when he had it. Rarely gave it away and played a few fantastic cross-field balls. 

Me too. I was a little concerned he'd gone off the boil a bit from his earlier appearances but I thought he did an excellent job on Wednesday evening. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What is his best position? He seems very balanced between attacking and defensive skills. Might he eventually take over from Rooney next to Bird, offering more mobility and bite to complement the elegant Bird?

Archived