46 minutes ago, Srg said:

That is unbelievable when you consider:

• Come in late to a tour in the US
  • Record (and only) signing ACL injury, forcing youngsters to have to play
  • Captain sacked in disgrace
  • 2 others dragged through courts
  • Centre back stabbed
  • Coronavirus suspension
  • All kind of injuries to Huddlestone, Marriott, Holmes and Bogle, amongst others.
  • No help from 2 full England internationals and another Wales international playing weekly in the Prem.
  • EFL charges hanging over the club
  • Players not getting paid on time

Cocu would've avoided the iceberg in 1912, and done so with a calming demeanour and inspiring leadership.

I still like frank though. 

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RamNut said:

I’m not surprised he went, given the job offered, was just a bit disappointing how protracted it was. I enjoyed the team spirit we had last season but it definitely masked some flaws, particularly when you added in the sheer talent we had on loan. 

Sky commentator mentioned after Phillip Cocu's post match interview, "could you get any more laid back?" or something like that.

His wonderful manner is coming out in the players, they are in control, they are at ease, not panicking, enjoying playing football and playing in a wonderful positive manner, so come on Derby County fans, relax, believe and have belief in your team.

Oh and the boy Wayne Rooney carried on playing in a wonderful manner guiding his team on to another victory.

D.C.F.C Love, Life & Unity.

image.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Total football, PSV style. I am only partly joking, roboto. We have been increasingly looking like a Dutch team. All our players can now trap and pass a ball to a player on our side nearly all the time. The younger players could do it as soon as they got in the team. No commentator has asked Wayne how much he is enjoying it here. A lot in my opinion.

Could do with a list of the six most improved players since Cocu got here. Difficult call. Any suggestions  Cocu had identical record to Lamps after 40 games but had in two more goals. Remarkable statistics. After his sacking in Turkey, Cocu is starting to make his point. They just did not give him enough time. Would Keogh now be a regular starter.

Could do with a list of the six most improved players since Cocu got here: from those who played a decent amount last season.

Waghorn, Wisdom, Lawrence, Lowe, Bogle, Martin. I know Lowe was on loan last season but he'd been around the first team before then.

Would Keogh now be a regular starter?

Had he not got a contract ending injury, I think he would've still been first choice - however, coming in from nowhere to this team, he'd have a job dislodging Wisdom.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’m not surprised he went, given the job offered, was just a bit disappointing how protracted it was. I enjoyed the team spirit we had last season but it definitely masked some flaws, particularly when you added in the sheer talent we had on loan. 

Of course

he was picking up a squad stripped of the talent of Hughes and vydra, full of old legs, that had been reprogrammed not to play football.

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Good bit of business by the chairman. Had Lamps on loan from Chelski for a season, reached play off final, made a few million in compensation from Franks release clause. Appointed a far better manager in Cocu. Win, win, win ££££. Well done Mel. 

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Could do with a list of the six most improved players since Cocu got here: from those who played a decent amount last season.

Waghorn, Wisdom, Lawrence, Lowe, Bogle, Martin. I know Lowe was on loan last season but he'd been around the first team before then.

Had he not got a contract ending injury, I think he would've still been first choice - however, coming in from nowhere to this team, he'd have a job dislodging Wisdom.

Max bird most improved by some distance 

the kid is rapidly turning into a star 

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

Max bird most improved by some distance 

the kid is rapidly turning into a star 

The reason I didn't include Bird in the list is because he didn't play a major part last season and clearly wasn't ready for 1st team football.

Bird, Sibley, Knight all really emerged as 1st team players this season.

30 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Didn't even feel all that gritty. Never really felt like they laid a glove on us to be honest. 

Our three matches have all had a similar pattern where we dominate the first half, get into to the lead (and barring a couple mishaps) and then see the game out.

Last 10 mins felt like a rearguard action but agree with you that they lacked any sort of cutting edge & major chances.

Since the resumption, getting the opening goal & having a strong first half has really suited our strengths i.e. our ability to hold onto the ball & bring on Davies/Shinnie to shore the game up. I wonder how we'll get on when we're chasing a game 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Knight works as hard as any player that we have. Better than Lawrence for me.

Thought he was excellent today and lessened the blow of losing Lawrence that I made such a fuss about on the weekend. Not sure he's a better player than Tom as yet though. The form Lawrence was in just prior to lockdown was the best we've seen from him and while Knight is the more consistent of the two, Tom can win games from nothing. 

What is definitely clear though, is that like all the young'uns under Cocu, Knight is improving game by game and certainly has the potential to be as good as Tom, if not better, in time, but in a different way perhaps. He'll get a short run of games now, I'm sure, so Tom won't be walking straight back into the side and that might be a blessing too. Even with a pretty threadbare squad right now, there is fierce competition for starting slots and when you look back to the start of the season, that's pretty remarkable in itself.

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Honestly a fully fit Keogh would walk in the team and be a definate improvement.

15 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Last 10 mins felt like a rearguard action but agree with you that they lacked any sort of cutting edge & major chances.

Since the resumption, getting the opening goal & having a strong first half has really suited our strengths i.e. our ability to hold onto the ball & bring on Davies/Shinnie to shore the game up. I wonder how we'll get on when we're chasing a game 

I think it doesn't just favour us but I think any team that's taken the lead going into about the hour mark has a big advantage because the last half hour of the game is really broken up by the drinks break and the 5 subs. 

See your point about chasing the game but we were down against Millwall.... 

41 minutes ago, europia said:

Good bit of business by the chairman. Had Lamps on loan from Chelski for a season, reached play off final, made a few million in compensation from Franks release clause. Appointed a far better manager in Cocu. Win, win, win ££££. Well done Mel. 

First half Frank

second half Rowett

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I see some of Cocus intensive 1 on 1 training messages ate getting through to Duane.....?

I love Duane, but he's not really found his form since the Covid. Wasn't it a broken ankle he was out with?

Anyway, yes, he really should've kicked it into the net, the move was so good it deserved to be finished off.

Great win and yes for all their possession we looked solid apart from one hairy moment. 

Very similar game to Preston at home. Played great first half. Went off the boil second and clung on for the last 20.

To me the pitch didn't look great or at least play great. Looked very sticky, balls caught under feet, slow movement across the pitch. Players slipping everywhere. Grass too long? Too dry? 

12 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Great win and yes for all their possession we looked solid apart from one hairy moment. 

Very similar game to Preston at home. Played great first half. Went off the boil second and clung on for the last 20.

To me the pitch didn't look great or at least play great. Looked very sticky, balls caught under feet, slow movement across the pitch. Players slipping everywhere. Grass too long? Too dry? 

Noticed that as well. Rooney pinged one ball that seemed slow down on the turf a lot more than usual.

Archived