v Preston (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

What is his best position? He seems very balanced between attacking and defensive skills. Might he eventually take over from Rooney next to Bird, offering more mobility and bite to complement the elegant Bird?

Definitely CM. If we don’t go up, I’d like to see Knight transition into that role, but then how do you fit Shinnie and Holmes in? For now I think he will have to settle as a utility player, filling in as one of the 3 behind the CF.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight’s performance went a little under the radar. His defensive work was top notch (level with Lowe for most tackles and interceptions) and was tidy on the ball when he had it. Rarely gave it away and played a few fantastic cross-field balls. 
I’d argue it was his most mature performance yet. 

He was excellent. Did a real job for the team. Instead of chasing individual glory, he plugged the gaps and covered for Lowe. I would have liked him to have been a bit more selfish and had a shot or two, but I can’t criticise him. 

Just a couple of other thoughts.

Firstly, Max Lowe looked really impressive to me.  He suffers a little because at 6'3'' Fozzy gives added height and aerial ability to the back line but the boy can play.  The way he had the much vaunted Scott Sinclair in his back pocket was reminiscent of Ashley Cole.  If and when he's called on in this run in, he will not let us down.

And secondly, Rooney seemed bang on it.  Alex Ferguson often commented it took Wayne a run of games to get up to full speed and I thought there was an element of that in the first two back.  But if Wayne stays healthy and in this form there could be some real fireworks between now and the end of the season.

According to Transfermarkt's figures, which we know are dubious but they do give an idea, our starting XI last night cost an estimated total of £6.5million (£5.4million's worth was Waghorn) whereas our injured and suspended players total £17.5million 

5 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

According to Transfermarkt's figures, which we know are dubious but they do give an idea, our starting XI last night cost an estimated total of £6.5million (£5.4million's worth was Waghorn) whereas our injured and suspended players total £17.5million 

Fees spent on Evans, Fozzy, Holmes, Waghorn. Rooney free, Hamer and Clarke loans with the rest academy. 

If they think Waghorn was £5.4m, and we know Fozzy was £150k, that means the other two cost just under £1m. Holmes was rumoured at £700k, meaning Evans was £250k. Waghorn’s seems a bit high but the rest looks about right.

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Fees spent on Evans, Fozzy, Holmes, Waghorn. Rooney free, Hamer and Clarke loans with the rest academy. 

If they think Waghorn was £5.4m, and we know Fozzy was £150k, that means the other two cost just under £1m. Holmes was rumoured at £700k, meaning Evans was £250k. Waghorn’s seems a bit high but the rest looks about right.

Fozzy didn't start Lowe did, Wag £5.4m, Holmes £702,000, Evans £400,000 Is what they reckon. No idea on the accuracy but they seem like the right general ball parks

32 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Fozzy didn't start Lowe did, Wag £5.4m, Holmes £702,000, Evans £400,000 Is what they reckon. No idea on the accuracy but they seem like the right general ball parks

Of course fozzy didnt ?‍♂️ Figures still look slightly high for Waggy and Evans but obviously not too far off

On 03/07/2020 at 15:45, Andrew3000 said:

What is his best position? He seems very balanced between attacking and defensive skills. Might he eventually take over from Rooney next to Bird, offering more mobility and bite to complement the elegant Bird?

Yes, he's an old fashioned central midfielder who defends, passes neatly, runs and scores goals. We're asking him to plug holes (ahem) at the moment, rather than seeing the best of him.

Long term Bird, Knight, Sibley is a perfectly balanced trio.

Archived