Rams TV, the verdict

ram59

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He's been doing it for a season or two now. I think he's very good on the whole.

Yeah I'm aware of that, I didn't mean today was his first time, more that he's always seemed a natural at it.

It was my first time watching RamsTV as I've got Sky so normally watch the midweek matches via the red button.

Overall, was impressed. Commentary was absolutely Sky/BT standard and liked Shane Nicholson's contribution also. Plenty of graphics and replays.

Not sure if this has been covered on another thread but interesting to consider if the current 'new normal' has an effect on how we view our football in future i.e. will it be possible at some point to buy a virtual season ticket & watch all games including Sat 3pm kick off games? I was talking to another Derby fan here in Leeds, we both have young families and plenty of commitments outside of work but would jump at the chance to pay to stream matches remotely beyond these 9 games. Not the same as going to games of course but is a) more income for the club & b) keeps fans actively engaged with what is going on at the club

I watched via Smart TV - virtually no problems at all. I was a bit worried because I couldn't register the pass code via the TV, and had to do that via the laptop. The wording of the DCFC email made me think I would have to watch all the matches on the laptop, but had a sneaky log on via the tv and it was on there as well. IT was way better than the laptop/hdmi as there was no delay or fuzzy picture quality. Also with the laptop I can't get the audio into the tv and sound system, so have to make do with the tinny laptop speakers. Not today - everything worked a treat, and I think that DCFC mean that you can watch the matches on whatever device you want to watch it on, rather than only watching it on the device you registered the code on. Brilliant! I also noticed that my son who was watching in Ilkeston was a few seconds ahead of us - he Whatsapped a comment on the second goal while we were still watching the ball go into the net!

And I'm still glowing after all this time! What a result!

Never used it for a first team match before so was a bit concerned the streaming might struggle with so many watching. Was pleasantly surprised to see how well it coped, the stream remained stable for me at least for the full 90. Really good production as always too. 

2 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

First time watching it directly through a Smart TV. It was much better than using a chromebook and linking to TV with HDMI cable. Generally speaking the coverage is very good. Occasionally the camera used wasn't too good - specifically remember Tom going on a run, they zoomed in on him and consequently we had no idea what was happening around him.

The cameras are the responsibility of the home side. There’s nothing we can do about that when we’re away. 

1 hour ago, Nishfan said:

only improvements would be post match interviews & discussion & I prefer no fake crowd noise, but from other posts perhaps out of RamsTV’s control.

Never thought about it before - would be a good addition, but I feel a lot of fans simply switch the stream off at full time. Perhaps a deeper post-match show would keep more fans tuned in? @OwenB87, what are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It was my first time watching RamsTV as I've got Sky so normally watch the midweek matches via the red button.

Overall, was impressed. Commentary was absolutely Sky/BT standard and liked Shane Nicholson's contribution also. Plenty of graphics and replays.

Not sure if this has been covered on another thread but interesting to consider if the current 'new normal' has an effect on how we view our football in future i.e. will it be possible at some point to buy a virtual season ticket & watch all games including Sat 3pm kick off games? I was talking to another Derby fan here in Leeds, we both have young families and plenty of commitments outside of work but would jump at the chance to pay to stream matches remotely beyond these 9 games. Not the same as going to games of course but is a) more income for the club & b) keeps fans actively engaged with what is going on at the club

People outside the UK and Ireland can purchase a monthly subscription at just £12.50 a month. I think the pricing in the UK is set by the EFL. As such, people (located in the UK) buying match passes are restricted to £10 per game.

34 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I only ever seen games this way living in the US so it was normal for me minus crown noise.

Ive always liked Sinner and Owen. Although I didn't know they done it remotely and did notice. Do they always?

but who cares? A great performance and result. 

As far as I know it’s always been the same. You tend to notice more when the hole side has a poor selection of camera views. 

"For fans who have waited since March to see a glimpse of their team in action, the afternoon began in frustrating fashion for many, after a technical issue hit the streaming of Championship games on the iFollow system.

The English Football League has enabled clubs to stream all the remaining matches - in light of no supporters being allowed to attend games - but some fans missed the start of the first matches involved.

Many expressed frustration on social media after initially being unable to log in to some clubs' online iFollow access.

The EFL said the service was restored within 15 minutes and apologised to fans "for the inconvenience caused"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53124005

Yet another reason to give the thumbs up for RamsTV.  Cheers Mel.  ?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

"For fans who have waited since March to see a glimpse of their team in action, the afternoon began in frustrating fashion for many, after a technical issue hit the streaming of Championship games on the iFollow system.

The English Football League has enabled clubs to stream all the remaining matches - in light of no supporters being allowed to attend games - but some fans missed the start of the first matches involved.

Many expressed frustration on social media after initially being unable to log in to some clubs' online iFollow access.

The EFL said the service was restored within 15 minutes and apologised to fans "for the inconvenience caused"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53124005

Yet another reason to give the thumbs up for RamsTV.  Cheers Mel.  ?

It's true to say that RamsTV also had teething problems early on when there were large numbers watching, particularly with preseason friendlies and also I think there was a Middlesbrough game where they had no streaming service and hooked up as well. They have however been very good over the last couple of seasons with problems seeming to be particular and not general.

The football league really should have had all bases covered having had time to prepare.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

It's true to say that RamsTV also had teething problems early on when there were large numbers watching, particularly with preseason friendlies and also I think there was a Middlesbrough game where they had no streaming service and hooked up as well. They have however been very good over the last couple of seasons with problems seeming to be particular and not general.

The football league really should have had all bases covered having had time to prepare.

Perhaps Mel should show them how it's done (in exchange for dropping all charges against us). That would cheer up Steve Gibson!!

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

Of course.  I appreciate that.  Teething problems come with new tech, and new approaches, and should be expected, but as your last sentence refers, i-follow can't be putting yesterday's shenanigans down to "teething problems".

Anyway... I've bigged up RamsTV enough over the past 24 hours... don't want to big 'em up any more, as I don't wanna jinx it, as there's still 8 games to go!  ?

Archived