Rams TV, the verdict

ram59

Was worried about how it would handle such a large audience but I didn’t experience any lag all game long. Didn’t have any issues getting my code sorted or anything like that.

Owen Bradley is class as well, honestly makes you wonder what the BBC were thinking letting him go. He should have been the star of their show and Rams TV has killed off Radio Derby for me, only time I’ve listened to it all season is when I’ve actually been in the car.

I’m skint, don’t have Sky and chose RD for years because it was free. Decided to get Rams TV when I was abroad for the first 5 games with the intent to cancel when I got home but ended up keeping it. The thought of going back to listening to Ramage made me feel ill.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Owen Bradley is class as well, honestly makes you wonder what the BBC were thinking letting him go. He should have been the star of their show and Rams TV has killed off Radio Derby for me, only time I’ve listened to it all season is when I’ve actually been in the car.

Craig Ramage played a big part in killing off Radio Derby for me. Shane Nicholson is not mouthy or opinionated and much more pleasant on the ear. Owen does an excellent job.

37 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Craig Ramage played a big part in killing off Radio Derby for me. Shane Nicholson is not mouthy or opinionated and much more pleasant on the ear. Owen does an excellent job.

I think he was such an incredibly lazy and uninspired choice, shielded by the fact he was an ex-pro. He’s from a bygone era with little insight to add to the modern game. He was behind the times when I first remember listening to him in 2013 and the championship’s evolved so much even since then! He offered no tactical insight and his delivery was obnoxious.

Emblematic of the problem this country has with football punditry. One big boys club based around the idea that the only valid opinions are those of ex-players, which also bleeds into the misogynistic drivel you see online when Gabby Logan hosts MOTD or they have one of the Lionesses doing punditry. There are plenty of ex-player pundits that do a decent job but the likes of Roy Keane, Lawrenson and Ramage are just embarrassing.

Watched it on a laptop, didn’t connect it to TV but wouldn’t foresee an issue if I did. @OwenB87’s commentary is far better than the radio equivalent and I don’t mind Shinner either - prefer him to Edworthy who’s mispronunciation of the word “goal” is really irksome once you notice it. Don’t care much for fake crowd, and have been watching without for the games on sky, but each to their own on that one. Thought the stability was excellent as I doubt it the service will ever have been stress tested to this extent. 

First time user of Rams TV.

Logged on at 12.15 pm with no issues whatsoever and I watched the game on the PC. I was very much impressed with the picture quality, commentary and especially the replays.

I've opted to see every game for the remainder of the season, however, for next season, I'll probably pay for some of the away games that I can't manage to attend in person.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, ImARam2 said:

First time user of Rams TV.

Logged on at 12.15 pm with no issues whatsoever and I watched the game on the PC. I was very much impressed with the picture quality, commentary and especially the replays.

I've opted to see every game for the remainder of the season, however, for next season, I'll probably pay for some of the away games that I can't manage to attend in person.

that's assuming we can watch on rams tv next season . Won't be allowed in the PL. ?

Sith Happens

Heard Marinakis is planning a Forest version for next season,  but is going to put ours to shame, it will apparently have a reality TV element where fans can vote beforehand to predict the score,  but in a twist the score that gets the most votes will be the actual real final score too.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Heard Marinakis is planning a Forest version for next season,  but is going to put ours to shame, it will apparently have a reality TV element where fans can vote beforehand to predict the score,  but in a twist the score that gets the most votes will be the actual real final score too.

Sounds like an half baked idea that will go up in smoke.

Just watching the dirties falling apart again, the fake atmosphere on the sky game is really good. I dunno whether it's Sky or Cardiff who have supplied it. 

Maybe Rams TV could have a pre-recorded scene of the South stand celebrating a goal, inserting it after we score. 

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

Just watching the dirties falling apart again, the fake atmosphere on the sky game is really good. I dunno whether it's Sky or Cardiff who have supplied it. 

Maybe Rams TV could have a pre-recorded scene of the South stand celebrating a goal, inserting it after we score. 

Do you think? I’ve now heard “barmy army” and “since I was young” circa 7000 times. It’s just on repeat over and over again and is really annoyingly repetitively. The reaction to chances and goals is really poor too. 

As has been mentioned by others and the link to BBC article, I am really impressed by Rams TV compared with iFollow. Considering the majority of clubs have signed up to use it, you would have though iFollow would be ready to cope with the demand. Yet the EFL and their approved partner have let down a lot of fans. Meanwhile, Mel made an astute call rejecting the leagues recommended digital partner and instead invested in our own set up. The team used technical hiccups early on to quality control and actually make a good service.

I thought yesterdays stream was clear and easy to use. Audio was good, image was crisp and camera angles and replays were everything you would expect. Commentary team did well, Derby focused commentary without it being bias to the point of embarrassing. 

Looking forward to the other matches. Well done to the team at the club and hope it carries on running as smoothly.

Morning everyone,

Thanks for all the comments on Saturday’s broadcast. We’re all thrilled that the vast majority seemed to have enjoyed it so much (though I’m sure the result/Louie Sibley were the biggest reasons for that!).

The RamsTV crew have been working incredibly hard to get things up to this standard. Huge shout-out to the IT team at Pride Park too who made sure the technical issues were kept to a minimum. We’re so far ahead of the pack on the production side of things, as iFollow’s issues as the weekend showed.

Touch wood, we won’t have any issues going forward!

To respond to a couple of specifics that have been mentioned;

- The crowd noise on Saturday was something we didn’t have any control over, as it was being played in-bowl at the Den, We’ll see how it goes elsewhere the rest of the season.

- Shane & I are commentating “off-tube”, watching monitors at Pride Park. That’s how we cover all away games. Shinner is an absolute dream to work with, by the way.

- I had done bits & bobs of football commentary before joining RamsTV, but not much. I’d probably done five or six Derby matches for BBC Radio Derby (that was a major frustration, actually), plus some Burton Albion & Mansfield Town fixtures. I’d certainly not done any TV commentary before, and it’s a very different beast to radio. I think (and hope) I’m improving but I’ve got a lot of work to do.

- Since I have taken over first-team commentary duties at the start of the season we haven’t gone back in-vision post-game, and have always pushed the interviews in to Added Time on Facebook. It’s partly a logistical thing, and partly so as many fans as possible can see the interviews.

Happy to answer any more questions people have as best I can. Thanks again for all the kind words. Credit really goes to Mel and the RamsTV team behind the scenes – we’re all pleased people are finally getting a chance to see what we do!

Hope I haven’t cursed us now !

12 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Morning everyone,

Thanks for all the comments on Saturday’s broadcast. We’re all thrilled that the vast majority seemed to have enjoyed it so much (though I’m sure the result/Louie Sibley were the biggest reasons for that!).

The RamsTV crew have been working incredibly hard to get things up to this standard. Huge shout-out to the IT team at Pride Park too who made sure the technical issues were kept to a minimum. We’re so far ahead of the pack on the production side of things, as iFollow’s issues as the weekend showed.

Touch wood, we won’t have any issues going forward!

To respond to a couple of specifics that have been mentioned;

- The crowd noise on Saturday was something we didn’t have any control over, as it was being played in-bowl at the Den, We’ll see how it goes elsewhere the rest of the season.

- Shane & I are commentating “off-tube”, watching monitors at Pride Park. That’s how we cover all away games. Shinner is an absolute dream to work with, by the way.

- I had done bits & bobs of football commentary before joining RamsTV, but not much. I’d probably done five or six Derby matches for BBC Radio Derby (that was a major frustration, actually), plus some Burton Albion & Mansfield Town fixtures. I’d certainly not done any TV commentary before, and it’s a very different beast to radio. I think (and hope) I’m improving but I’ve got a lot of work to do.

- Since I have taken over first-team commentary duties at the start of the season we haven’t gone back in-vision post-game, and have always pushed the interviews in to Added Time on Facebook. It’s partly a logistical thing, and partly so as many fans as possible can see the interviews.

Happy to answer any more questions people have as best I can. Thanks again for all the kind words. Credit really goes to Mel and the RamsTV team behind the scenes – we’re all pleased people are finally getting a chance to see what we do!

Hope I haven’t cursed us now !

Any chance you can reveal the viewing figures?

Was very impressed at the ease of access. Even managed to get my 85 year old Dad watching on his iPad from a distance. No buffering, no drop outs, commentary was perfectly fine Owen.

The only very minor issue I had was seemingly no mention or display of added time in each half. I understand if the host TV cameras don't show the boards (which I think was the case on Sat) then you are as in the dark as we are but if you could find a way to get that info going forward that would be great. The tension in those last 5 mins was pretty unbearable after they scored their second.

No doubt it will be easier at Pride Park but away will be a little more testing for you I guess. Get Ed Dawes to text you as he is at the games I believe.

Archived