Live football thread.

Rev

2 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Leicester are abysmal.

They might as well all be playing in the same colour because every time Leicester get the ball they give it straight back to Liverpool. Maddison looks out of his depth and Barnes and Vardy should have probably stayed at home.

Booing at half time. Fans need another stint in League 1.

Leicester are down unless they can get a result at Newcastle.

If they can’t catch Forest and start the final day behind Everton, then they are toast.

What we need are shock wins for Leicester and Leeds next weekend to make the final day an exciting one.

It’s just not going to happen though is it.

On paper Leicester and Leeds had far easier run-ins than Forest. They can only blame themselves. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

On paper Leicester and Leeds had far easier run-ins than Forest. They can only blame themselves. 

Not if the paper is the form table (over the most recent 10 matches) and the run-in is limited to the final fixtures (basically the “Big Sam” arrival onwards); as of this morning it has Leicester’s final 4 opponents of the season in positions 13, 2, 3 and 10.

Leeds’ final four: 1, 3, 10 and 14.

Forest’s final four: 20, 16, 6 and 8.

Of course you may have been referring to a longer run-in, but Forest were on a dreadful run until they beat Brighton in the sixth-to-last game of the season. That was never meant to happen (!) - by the form guide anyway - and gave them the shot in the arm they needed.

530609DB-CBB3-46B5-A02B-FD8FB4941A46.png

Hope we don't join them, but very happy to see Leicester relegated. I've said it before, but they've undoubtedly got the worst fans in the league. Their recent purple patch has clearly gone straight to many of their heads.

Less likely to have their idiots smashing up family pubs in Nottingham town centre and assaulting our players, if they're down in the championship.. As a club (and a fanbase) they've collectively shat their pants in the last 18 months. 

Good riddance. 

7 hours ago, jameso said:

Not if the paper is the form table (over the most recent 10 matches) and the run-in is limited to the final fixtures (basically the “Big Sam” arrival onwards); as of this morning it has Leicester’s final 4 opponents of the season in positions 13, 2, 3 and 10.

Leeds’ final four: 1, 3, 10 and 14.

Forest’s final four: 20, 16, 6 and 8.

Of course you may have been referring to a longer run-in, but Forest were on a dreadful run until they beat Brighton in the sixth-to-last game of the season. That was never meant to happen (!) - by the form guide anyway - and gave them the shot in the arm they needed.

530609DB-CBB3-46B5-A02B-FD8FB4941A46.png

I was going back five or six games.

After Leeds beat Forest, they had a run of games against Palace (H), Leicester (H), Fulham (A) and Bournemouth (A). With 5 points from that lot they would have pulled clear. They got one.

In the meantime Forest had harder fixtures and picked up more points.

Leicester had a run of Southampton (A), Palace (A), Villa (H), Bournemouth (H), Wolves (H), Everton (H), Fulham (A) and Leeds (A). They picked up just 5 points. They should have been looking at 10-12 at least.

34 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I was going back five or six games.

After Leeds beat Forest, they had a run of games against Palace (H), Leicester (H), Fulham (A) and Bournemouth (A). With 5 points from that lot they would have pulled clear. They got one.

In the meantime Forest had harder fixtures and picked up more points.

Leicester had a run of Southampton (A), Palace (A), Villa (H), Bournemouth (H), Wolves (H), Everton (H), Fulham (A) and Leeds (A). They picked up just 5 points. They should have been looking at 10-12 at least.

That's fair enough. In fact Forest had 4 consecutive matches against teams in the (current) top 7 of the form guide, and even managed to win one of them (the Brighton game). "Only" 3 points but at this rate a season-defining win.

As you say, the other teams have made an absolute hash of things. Leeds had an almost-as-difficult set of fixtures, in the middle of which was the Leicester game which they really had to win, but didn't. One does wonder whether Allardyce might have pulled them out of the hole had he come in before then.

Strange old season for Leicester - I expected it would click with the players they have available, but one win in their last fourteen is abject form. Can't bring myself to watch one of their games in full but all the available highlights indicate they've been missing "defenders" who know how to defend!

5 minutes ago, jameso said:

That's fair enough. In fact Forest had 4 consecutive matches against teams in the (current) top 7 of the form guide, and even managed to win one of them (the Brighton game). "Only" 3 points but at this rate a season-defining win.

As you say, the other teams have made an absolute hash of things. Leeds had an almost-as-difficult set of fixtures, in the middle of which was the Leicester game which they really had to win, but didn't. One does wonder whether Allardyce might have pulled them out of the hole had he come in before then.

Strange old season for Leicester - I expected it would click with the players they have available, but one win in their last fourteen is abject form. Can't bring myself to watch one of their games in full but all the available highlights indicate they've been missing "defenders" who know how to defend!

Forest got the luck of having Brighton on Wednesday after doing extra time at Wembley on the Sunday.

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

Forest got the luck of having Brighton on Wednesday after doing extra time at Wembley on the Sunday.

True - so not ideal for Brighton - although I thought the alternative way of looking at that was that they (Forest) had a tough match against an in-form Brighton who only had the league (and a place in Europe) left to go for and who'd had 72 hours rest at least!

Edited by Guest

I’m amazed Leicester are in this position after they beat Villa away 4-2 and Spurs at home 4-1 in consecutive games.

They were up to about 13th at that point with 24 points. They’ve literally only taken 6 points from their past 14 games - Billy Davies had a better record than that with our 11-point team.

Leicester finished 5th and won the FA Cup two years ago. They were 8th and in the semi finals of a European competition a year ago. Now they are two games from relegation.

Amazing implosion. They were once the model to follow for a club of our size. It just goes to show how hard it is to become a genuine mainstay in the PL and I am sure Brighton, Brentford and Fulham will see this as a warning.

You constantly have to evolve. You can’t really stand still and three or four poor strategic decisions can quickly undo getting so many decisions right.

Sacking Rodgers with no succession plan and 10 games to go and stumbling into the arms of Dean Smith is just so unlike Leicester and not what we’ve come to expect.

Something tells me they could even find the Championship difficult to navigate.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Leicester finished 5th and won the FA Cup two years ago. They were 8th and in the semi finals of a European competition a year ago. Now they are two games from relegation.

Amazing implosion. They were once the model to follow for a club of our size. It just goes to show how hard it is to become a genuine mainstay in the PL and I am sure Brighton, Brentford and Fulham will see this as a warning.

You constantly have to evolve. You can’t really stand still and three or four poor strategic decisions can quickly undo getting so many decisions right.

Sacking Rodgers with no succession plan and 10 games to go and stumbling into the arms of Dean Smith is just so unlike Leicester and not what we’ve come to expect.

Something tells me they could even find the Championship difficult to navigate.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Just now, ram59 said:

Luton and Sunderland are playing with pace, something we need to aspire to next season.

Will be interesting to see if Luton can keep the intensity going. So fast and hard working. Sunderland look the better technically, and might be more of a threat if they get tired legs. Good game. Proper football.