Live football thread.

Rev

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Oh, do naff off you irritating wannabee contrarian with your attempts at faux controversy.....

Go on then. How many times did Poland touch the ball in the first half...? They were totally outclassed 

easy win. Good old Gareth another masterclass in management. 

12 minutes ago, Derbados said:

He’s awful, he just lumbers round the pitch and does his finest Max Bird impression passing backwards and sideways, hardly ever takes a risk. He overhits his passes and blasts them into the receiving player and more than once they’ve miscontrolled it 

I don’t get him at all

He wins the ball a lot and he’s tidy. All I can think is that we’re playing him now so that he’s settled into the team for the Euros for when we play genuine class teams. 

Even then I think Hughes would offer more. 

Good win for England, Poland were stubborn. I never understand wanting a player to score against England just because he plays for your club, bizzare (unless you’re not English of course). Same people will be singing “it’s coming home in the summer” 

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Good win for England, Poland were stubborn. I never understand wanting a player to score against England just because he plays for your club, bizzare (unless you’re not English of course). Same people will be singing “it’s coming home in the summer” 

What about wanting them to score a hat-trick in an 8-3 win for England? ?

Edited by cannable

1 minute ago, cannable said:

What about wanting them to score a hat-trick in an 8-3 win for England? ?

I can buy into that ?

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Can’t believe “our Ashley” and Wrighty are trying to put the blame for Poland’s goal on Pope.... utter ballcocks......

No I think they have a point .

Its a misplaced pass to be honest. 

Stones should just put his foot through it though. 

I don’t think Pope is as good as the lad at Everton with his distribution 

Got the job done, that'll do.

Got to see more from England going forward vs tougher opposition though. I thought Mount played like he did for the majority of his time with us too - a couple of flashes of quality but just not quite at it, need more from him and Foden in the bigger games to come.

Joz's cameo was pretty good, should come back with a bit of confidence after a very good international break. 

21 minutes ago, Curtains said:

No I think they have a point .

Its a misplaced pass to be honest. 

Stones should just put his foot through it though. 

I don’t think Pope is as good as the lad at Everton with his distribution 

If Stones can’t do the right thing in that situation, he has no place pulling on an international shirt. The pass was fine if he’d been concentrating on doing his job rather than showing off his skills...

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

If Stones can’t do the right thing in that situation, he has no place pulling on an international shirt. The pass was fine if he’d been concentrating on doing his job rather than showing off his skills...

Depends what you mean by fine .

Needed to make it easy for Stones to get on front foot going forward and not him having to check back to get the ball .

After that Stones should do better but it didn’t matter  as he set up Maguire for the winner .

Pope looked all over the place to me with his distribution,

Edited by Curtains

I think that modern players are so conditioned to keep the ball that common sense has been stifled. From the championship to international level players are coached and then ordered to try and pass along the back line, entice the press then look for the gaps and counter quickly......all very good and great when it works.

Sometimes though, you have to trust your instinct and gut feeling and leather the fecker into space.

18 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Can’t believe “our Ashley” and Wrighty are trying to put the blame for Poland’s goal on Pope.... utter ballcocks......

I think it is a combination of negative play to pass it back to Pope to begin with, a poor pass by Pope and Stones thinking he had longer than what he had. He looked over his left shoulder when he got the ball, the Polish striker was a decent amount of distance away from him, when Stones turned he striker was closer than he expected which led to a heavy touch.

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think that modern players are so conditioned to keep the ball that common sense has been stifled. From the championship to international level players are coached and then ordered to try and pass along the back line, entice the press then look for the gaps and counter quickly......all very good and great when it works.

Sometimes though, you have to trust your instinct and gut feeling and leather the fecker into space.

I don't mind passing it around the back to draw the opposition out, but you need to make sure the players are comfortable doing that. If not you need to adjust your game plan. If, like England last night, your keeper isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet, you need to only use him if he is the only option, too many times last night Pope was receiving the ball when he shouldn't, the goal being the prime example.