Live football thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

So if offside is black and white, then by isn’t it an instant decision. It should even be possible to fully automate offside, like goal line technology, theoretically. Then there’s no controversy or delay, a player knows when they’re stood offside because a big light flashes in his head or something. Probably ultimately cheaper than employing another ref in stockley park. 

by comparing to cricket and tennis, I mean they players (or captains or managers) have a right to appeal, if they genuinely feel that an injustice has been missed. Then the refs can analyse it from all angles. If it’s upheld, they keep their appeal, if not, they loose their right to appeal, say one life each half. But I appreciate that would be quite a big change.

it’d be interesting to see a situation like last night, where the team concedes a last minute goal, but still have an appeal remaining, so they just roll the dice and say check it again, for anything (they’d have to specify what they’re claiming for though). You’d at least know it’s coming, cos they’ve hit the one appeal left, might as well use it.

var wasn’t brought in cos people were sick of the mistakes that refs made. I think everyone accepted that mistakes are made, and it’s easy when you’re sat in a studio with half an hour to analyse it, but the ones they wanted to eradicate were the unforgivably obvious mistakes. Like someone being 2 yards offside, or punching the oppositions when the refs not looking etc.

It seems weird to me how much they’ve veered away from the ‘clear and obvious’ vision. I honestly think there’s an anterior motive to justify the investment as much as possible.

55 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think you miss my point - I'd rather live with the errors than stop all the time to try to get decisions right. Now, that's just me.

Whether VAR gets more things right or wrong isn't the issue, the issue is it's very intervention ruins the experience far more than the ref getting one wrong ever did.

But that's just me, and I'm clearly a wrong minority. Seeing as we'll never be rid of it now,I can only hope it gets less invasive and better implemented.

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really, I've not seen them. Do you have a link?

I think the best way to go in football is use technology for black and white decisions only.

So offside, goal-line, maybe even corners and throw-ins if it can be done quick enough. 

But anything such as handballs, fouls etc. which is subjective, go with the referees decision.

The time it takes to make decisions is clearly an issue. And it may come to a point where they scrap it due to that being the case.

I make the point that it’s far easier in cricket and tennis as they aren’t playing to a clock. There are multiple breaks in rugby or NFL to review decisions which isn’t detrimental to the game. Even Ice Hockey, which is incredibly fast-paced in action, has multiple breaks.

Football is just different.

Sorry Mac I don’t have a link. I may have mis-read and confused it with a recent an article on the PL having fewer red cards and fouls as opposed to other European leagues.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Went to my pit last night with six minutes to go, Stoke three up, I thought, watch this end up 3-3. Checked score five minutes later, close call. Not sure what the crowd was and maybe the red seats exaggerate the empties but looked a poor crowd. 

2 hours ago, SKRam said:

Went to my pit last night with six minutes to go, Stoke three up, I thought, watch this end up 3-3. Checked score five minutes later, close call. Not sure what the crowd was and maybe the red seats exaggerate the empties but looked a poor crowd. 

17,427, Stoke are massive.?