Ikechi Anya......

MidWalesRam

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we'll never know the real ins and outs of his situation, I remember there being rumblings about his contract and payments, and that he'd turned down loan moves. However, he has to go down as a stinker of a signing.

It's weird that it was so bad. I always thought it looked a bad deal at £4m but might have been an ok deal at £1.5m (at the point we signed him). Versatile utility wide player who could cover full back as well as winger, pretty quick, some skill, well liked at Watford, pretty handy for Scotland as well...

but, persistent injuries, never showed any good form, seemed happy to not play and pick up his pay. Goodbye.

Always felt that he was a far better player than we give him credit for being. Perhaps he could or should have gone out on loan but without knowing for sure whether any offers came in for him, it seems deeply unfair that folk have criticised him for 'stealing a living' etc. How many of us would walk away from a 5 figure a week contract, after all? Not too many, I'd venture.

Shocking business by the club.

...Why the hell they didn't offer him a new contract, I'll never know!  ?

In all seriousness, he never seemed that bad to me, from what little I remember seeing of him.
Shame it didn't work out, but as I'm not privy to whatever goes on behind the scenes at the club (if indeed anything did?), then he goes with best wishes.  Whatever he earned out of our club cannot be blamed on him.

And so ends one of the greatest Derby County player careers of all time... I’ll never forget that single goal he scored for us ?    

In all seriousness, I actually rated him as a utility player who could cover a number of positions. It seems strange we never used him more. For whatever reason, his face simply didn’t fit. He will probably find another club now, perhaps abroad, who get the best out of him and we will be left wondering quite what happened while he was here.

3 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Yes wish him well, not his fault it didn’t work out 

True enough better players then him have come and gone and not worked out,however his reluctance to try and find football in the way of a loan is a disgrace,quite happy to play under 23s football and take a massive wage.Serves him right if he cant find another club although Derby County need to shoulder some of the blame for offering such a ridicules contract to a mediocre player, you would of thought we had learnt our lesson by now

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I don’t blame him but it was a shocking signing in series of shocking signings.

Absolutely this ^. I wish him well but from day 1 I just didn’t see a professional footballer of the type that we needed. For me his purchase told me everything I needed to know about the manager who thought he was worth £4m and who packed Chris Martin off to a rival club. Cookin’ Flueless. ?

There were a few promising signs at the start when he was actually played alongside Vydra and you could see they knew each others' game from their time at Watford.

It could have been a different story if Pearson had stayed, or even back in 2018 under Rowett when he got a chance against as a late sub against Millwall and saw a goal wrongly ruled out for out for offside.

I expect he'll go abroad again now to find a country / club with a culture more suited to him.

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Always felt that he was a far better player than we give him credit for being. Perhaps he could or should have gone out on loan but without knowing for sure whether any offers came in for him, it seems deeply unfair that folk have criticised him for 'stealing a living' etc. How many of us would walk away from a 5 figure a week contract, after all? Not too many, I'd venture.

I’m sure if we went back far enough you’d find posts of me raving about him signing. I was really impressed with him at Watford and thought we’d picked up a bargain if I’m honest.

A product of the mess we got ourselves into and not a cause of it.

I for one am delighted he's gone. I don't blame him for taking the money, but I have zero sympathy for him, I'm glad the club is finally rid of him. Huge wages for zero contribution, one of the worst signings in our history.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Shocking business by the club.

...Why the hell they didn't offer him a new contract, I'll never know!  ?

In all seriousness, he never seemed that bad to me, from what little I remember seeing of him.
Shame it didn't work out, but as I'm not privy to whatever goes on behind the scenes at the club (if indeed anything did?), then he goes with best wishes.  Whatever he earned out of our club cannot be blamed on him.

If as rumoured/reported he turned down loan offers where another club would have contributed to his wages, then yes I think he can be blamed.

Archived