Ikechi Anya......

MidWalesRam

3 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

How do you know he was on this wage? If this is true then it just highlights the recruitment problems we have had as a club. 

It was quoted in the football league world article. No idea if it's true, but I'd imagain they've seen something to put it in public.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/10/2020 at 11:03, GenBr said:

I personally don't think he ever intended to go anywhere after us. 32 and constant injury problems. its not like he will be homeless after the millions we paid him. I assume he will just retire now.

May be mistaken but think the guy was studying law, can't blame him for taking the money but says a lot about his character and ethics that he wasnt prepared to consider being out.on loan or try and improve his position within in the  club .

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

May be mistaken but think the guy was studying law, can't blame him for taking the money but says a lot about his character and ethics that he wasnt prepared to consider being out.on loan or try and improve his position within in the  club .

Ethics has nothing to do with it. If i signed a contract with my employer and they then tried to force me to go and live and work halfway across the country i'd turn them down as well. As far as we are aware he never made himself unavailable to play for the club and we can't ask anymore than that.

20 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Ethics has nothing to do with it. If i signed a contract with my employer and they then tried to force me to go and live and work halfway across the country i'd turn them down as well. As far as we are aware he never made himself unavailable to play for the club and we can't ask anymore than that.

Think if somebody paid me to do a job that became quite evident i wasn't up to. Personally out of self respect,pride i would do anything to prove them wrong and if I couldn't I wouldn't want to be there.

Not saying he did anything wrong just different ethics

31 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Think if somebody paid me to do a job that became quite evident i wasn't up to. Personally out of self respect,pride i would do anything to prove them wrong and if I couldn't I wouldn't want to be there.

Not saying he did anything wrong just different ethics

Yes definitely different ethics. I certainly wouldn't do anything above and beyond for my employer. They have no loyalty to me and i have no loyalty to them - my main aim in any job is to squeeze as much money as possible from the company for as little stress as possible.

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

It's not like he's from Derby ffs. Truth is he was happy not playing.

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Yes definitely different ethics. I certainly wouldn't do anything above and beyond for my employer. They have no loyalty to me and i have no loyalty to them - my main aim in any job is to squeeze as much money as possible from the company for as little stress as possible.

You just presume to make it to the top (ish) in such a competitive area, you would be hardwired to work hard, have the drive to fulfill every last drop of your potential and have a huge will to win games/titles...the attitude that you are happy to sit and take the cash seems at odds with what would get you there in the first place. 

Its such a short career he really has frittered it away. Nice pot of money saved up, can't argue with that, but doesn't mean it's what I would have done or that I have to respect him. 

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not like he's from Derby ffs. Truth is he was happy not playing.

You have no idea if he was happy playing or not. You can say anything if you want to just make stuff up.

I also have no idea why "being from Derby" is at all relevant here. He agreed a contract to work in Derby and presumably moved his family to the area. I fail to see why he should then be happy to move hundreds of miles away again halfway through said contract. I will say again - i'm sure it's nice up there on the moral highground, but i very much doubt that many on here would be so happy to blithely up root themselves and family ever couple of years if they didn't have to.

24 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

You just presume to make it to the top (ish) in such a competitive area, you would be hardwired to work hard, have the drive to fulfill every last drop of your potential and have a huge will to win games/titles...the attitude that you are happy to sit and take the cash seems at odds with what would get you there in the first place. 

Its such a short career he really has frittered it away. Nice pot of money saved up, can't argue with that, but doesn't mean it's what I would have done or that I have to respect him. 

Much like RoyMac you presume he doesn't want to play. What that is based on i have no idea. Just because he didn't want to go on loan somewhere else is not the same as not wanting to play at all.

Maybe when he was a young man he'd be more driven, but in sporting terms he's in the twilight of his career. I would also disagree that all player's at this level have to be particularly dedicated or driven to get to this standard. My own opinion, but a lot of them just treat it like any other job - they drink heavily mid season, most don't put any more hours in than they absolutely have to, they make no particularly great sacrifices and a lot show absolutely zero interest in getting to the very top. The older they get the less interest they have.

I'm guessing this is a generational thing judging by the people replying to me. Companies must have been a lot better back in the day to engender such selfless loyalty. Job = money to me and i don't care how it's done if its legal and within the terms of the contract - it does not bother me at all.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Truth is he was happy not playing.

I was told by somoene who coached kids at the club he didn't like playing, but loved and worked really hard in training. It was contrasted to the usual problem of players wanting to play on saturday but not wanting to train hard.

9 hours ago, GenBr said:

Much like RoyMac you presume he doesn't want to play. What that is based on i have no idea. Just because he didn't want to go on loan somewhere else is not the same as not wanting to play at all.

Maybe when he was a young man he'd be more driven, but in sporting terms he's in the twilight of his career. I would also disagree that all player's at this level have to be particularly dedicated or driven to get to this standard. My own opinion, but a lot of them just treat it like any other job - they drink heavily mid season, most don't put any more hours in than they absolutely have to, they make no particularly great sacrifices and a lot show absolutely zero interest in getting to the very top. The older they get the less interest they have.

I'm guessing this is a generational thing judging by the people replying to me. Companies must have been a lot better back in the day to engender such selfless loyalty. Job = money to me and i don't care how it's done if its legal and within the terms of the contract - it does not bother me at all.

I come from a point of view presuming he wants to play! But if he has been told (on multiple occasions by multiple people) 'sorry you aren't going to figure much, it may make sense to find another club' and I had an agent who's job was to find me another club, then I think I would be pretty open to that??

For starters my skin would be too thin to hang around like a bad smell when the club have clearly moved on. 

Not sure about your job, but I agree I get what I can out of it... And it isn't £20k a week.. And millions of 5 year olds aren't in the rain practicing to get my job, being ferried around night after night, shouted at, coached and then taken back to a bedroom covered in pictures of other people doing my job...he must have been very driven at some point and he will be aware how lucky he is, it isn't just any old job. As you can imagine no one will be stopping me in the street /pub to regal me about my job, so I  wouldn't expect him to get that treatment either... And I'm sure he will go back to his mansion and give not a damn about it. 

Archived