Ikechi Anya......

MidWalesRam

Sith Happens

We made bad signings during that period but I am always happy to forgive the Butterfield and Johnson signings (I liked Johnson anyway), as we lost both Hughes and Bryson to long term injuries, to save the season we HAD to do something at short notice and the fee's probably reflected the fact the selling clubs knew we needed to sign someone.

In addition Mel went on record at the time to say the fee's were, at the time, covered by the insurance policies for the long term loss of Hughes and Bryson.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

We made bad signings during that period but I am always happy to forgive the Butterfield and Johnson signings (I liked Johnson anyway), as we lost both Hughes and Bryson to long term injuries, to save the season we HAD to do something at short notice and the fee's probably reflected the fact the selling clubs knew we needed to sign someone.

In addition Mel went on record at the time to say the fee's were, at the time, covered by the insurance policies for the long term loss of Hughes and Bryson.

The transfer fee's were not covered. The wages of Will and Craig were covered by the insurance.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Everyone seems to forget we'd courted butters all summer, I think our first offer was about £1.25m and to be fair, he'd been a star player for Huddersfield the season previous and was quite good his first season here. Admittedly, hudders knew they had us over a barrel after Bryson and Hughes went down. But the toe sucking thing seemed to break his spirit...

3 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Agreed. Not quite sure why he's been dragged into this debate. Despite the fact that the deal brokered for him  wasn't ideal for either party, the lad tried his hardest to make it work and never hid in games. I think once he was brought off the naughty step by FL he was pivotal in getting us over the line and into the play offs.  I haven't got a bad word to say about the bloke tbh.

The debate is about the clubs profligacy, mismanagement and whilst Anya is emblematic of our recent past, there are simply other examples. 

Looked at simply, we are still in the championship, and have torched Mels savings to stand still.

And now we have the FFP issue to consider which, when you strip away the flim-flam, has at it's heart many poor investment decisions like Bradley who ultimately contributed 6m plus wages to our losses.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The debate is about the clubs profligacy, mismanagement and whilst Anya is emblematic of our recent past, there are simply other examples. 

Looked at simply, we are still in the championship, and have torched Mels savings to stand still.

And now we have the FFP issue to consider which, when you strip away the flim-flam, has at it's heart many poor investment decisions like Bradley who ultimately contributed 6m plus wages to our losses.

I get what you're saying but I still don't think BJ is comparable in the sense that we still got some value out of him in playing time. Yes he was shoe horned into the side at times but Anya was an unmitigated disaster of a signing that offered very little value in regards to playing time. A simplistic view but I am a very simple person. ?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Exactly, too many examples to mention.  The scale of the bad investment is eye watering.  When you consider how Clough had to manage on a very tight budget, at the same time being tasked with getting rid of Jewell's dross.  For all the big spending  since, we are no better better off, in terms of league position, but worse off financially. Does make you wonder... 

6 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I get what you're saying but I still don't think BJ is comparable in the sense that we still got some value out of him in playing time. Yes he was shoe horned into the side at times but Anya was an unmitigated disaster of a signing that offered very little value in regards to playing time. A simplistic view but I am a very simple person. ?

You cant get much simpler than 0-6 = minus 6.....

On 14/06/2020 at 19:14, Ellafella said:

Absolutely this ^. I wish him well but from day 1 I just didn’t see a professional footballer of the type that we needed. For me his purchase told me everything I needed to know about the manager who thought he was worth £4m and who packed Chris Martin off to a rival club. Cookin’ Flueless. ?

Same manager bought Vydra and we sold him 2 years later for nearly £ double what we paid Watford. So big nige’s net was about +£2.5m This turn funded Frankie to buy flozoon ?. When will he get released ?

23 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Same manager bought Vydra and we sold him 2 years later for nearly £ double what we paid Watford. So big nige’s net was about +£2.5m This turn funded Frankie to buy flozoon ?. When will he get released ?

He scored against Stoke the other day. Maybe getting confidence playing without the crowd on his back will help him. We aren't going to release him, releasing is hell on FFP.

23 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Fair points 

On 16/06/2020 at 16:57, Paul71 said:

We were already after Butterfield and we ostracised Dawkins who put in 2 MOTM performances in midfield from three games the back end of 14/15

• 3 months later...

Two seasons without playing in the 1st team and being paid £27,000 per week (£2,808,000) is unforgivable.

If there were several transfer offers he should have gone and that's just cheating the club, with the club just as gullible in allowing it to happen.

Haven’t got enough time left on this planet to wait for the site to load, I will however say that Anya was completely in his right to pick up every penny his contract stated in my opinion and I’m guessing this post and link is nothing more than another stick to beat him with. ?

26 minutes ago, Jram said:

So we can only speculate that no other club would match his wages, but i think that's probably a safe bet. You're right it's sickening. Could probably have kept the north east corner of pride park if it wasn't for him.

The article however gets one important point wrong, he was a decent player for Watford, not for Derby. He was pretty ineffective playing for us. The article also doesn't speculate on why he didn't play at all these last 2 seasons, it always seemed to me something beyond "not selected because he's poo" was going on.

26 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

Two seasons without playing in the 1st team and being paid £27,000 per week (£2,808,000) is unforgivable.

If there were several transfer offers he should have gone and that's just cheating the club, with the club just as gullible in allowing it to happen.

I would have trained hard, tried to get in the team and took the wages. I would then have trained to be an agent or similar.

29 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

Not taking a transfer which reduces your income I can understand, but could we not have got him a loan and at least taken a bit of the burden off. Even if the loaning club were only paying £5k a week it'd have helped....

I see no problem with him continuing to see out his contract. Unless he broke the terms of said contract and made himself unavailable to play then he is well within his rights to stay until its completion. It is our clubs stupid fault for signing such ludicrous contracts with players who have already had injury problems before they even came to us. Not Anya's fault we wanted to piddle our money away like that.

Archived