Alan Hinton

RamFan13

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Mazzaram said:

What are you trying to accuse me of exactly? I made no reference to his tweets. I do not use Twitter or Facebook - I am a dinosaur when it comes to social media. I said in my earlier post that Alan Hinton was a boyhood hero of mine. He wasn't blessed with lightning pace, but that didn't matter. He could sling pinpoint crosses in from almost anywhere, and he had an absolute thunderbolt of a shot. I merely described the incident that tarnished his reputation for me, an incident that happened when I was about 14. I was young and impressionable and didn't realise how much the 'terrace humour' (and the fans' nickname for him) got to him. I wouldn't act in that way today. FWIW, I am approaching retirement and I won't be submitting any further applications. (But thank you for your no doubt well-intentioned advice).

I doubt he's accusing you of anything, and instead is referring to a different occasion altogether.

11 hours ago, Sidd10 said:

I've always wondered why he puts so many question marks on his tweets? Is it an addiction? No place for racism anyway, no matter how old and confused you are?

There has been a trend, probably in the last 6 yrs or so, where many people have taken to turning a statement into a question when speaking english. I think it originated in the USA, where bad english is the norm. 

the habit of making statements sound like questions is called the upward inflection, high-rising terminal or simply "uptalk", 

The habit of ending statements with a stress that makes them sound a bit like questions is one that winds many people up, including me.  California claim it started there around 1990 but over here many people take it as a given that the speech pattern arrived from Australia, going so far as to dub it the Australian Question Intonation. Some laymen go even further and trace the shift in British speech patterns to the arrival of soap opera Neighbours on British television in 1986. No one is sure. 

He’ll always be one of my favourite Rams of all time ???

Id like to believe that it was something he posted without understanding how it would be seen, especially after the tragic case of George Floyd. I think he has learned a big lesson on racial equality and needs to consider his wording in the future.

1 hour ago, Mazzaram said:

What are you trying to accuse me of exactly? I made no reference to his tweets. I do not use Twitter or Facebook - I am a dinosaur when it comes to social media. I said in my earlier post that Alan Hinton was a boyhood hero of mine. He wasn't blessed with lightning pace, but that didn't matter. He could sling pinpoint crosses in from almost anywhere, and he had an absolute thunderbolt of a shot. I merely described the incident that tarnished his reputation for me, an incident that happened when I was about 14. I was young and impressionable and didn't realise how much the 'terrace humour' (and the fans' nickname for him) got to him. I wouldn't act in that way today. FWIW, I am approaching retirement and I won't be submitting any further applications. (But thank you for your no doubt well-intentioned advice).

I think you’ve misinterpreted his post. He wasn’t trying to have a go; rather, he was making a general point related to the conversation about how employers often check candidates’ social media history to see if there are any Hinton-esque tweets.

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

the habit of making statements sound like questions is called the upward inflection, high-rising terminal or simply "uptalk", 

The habit of ending statements with a stress that makes them sound a bit like questions is one that winds many people up, including me.  California claim it started there around 1990 but over here many people take it as a given that the speech pattern arrived from Australia, going so far as to dub it the Australian Question Intonation. Some laymen go even further and trace the shift in British speech patterns to the arrival of soap opera Neighbours on British television in 1986. No one is sure. 

Thanks for that ? I wasn't aware of the history.  I also find it irritating. 

2 hours ago, Mazzaram said:

No offence intended at all. It was a totally different cricket match!

Neither, I am certain, did Alan intend to upset a 14 year old lad who just happened to hit a raw nerve.

I recall being at a match where a player was hurt and 'fans' started chanting 'Bring on the Bostik!' A fairly inocuous joke. One fan went ballistic and screamed at the crowd. "Shut up! He could be badly hurt!" He wasn't and this was at a time when Bremner etc made a meal of the slightest contact. Plus ça change!

I agree with you about Alan and am proud to have taken this photo.

PS at least you got to talk to him and I'm sure he never meant to upset you either!

57AC97DD-6914-4C20-81C4-474C82FB9607.jpeg

7 hours ago, Sweetness34 said:

I agree with you totally. Otherwise, at what point in our lives are we considered the finished article? If our opinions at say 18 years of age are totally different to when we're 50, are we still judged on what we thought 32 years earlier?

And I'm not just talking racism. I don't think I was racist at 18 personally but I did have opinions on other subjects around that time that I cringe about now. For example, during the 2003 Iraq invasion, I thought Shock and Awe was cool. Now at 34 years of age, I think it was totally wrong.

I'd prefer to be judged on my opinions today than years ago and I don't think anybody should be  denied the opportunity to learn from mistakes, no matter the subject.

Completely agree... really annoys me how people are picked up on stuff from years/decades ago) especially when  it was socially acceptable (rightly or wrongly) when it happened. The obvious example being Jimmy Fallon as Chris Rock. Nobody batted an eyelid when it happened... obviously now as a society we have quite rightly improved but there are people calling for his head who 20 years ago were laughing at it. Humans are thickle and remember when it suits them.

3 hours ago, Mazzaram said:

i would have thought it was pretty obvious the a man would not be impressed being called by a girls name.

4 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

I remember being among the Rams' players chatting at a change of innings against a Sports writers' XI. 

One said "Where's Alan? (Hinton) the other said "Not seen him since his innings. Reckon he's off somewhere sulking."

I took this to mean that he took sport extremely seriously.

He sent me a personal reply to a tweet some time back.

The trouble with social media is that you can't un-press the send button.

Only certain American presidents should be banned from tweeting. We all need to be careful online as we run huge risks of being misinterpreted.

BTW prospective employers often check FB accounts rather than CVs when deciding who gets the job. Be warned!

Despite him knowing me from his days at Derby (and he was a hero of mine) I have emailed and messaged him several times over the years, but he's never had the decency to reply to me.

As someone said it's best not to meet your heroes.  They can be a big disappointment in real life when you do.

Sad thing is he seemed to change after he went to the USA  

1 hour ago, Brummie Steve said:

No offence intended at all. It was a totally different cricket match!

Neither, I am certain, did Alan intend to upset a 14 year old lad who just happened to hit a raw nerve.

I recall being at a match where a player was hurt and 'fans' started chanting 'Bring on the Bostik!' A fairly inocuous joke. One fan went ballistic and screamed at the crowd. "Shut up! He could be badly hurt!" He wasn't and this was at a time when Bremner etc made a meal of the slightest contact. Plus ça change!

I agree with you about Alan and am proud to have taken this photo.

PS at least you got to talk to him and I'm sure he never meant to upset you either!

57AC97DD-6914-4C20-81C4-474C82FB9607.jpeg

i'm a bit more concerned by what that bloke behind him is doing.  I think he may have taken the cries of sheep shaggers a little to literally.

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

i'm a bit more concerned by what that bloke behind him is doing.  I think he may have taken the cries of sheep shaggers a little to literally.

Love how the crowd are watching the match instead of the explicit sexual activity going on behind Gladys.

Unfortunate choice of words. Is it more than that? I've only seen the image file of his post on this thread so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing? For me it's not as cut and dried as the Spamage episode and most on here know how cranky I get over race issues.

I'd also like to think that after a 30 year association, Seattle might have handled it a little differently too. Perhaps a very public dressing down / first & only warning would have sufficed? 

Slight tangent but I really think that any public figure who uses social media should probably seek a bit of training or have someone sanity-check content prior to posting, as it's such a feckin minefield these days. 

You can see why famous people usually have assistants to manage their social media accounts.

It’s sad to see a genuine legend of our club losing his job and getting hammered from pillar to post for a tweet. People are trying to discredit him and his legacy based on a comment made in poor taste.

I guess it’s just a sign of the hyper sensitive times we live in, but also a lesson for footballers past and present to avoid discussing hot topics and potentially posting controversial remarks.

I don’t for one minute believe Alan Hinton is racist. From a different generation and a different time when multiculturalism was still developing? Yes. Lacking in self-awareness? Sure. In need of someone to monitor his social media activity? Absolutely. But racist? No.

20 hours ago, Mazzaram said:

He was a Rams legend for sure, and he was one of my early idols. However, his reputation with me was tarnished in the early 70's after an incident at a charity cricket match which I think I have related on here before. ('Hit it with your handbag Gladys!')

He didn’t like being called Gladys so I guess that needled him. 

he admitted he couldn’t tackle and said “ I was a pussycat”. 

P.s. (every time I met brian clough he was extremely rude. They say don’t meet your heros.)

6 hours ago, TommyPowell said:

i would have thought it was pretty obvious the a man would not be impressed being called by a girls name.

If you get angry by a 14-year-old boy calling you a nickname commonly used by the fans that love you, I’d suggest you need to drop the ego and learn some self-deprecation.

8 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Humans are thickle and remember when it suits them.

I've no idea whether that's deliberate... one of those trendy new words the kids make up, formed by merging two other words, but if it isn't it should be!
It works well, and I'll be trying to use it myself at the first opportunity!  ?

Archived