Alan Hinton

RamFan13

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah because I've never thought or said anything contentious in the whole of my life.  

Mate. What? 

Everyone makes mistakes and we've all said something that rightfully needs correcting but don't you think this goes a little bit further than "whoops, that was naughty"?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/22/stefano-eranio-sacked-racist-comments 

9 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Mate. What? 

Everyone makes mistakes and we've all said something that rightfully needs correcting but don't you think this goes a little bit further than "whoops, that was naughty"?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/22/stefano-eranio-sacked-racist-comments 

I remember Michael Johnson's remarks, seems he's rehabilitated himself? Better to crucify them before they have chance though. Hinton has apologised and explained. Eranio I think also apologised. Stimac I've not read.

The current climate encourages people to queue up to prove they are 'holier than though', we never wait to hear the whole of it or consider that people could change their views...

5 hours ago, RamFan13 said:

698F683C-46F2-4C1B-BA09-D901A4C24897.thumb.jpeg.34caaedffc6be30a14f5b63df346474b.jpeg

He was later on in the evening ‘sacked’ by Seattle Sounders as a “Brand ambassador”

views?

I assumed that was a dithering old fellas apology to something tweeted earlier.  Looks like as a brand ambassador he's been asked to tweet something in the current climate and got his knickers in a twist . Nothing to see here . 

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I remember Michael Johnson's remarks, seems he's rehabilitated himself? Better to crucify them before they have chance though. Hinton has apologised and explained. Eranio I think also apologised. Stimac I've not read.

The current climate encourages people to queue up to prove they are 'holier than though', we never wait to hear the whole of it or consider that people could change their views...

Eranio made it even worse in his apology.

We're not talking about people being 'crucified' but rightfully being sacked from a job where they have a platform to share racists comments.

I really don't see what was so strange about sage remarking that some former Derby legends have made some disgusting remarks. 

58 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I really don't see what was so strange about sage remarking that some former Derby legends have made some disgusting remarks. 

It makes it sound like that is all they are, that potentially one comment defines the whole of their lives past and future. When maybe they were misunderstood, or misquoted or just ill-spoken. I repeat who amongst us hasn't made remarks they would currently be castigated for.

Hinton apologised, and said his tweet was misunderstood.

Graham Richards infamous '9-11 comment', is that all he was? 

Sometimes it's better to just say nothing. I've seen some ridiculous posts on Social Media along the lines of "where were the riots when Lee Rigby was murdered" or pictures of Black Men looting with a caption "they really look like they're mourning George Floyd" and I started typing a response to say how bang out of order those posts are but after proof reading it I thought better of it. 

And I'm just a nobody with a couple hundred Facebook friends! Imagine being a somebody with several thousand followers reading your words.

*EDIT* just in case I've left myself open to being misunderstood (ironically the reason I states I just say nothing!) I am in full support of the Black Lives Matter movement. I've spent a lot of time all over the United States for work and change is required. I also fully support our soldiers and was outraged by the Lee Rigby murder and I still am. I'm also against burning businesses to the ground and looting but although I don't agree with it, I can empathise with people's anger

54 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It makes it sound like that is all they are, that potentially one comment defines the whole of their lives past and future. When maybe they were misunderstood, or misquoted or just ill-spoken. I repeat who amongst us hasn't made remarks they would currently be castigated for.

Hinton apologised, and said his tweet was misunderstood.

Graham Richards infamous '9-11 comment', is that all he was? 

I think we’re very likely to go round in circles here. Accept your point that we make mistakes. Do not accept that racist remarks should be counted among those “learn from your mistake and move on” comments. 

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

... Do not accept that racist remarks should be counted among those “learn from your mistake and move on” comments. 

What? Why on earth not. There's people out there with very 'different' views on life indeed. How do you propose we all live together if there is no compromise, even if just in the form of 'oh I understand I shouldn't have said that'?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What? Why on earth not. There's people out there with very 'different' views on life indeed. How do you propose we all live together if there is no compromise, even if just in the form of 'oh I understand I shouldn't have said that'?

I agree with you totally. Otherwise, at what point in our lives are we considered the finished article? If our opinions at say 18 years of age are totally different to when we're 50, are we still judged on what we thought 32 years earlier?

And I'm not just talking racism. I don't think I was racist at 18 personally but I did have opinions on other subjects around that time that I cringe about now. For example, during the 2003 Iraq invasion, I thought Shock and Awe was cool. Now at 34 years of age, I think it was totally wrong.

I'd prefer to be judged on my opinions today than years ago and I don't think anybody should be  denied the opportunity to learn from mistakes, no matter the subject.

8 hours ago, Mazzaram said:

I sure did. He was fuming. (Didn't do his batting average any good though. Safe to say his hand/eye co-ordination didn't match the sublime qualities of his feet!)

I remember being among the Rams' players chatting at a change of innings against a Sports writers' XI. 

One said "Where's Alan? (Hinton) the other said "Not seen him since his innings. Reckon he's off somewhere sulking."

I took this to mean that he took sport extremely seriously.

He sent me a personal reply to a tweet some time back.

The trouble with social media is that you can't un-press the send button.

Only certain American presidents should be banned from tweeting. We all need to be careful online as we run huge risks of being misinterpreted.

BTW prospective employers often check FB accounts rather than CVs when deciding who gets the job. Be warned!

7 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah because I've never thought or said anything contentious in the whole of my life.  

Thank you Roy ..... the age of outrage ..... there but for the grace of god go I .... ?

54 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

I remember being among the Rams' players chatting at a change of innings against a Sports writers' XI. 

One said "Where's Alan? (Hinton) the other said "Not seen him since his innings. Reckon he's off somewhere sulking."

I took this to mean that he took sport extremely seriously.

He sent me a personal reply to a tweet some time back.

The trouble with social media is that you can't un-press the send button.

Only certain American presidents should be banned from tweeting. We all need to be careful online as we run huge risks of being misinterpreted.

BTW prospective employers often check FB accounts rather than CVs when deciding who gets the job. Be warned!

What are you trying to accuse me of exactly? I made no reference to his tweets. I do not use Twitter or Facebook - I am a dinosaur when it comes to social media. I said in my earlier post that Alan Hinton was a boyhood hero of mine. He wasn't blessed with lightning pace, but that didn't matter. He could sling pinpoint crosses in from almost anywhere, and he had an absolute thunderbolt of a shot. I merely described the incident that tarnished his reputation for me, an incident that happened when I was about 14. I was young and impressionable and didn't realise how much the 'terrace humour' (and the fans' nickname for him) got to him. I wouldn't act in that way today. FWIW, I am approaching retirement and I won't be submitting any further applications. (But thank you for your no doubt well-intentioned advice).

Alan is a really nice guy and was a great player.

I’m disappointed to see that this has happened. He will be really hurt.

i have no doubt at all that he is not a racist. In twitter shorthand he has expressed himself awkwardly but that’s all.

One of the greats.

Archived