Alan Hinton

RamFan13

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

A sad reminder that attitudes take some changing. 

I'm afraid many of us now in middle age were brought up in environments where other races were seen as outsiders. It's only when you mature and expand your horizons that you learn. 

Some people just don't change, even if they deny it. 

There is some good research that says, in general, most people's attitudes do not change. They just keep quiet. Real change only occurs very, very slowly as the older generation die.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

They say you should never meet your heroes. Sounds like you touched a nerve. ..

I sure did. He was fuming. (Didn't do his batting average any good though. Safe to say his hand/eye co-ordination didn't match the sublime qualities of his feet!)

I think he's said before he's dyslexic.

What he said was not just wrong and offensive but also bizarre. He can't be an ambassador saying stuff like that. But his grasp of English is so poor, its hard to decipher if he was even trying to say what was actually said.

Hinton's been a disaster waiting to happen on social media for nearly a decade now. Wonder why nobody's taught him to use it properly. 

17 minutes ago, Duracell said:

What he said was not just wrong and offensive but also bizarre. He can't be an ambassador saying stuff like that. But his grasp of English is so poor, its hard to decipher if he was even trying to say what was actually said.

Hinton's been a disaster waiting to happen on social media for nearly a decade now. Wonder why nobody's taught him to use it properly. 

You could say the same for the POTUS.

You’re right, Hinton was a lovely footballer but his views as represented here are wrong. Surprised it’s taken this long for the hammer to fall. 

1 hour ago, Mazzaram said:

He was playing for a 'Select XI' against my local Castle Donington First XI, which included the likes of Les Green. When he went in to bat, I shouted the aforementioned words of encouragement. He walked back towards where I was sitting and demanded to know who had shouted the comment. When I owned up and informed him that it was just a bit of fun and that I was a Derby fan, he angrily replied something like, 'You are typical. Brave on the terraces, but different when you face up to me. You are no fan.' Humiliating in front of all my Trees schoolmates. I was about 14 at the time.

I’m more disappointed that there were Forest fans in Castle Donington... can’t remember many ..always token Man Utd, Liverpool and the odd quirky L**ds fan... never many Tree Huggers lol

6 minutes ago, HectorsHouse said:

I’m more disappointed that there were Forest fans in Castle Donington... can’t remember many ..always token Man Utd, Liverpool and the odd quirky L**ds fan... never many Tree Huggers lol

I seemed to be surrounded by them on my estate. Spread like Dutch Elm Disease lol.

I was looking for a suitable gif, about making him stand in the corner. For some reason the image below was an option for “corner”. I decided to post as they are lovely puppies aren’t they.

margot robbie leo GIF

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Hmm who does this remind me of?

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

There is some good research that says, in general, most people's attitudes do not change. They just keep quiet. Real change only occurs very, very slowly as the older generation die.

I agree with this. Certain political events in the UK hasn't increased the amount of people in Britain who are racist, but it has emboldened some people to share views they would previously have kept to themselves.    

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I agree with this. Certain political events in the UK hasn't increased the amount of people in Britain who are racist, but it has emboldened some people to share views they would previously have kept to themselves.    

Agreed, but I'd also add that this change is wider than just the UK.

Just a bizarre tweet all round. Why did he feel the need to post anything in the first place? I can’t really make heads nor tails of what he’s trying to say, in amongst all the random question marks and bizarre use of the English language. The only thing I can really make out is that he appears to have said that he “likes black players because they help him make money” in effect, with respect to helping him earn bonuses. I assume that’s what he’s been sacked for, as that’s clearly not something you should be saying.

The fact that he probably doesn’t even realise that’s racist probably shows how subconscious racism is embedded within certain people, particularly in the older generation. It’s a long road I fear until that sort of racism is eliminated entirely from society.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Just a bizarre tweet all round. Why did he feel the need to post anything in the first place? I can’t really make heads nor tails of what he’s trying to say, in amongst all the random question marks and bizarre use of the English language. The only thing I can really make out is that he appears to have said that he “likes black players because they help him make money” in effect, with respect to helping him earn bonuses. I assume that’s what he’s been sacked for, as that’s clearly not something you should be saying.

The fact that he probably doesn’t even realise that’s racist probably shows how subconscious racism is embedded within certain people, particularly in the older generation. It’s a long road I fear until that sort of racism is eliminated entirely from society.

Assuming the best, he was trying to say "back in the day, I didn't care who you were as long as you were good at football. I've always been blind to race."

Assuming the worst? I don't want to type it out.

I've first followed Hinton on twitter in 2011 and he's been making little sense in that whole time. Makes you wonder how a blue-tick organisation like the Seattle Sounders didn't once think it was a problem that a silver surfer who can't write properly was a good choice of ambassador. You'd think they'd offer training, or if he still couldn't do it, get someone to ghost write his tweets. I don't know. Anything other than him typing a random combination of symbols for a decade until he threw something racist together. 

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Assuming the best, he was trying to say "back in the day, I didn't care who you were as long as you were good at football. I've always been blind to race."

I'd like to think that that's what he was trying to say. I can't imagine he'd be thick enough to think, let alone publish, the idea that he only liked black people if they helped him make money.

Even so, I don't really have much sympathy for someone who's so vocal about his support for Donald Trump.

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

When you see the likes of Lewis Hamilton calling out his fellow professionals for not tweeting/instagramming their support for Black Lives Matter, as though if you dont put your feelings or views on the internet then you are either racist or just dont care, you can understand why people feel the pressure to put something on the web, purely for reputation or to prevent from being singled out (the sad world we now live).

I am appalled at what is happening in America, but posting it on the internet won't change anything, stopping my travel to America, ceasing buying American products etc in our millions until change happens might?

I honestly think/hope Alan Hinton was trying to say he has no problem with black people, had no problem playing with them and if they improved his team and helped them win trophies then great. He just did it in a 80 year old grandad who just cant help dropping the racial slurs at the most inappropriate times kinda way.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd like to think that that's what he was trying to say. I can't imagine he'd be thick enough to think, let alone publish, the idea that he only liked black people if they helped him make money.

Even so, I don't really have much sympathy for someone who's so vocal about his support for Donald Trump.

Didn't know that. Unfollowed him years ago.

Wonder which of our heroes years later will be outed as racists in whatever the equivalent of social media will be. Dreading the day my grandson shows me the hologram of Shaun Barker supporting a right-wing military coup in 2067.

5 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Didn't know that. Unfollowed him years ago.

Wonder which of our heroes years later will be outed as racists in whatever the equivalent of social media will be. Dreading the day my grandson shows me the hologram of Shaun Barker supporting a right-wing military coup in 2067.

Eranio. Wright, Stimac and now Hinton linked to racist remarks. Sad days,  

Archived