Mason Bennett

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Maris Piper or King Edward ?

DET will get three days copy out of that.

The potato: what we know so far

Speculation mounts about potato

What did Philip Cocu say about a potato (in 1998)

Maris Piper: Derby fans have their say on potato controversy.

The potato: what we know so far (again)

Stan Collymore tweets about potato (with any old tweet from him with the word potato in it)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Reading The Athletic today, they relayed the story of a young Championship player last season bought in from the cold to end up leading his team at the end of the season, thanks to a new manager giving him the chance. 

Entering into a new contract negotiation, the player turned down 3k a week to extend his contract by a year, as others he'd usurped were earning far more, and ended up signing a  £16.k extension.

Please don't let it be Mason.

Let's presume it is.  It still makes financial sense.

A player in the last year of his contract can, I think, negotiate to move to another club at the end of his contract from the January of the year in question.  Those negotiations can take as long as you like but the player moves, for free, at the end of his contract which (I think) is the end of June.  Normally a player would negotiate with the buying club for a signing on fee up to the value of his transfer fee.

As I understand it Mason's contract was originally due to end in June 2020.  Let's presume that DCFC/Cocu had decided at the end of 2019 that Mason wasn't going to be part of the future and told Mason that.  Mason was then entitled to look for another club and move for free at the end of the season.  Derby would have got nothing back for the years they've ploughed into developing him and would still have had to have paid his contract until the end of June.

So, what DCFC do is negotiate a new contract with him - a one year extension - but say to him that they still intend to move him on in the summer transfer window, but for a fee and are happy that he finds himself another club on loan in the meantime (to offset all/some of his wages, to get him match fit and to put him in the shop window), possibly with a view to purchase.  He goes to Millwall.

Mason says, OK, I'll sign an extension and I'll move in the summer, but I want an enhanced contract to do so.  Let us presume that they end up agreeing on £16k pw extra from January 1st 2020.  There's 26 weeks from January 1st to the end of June (new signings are usually from July 1st)

26 x 16k = £416K - the sum of money that it costs to get Mason to stay until the end of the season and then move for a fee rather than for free.

Say we sell Mason for £1m - not impossible in the market that was in January, pre Covid19; or say we sell him for £700k with a 10% cut of any future transfer fee should he make it (which he might, or might not). In those cases we are up on the deal.

What has messed up the calculations (and any number of other similar calculations in every club in the country) is Covid19, but even Mel couldn't have guessed that the whole of football worldwide would grind to a halt before the season was out and the transfer system with it.

Covid 19 has completely messed up all the football and financial plans that Mel and Steven Pearce had for the whole of this season and next - does Anya stay (and continue to be paid) or go at the end of June? Ditto Tom Huddlestone and anyone else out of contract. The unknowns are crucifying them. The same is true for pretty much every other owner and CEO and by extension putting every single club at some level of risk and entirely at the mercy (in our case) of Mel.

Perhaps we ought to clap for football club owners on a Thursday night if we want football to come back in anything like a similar form

17 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

A player in the last year of his contract can, I think, negotiate to move to another club at the end of his contract from the January of the year in question.  Those negotiations can take as long as you like but the player moves, for free, at the end of his contract which (I think) is the end of June.  Normally a player would negotiate with the buying club for a signing on fee up to the value of his transfer fee.

As I understand it Mason's contract was originally due to end in June 2020.  Let's presume that DCFC/Cocu had decided at the end of 2019 that Mason wasn't going to be part of the future and told Mason that.  Mason was then entitled to look for another club and move for free at the end of the season.  Derby would have got nothing back for the years they've ploughed into developing him and would still have had to have paid his contract until the end of June.

So, what DCFC do is negotiate a new contract with him - a one year extension - but say to him that they still intend to move him on in the summer transfer window, but for a fee and are happy that he finds himself another club on loan in the meantime (to offset all/some of his wages, to get him match fit and to put him in the shop window), possibly with a view to purchase.  He goes to Millwall.

Mason says, OK, I'll sign an extension and I'll move in the summer, but I want an enhanced contract to do so.  Let us presume that they end up agreeing on £16k pw extra from January 1st 2020.  There's 26 weeks from January 1st to the end of June (new signings are usually from July 1st)

26 x 16k = £416K - the sum of money that it costs to get Mason to stay until the end of the season and then move for a fee rather than for free.

Say we sell Mason for £1m - not impossible in the market that was in January, pre Covid19; or say we sell him for £700k with a 10% cut of any future transfer fee should he make it (which he might, or might not). In those cases we are up on the deal.

What has messed up the calculations (and any number of other similar calculations in every club in the country) is Covid19, but even Mel couldn't have guessed that the whole of football worldwide would grind to a halt before the season was out and the transfer system with it.

Covid 19 has completely messed up all the football and financial plans that Mel and Steven Pearce had for the whole of this season and next - does Anya stay (and continue to be paid) or go at the end of June? Ditto Tom Huddlestone and anyone else out of contract. The unknowns are crucifying them. The same is true for pretty much every other owner and CEO and by extension putting every single club at some level of risk and entirely at the mercy (in our case) of Mel.

Perhaps we ought to clap for football club owners on a Thursday night if we want football to come back in anything like a similar form

?‍♂️ 

17 hours ago, Owd miner said:

he wont be bothered picking up the money every week....worse than a scab in my book.... and that's saying summat....hang on no he ain't but hes a close second....and btw Hilda is still fuming....

I thought he was out of contract in the summer. I might be wrong. But if he is, he won't have a club. As I say his recent history might just go against him

9 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I thought he was out of contract in the summer. I might be wrong. But if he is, he won't have a club. As I say his recent history might just go against him

One other thing that may hinder his chances of finding a new club ........

He is ? at playing football ! 

We've hung on to Mason for too long, really, as we would have been financially compensated for his development up to age 23 but that last contract took him beyond that age. So what you say about the year's extension, @ilkleyram, would have made financial sense at the time.

4 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

He ought to be out of a job and made to sign on . Hilda is still fuming 

he has had a few promising moments but ultimately he simply hasn’t played enough football to progress, and his own fitness record is a major factor in that.

a contract extension makes no sense in the context of events in September, and £16k a week for a reserve would be laughable if true.

11 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

All the more reason to sack him and take him off the wage bill (for any %) we’re paying now and the full % we would be paying after June.

In this climate no one will buy him and if the club genuinely thinks that we could have got £500k plus for him then I’m worried with their football knowledge.

We are haemorrhaging cash and we could take a substantial sum from the wage bill immediately here. I doubt it’s 16k, more like half that IMO.

32 minutes ago, rammieib said:

All the more reason to sack him and take him off the wage bill (for any %) we’re paying now and the full % we would be paying after June.

In this climate no one will buy him and if the club genuinely thinks that we could have got £500k plus for him then I’m worried with their football knowledge.

We are haemorrhaging cash and we could take a substantial sum from the wage bill immediately here. I doubt it’s 16k, more like half that IMO.

Seems a crazy way to do things if true. But yeah, if he was that valuable how come we hadn't sold him before. 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Just imagine how we would look in the world of football when we keep players on the books after criminal convictions for drink driving but then sack them for making a very stupid and ill advised joke to a friend which has been made public. Just a silly overreaction.

He’s an idiot. Any credit he had left with any fans will largely have gone now and his actions this season will have lowered any potential earnings curve for some time yet when he inevitably leaves. 

But sacking him for this would just be ridiculous. Would barely even be worth the legal fees.

5 hours ago, nottingram said:

Just imagine how we would look in the world of football when we keep players on the books after criminal convictions for drink driving but then sack them for making a very stupid and ill advised joke to a friend which has been made public. Just a silly overreaction.

He’s an idiot. Any credit he had left with any fans will largely have gone now and his actions this season will have lowered any potential earnings curve for some time yet when he inevitably leaves. 

But sacking him for this would just be ridiculous. Would barely even be worth the legal fees.

Absolutely not, please consider any company (like Derby County) and their disciplinary process. The bloke has gross misconduct on his file. Came within a gnats **** of being sacked. Any minor indiscretion should push it over the edge to a sacking.

This is that minor indiscretion. Sure any other player, Lawrence aside does if, then it's a minor warning in line, but when you have gross misconduct on your file, then this should tip it over.

Plus finally when in my opinion we kept Lawrence and Bennett on for commercial reasons as much as anything else, well right now in the world, those exact same off the record reasons could be used to get rid.

I'm disappointed in my club again if reports are true.

13 hours ago, admira said:

He’s nothing but trouble and not even a very good footballer. It’s a mystery to me how he stayed at the club so long. 

Bennett is perhaps average at best, but he does have ability, otherwise there is now way he could play at championship level. The thing is, if you are a brilliant player you can get away with character flaws and a record of stupidity. It would seem that MB is intent on a fast track downward trajectory to the lower leagues. 

16 hours ago, europia said:

Bennett is perhaps average at best, but he does have ability, otherwise there is now way he could play at championship level. The thing is, if you are a brilliant player you can get away with character flaws and a record of stupidity. It would seem that MB is intent on a fast track downward trajectory to the lower leagues. 

If every player had the same ‘skill set’ as Mason Bennett but for their relevant position in the pitch, we’d be in league one right now!

On 07/05/2020 at 21:37, Millenniumram said:

Didn’t realise we gave Bennett a new deal before his loan... hope Millwall want to keep him at the end of the season, or we could struggle to find someone else in the division willing to take him off our hands.

Me neither. I've previously been supportive of Bennett, but even ignoring any discipline issues, this extension makes little sense. The guy can't stay fit for more than 3 games at a time and isn't better than what we currently have, as evidenced by him being loaned out. I understand that it's bad for players to leave for free and I'd like to imagine the contract was offered just so we can get some cash for him, but can you really see anyone being daft enough to give us tuppence ha'penny for him?

I can just about understand keeping a player like Bennett in the squad just so we don't have to make any pointless loan moves like the Paterson deal, but I'd much rather Whittaker continue to see game time than Bennett be given yet another opportunity.

Archived